• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until further notice I'll give them an 'E" for Empty pockets.

You know, you say you don't want them making these big money moves, but you incessantly post comments like these. So which is it, hoss?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, you say you don't want them making these big money moves, but you incessantly post comments like these. So which is it, hoss?

Both. It isn't that hard to figure out. I usually say when I want them to make a move. When something comes along that I am in favor of going after I will mention it like I always do. When something is mentioned by others about them possibly going after someone I usually comment on that as well. Just because I don't have someone in mind for them to sign right now doesn't mean I think they could go after someone if I wanted them to.

Last winter was completely different. If you had been on the ESPN board at that time you would have seen me complaining plenty about them not going after certain players.

I do think the reason I am okay with them not signing or trading for certain guys now is different from some fans and probably different from JD's reasons. I am okay with it because my goal for 2015 is to prepare for when our young guys can get here and contribute in a significant way. That means not trading them away and not clogging up roster spots with guys who will block them. I think there are certain fans that are alright with what they are doing for the same reason I am.

Then there are some fans who are okay with it because they are okay with anything the team chooses to do. They accept everything the team's management does and they don't even like hearing anything to the contrary. It really upsets them when some fans disagree with anything the team is doing. The ESPN board used to be full of fans like this. They are the JD apologists and act as if he is related to them. They heavily criticize the fans who think JD never does anything right and yet they can't see that they are just as unobjective in not ever seeing anything of significance that management does wrong. I don't understand either extreme. JD has made his share of mistakes and he has done a lot of good over the years as well. I don't see why a lot of folks have to jump into either the JD-is-a-moron camp or the JD apologist camp.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both. It isn't that hard to figure out. I usually say when I want them to make a move. When something comes along that I am in favor of going after I will mention it like I always do. When something is mentioned by others about them possibly going after someone I usually comment on that as well. Just because I don't have someone in mind for them to sign right now doesn't mean I think they could go after someone if I wanted them to.

Last winter was completely different. If you had been on the ESPN board at that time you would have seen me complaining plenty about them not going after certain players.

I do think the reason I am okay with them not signing or trading for certain guys now is different from some fans and probably different from JD's reasons. I am okay with it because my goal for 2015 is to prepare for when our young guys can get here and contribute in a significant way. That means not trading them away and not clogging up roster spots with guys who will block them. I think there are certain fans that are alright with what they are doing for the same reason I am.

Then there are some fans who are okay with it because they are okay with anything the team chooses to do. They accept everything the team's management does and they don't even like hearing anything to the contrary. It really upsets them when some fans disagree with anything the team is doing. The ESPN board used to be full of fans like this. They are the JD apologists and act as if he is related to them. They heavily criticize the fans who think JD never does anything right and yet they can't see that they are just as unobjective in not ever seeing anything of significance that management does wrong. I don't understand either extreme. JD has made his share of mistakes and he has done a lot of good over the years as well. I don't see why a lot of folks have to jump into either the JD-is-a-moron camp or the JD apologist camp.

If you don't think there's a player out there they should open the pocketbook for them stop bitching about them not spending money.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting till they are healthy again. They may grade out higher than expected.

You and I have been locked in on this mindset.

Let ST/1st half of the season play out and see who is healthy/producing, who isn't or can't, then make moves dependent upon this evaluation.

It's really this simplistic to me.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I have been locked in on this mindset.

Let ST/1st half of the season play out and see who is healthy/producing, who isn't or can't, then make moves dependent upon this evaluation.

It's really this simplistic to me.
Absolutely. We may be in great shape after getting healthy. Therefore, blowing money on rentals before we know what we have waiting is ludicrous.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. We may be in great shape after getting healthy. Therefore, blowing money on rentals before we know what we have waiting is ludicrous.

I agree. That's why I liked the Detweiler trade so much. High upside guy that could be a #3 and we didn't really give up anything for him. Hae was miscast in the bullpen in DC, and the Nats stadium is pretty neutral so it's not like he's coming from San Diego. Detweiler may look very good in ST and then we'd all be a lot more amicable to things if everyone else is healthy.

I for one won't bitch incessantly about the Rangers not spending money if I don't think the right player and deal is out there.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK if ya'll don't want to talk tonight I think I'll just go and eat a can of worms.:pound:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, everyone stopped posting after my post.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK if ya'll don't want to talk tonight I think I'll just go and eat a can of worms.:pound:
I have been in and out ever since. Watched the Heisman.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox to sign Melky Cabrera. 3/45 it sounds like.

That's quite a transformation for the White Sox. They should contend for that division.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have $10-12MM in financial flexibility remaining; but, because of the health questions surrounding their core players, they could sit on that cash until midseason when they will have had time to gauge what kind of team they really have, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have $10-12MM in financial flexibility remaining; but, because of the health questions surrounding their core players, they could sit on that cash until midseason when they will have had time to gauge what kind of team they really have, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News.

Depending on Harrisons status they may have more $ and Fielder if he can't comeback too

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on Harrisons status they may have more $ and Fielder if he can't comeback too

That would make sense, but I don't know that this team's budget would change even with an influx of a few mllion in insurance money. Their share of the national TV revenue and their local TV revenue have increased substantially from what it was two years ago and they still haven't raised their budget very much at all from what it was two years ago.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make sense, but I don't know that this team's budget would change even with an influx of a few mllion in insurance money. Their share of the national TV revenue and their local TV revenue have increased substantially from what it was two years ago and they still haven't raised their budget very much at all from what it was two years ago.

Not sure what the insurance covers but if we sit on 10-12 million now, and we get 5-10 million covered by insurance, that's a pretty sizeable piece that could be added

I doubt we're in serious contention next year, but anything can happen if a couple people rebound and a couple get healthy

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the insurance covers but if we sit on 10-12 million now, and we get 5-10 million covered by insurance, that's a pretty sizeable piece that could be added

I doubt we're in serious contention next year, but anything can happen if a couple people rebound and a couple get healthy

It is definitely good to have some flexibility. I have always thought the budget could be stretched at the trade deadline anyway. I do wonder if they are waiting to see if a player falls through the cracks like Cruz did last year and are reserving some money for such a circumstance.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with the wait and see mode on some of these younger guys when they get a shot,

Guys like Rua/Choice/Smolinski & Odor/Profar need to play as much as possible

Fielder and Choo need to split DHing duties, with Rua, Choice and/or Smolinski getting on the field

If some bomb, like Choice did last year, hopefully someone else can step up, if not, you consider making a move potentially, but only if they're in the hunt