• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More likely:

Yu, DH, #3 guy, Lewis, followed by one of Detwiler, Tep, Chi Chi or N Mart most likely.

I think they give Detwiler a shot to start and see how it plays out

JD has said they acquired him to give him a chance to start.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I still don't think they're "penny pinching". Just because you don't throw your hat in the ring with some of these asinine spenders doesn't mean they're in penny pinching mode.

my thought too. if the right deal comes along i'm sure we have the flexibility to make it happen

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you written off Profar?

no but the Rangers have already stated that Profar will definitely start the season in the minors so i think they have for at least the 1st half of the season

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I still don't think they're "penny pinching". Just because you don't throw your hat in the ring with some of these asinine spenders doesn't mean they're in penny pinching mode.

They will spend when the time is right, the time hasn't been right. If all the moves last offseason had worked out and they were contending last year they would have been buyers at the break. If the organization thought they were a big piece or 2 away from being in position to make another run, then they would spend now. No point in moving the budget from 130 million to 180 million just for the sake of acquiring salaries. The pieces have to be the right fit and the money has to be spent when they are in position to add a the piece or 2 that takes the club back to a deep playoff run. That is probably a season or 2 away still

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If detwiler is your number 3. You're in serious trouble

That's no joke. ''Giving him a chance to earn a spot in the rotation'' is a long way from #3. If he's the Rangers 3rd best starter, they are in a major bind

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would never expect them to be up there with the Yankees, Angels, or the Dodgers. They could increase their spending a good bit and still not be anywhere close to that level.

I view it as "penny pinching" and you don't . That is a basic disagreement and there is nothing wrong with that. I think with their present budgetary mindset that it would take something phenomenal for them to go over their budget in the offseason. If Shields told them he would come here on a 3 year $37 million deal they would bust their budget for that. Short of a miracle causing something great to fall into their laps at a huge discount they are not going to bust their budget. That is the kind of "right piece" that would have to come along for them to spend over the budget. In other words the "right piece" probably didn't exist and won't exist until they decide they can raise the budget. I think their budget has a lot to say in what exactly the meaning of a "right piece" is.

Now, I think they would work with a whole new set of rules during the season if they knew they were in contention at deadline time. They would then bring in a half year rental and bust the budget for half a year.

Again, that is how I read things. I understand that others may fail to see things the same way.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's no joke. ''Giving him a chance to earn a spot in the rotation'' is a long way from #3. If he's the Rangers 3rd best starter, they are in a major bind
Just stuck his name there because of what we have right now I would think he is higher than Lewis or anyone else we have

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never expect them to be up there with the Yankees, Angels, or the Dodgers. They could increase their spending a good bit and still not be anywhere close to that level.

I view it as "penny pinching" and you don't . That is a basic disagreement and there is nothing wrong with that. I think with their present budgetary mindset that it would take something phenomenal for them to go over their budget in the offseason. If Shields told them he would come here on a 3 year $37 million deal they would bust their budget for that. Short of a miracle causing something great to fall into their laps at a huge discount they are not going to bust their budget. That is the kind of "right piece" that would have to come along for them to spend over the budget. In other words the "right piece" probably didn't exist and won't exist until they decide they can raise the budget. I think their budget has a lot to say in what exactly the meaning of a "right piece" is.

Now, I think they would work with a whole new set of rules during the season if they knew they were in contention at deadline time. They would then bring in a half year rental and bust the budget for half a year.

Again, that is how I read things. I understand that others may fail to see things the same way.

Hell, I think they'd raise the budget for shields at 3 years and 45-50 million, but that's not going to happen. Frankly, I'd be pissed if they offered Shields what he's likely to get, and Santana, McCarthy, and Lester all what they got

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will spend when the time is right, the time hasn't been right. If all the moves last offseason had worked out and they were contending last year they would have been buyers at the break. If the organization thought they were a big piece or 2 away from being in position to make another run, then they would spend now. No point in moving the budget from 130 million to 180 million just for the sake of acquiring salaries. The pieces have to be the right fit and the money has to be spent when they are in position to add a the piece or 2 that takes the club back to a deep playoff run. That is probably a season or 2 away still

I did think the time was right in the previous offseason and they didn't spend. I was sick to my stomach the night we lost out on Abreu seeing what Chicago got him for. I would have liked to see them try to get Nellie once the bottom dropped out of his market. I also would have liked for them to go after Napoli and McCann. Last year I definitely flet the time was right and JD disagreed and I believe it was because he didn't want to spend anymore than he did.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did think the time was right in the previous offseason and they didn't spend. I was sick to my stomach the night we lost out on Abreu seeing what Chicago got him for. I would have liked to see them try to get Nellie once the bottom dropped out of his market. I also would have liked for them to go after Napoli and McCann. Last year I definitely flet the time was right and JD disagreed and I believe it was because he didn't want to spend anymore than he did.

They offered Cruz more than he got from Baltimore, and they did make an offer to Napoli. They were also on on McCann and I'm damn glad they didn't pay him what New York did. So what exactly did you want JD to do different?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I think they'd raise the budget for shields at 3 years and 45-50 million, but that's not going to happen. Frankly, I'd be pissed if they offered Shields what he's likely to get, and Santana, McCarthy, and Lester all what they got

I wouldn't want them spending that on those guys either. I just brought up Shields as an example of how much of a miracle I think it would take. Then I wasn't happy last year with the two guys they spent on.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They offered Cruz more than he got from Baltimore, and they did make an offer to Napoli.

The QO to Cruz doesn't count. JD would have never offered that if he thought Nellie would take it. Once the bottom dropped out on Cruz we never made an offer. I never saw anything about us offering Napoli anything at all. Of the ones I mentioned Abreu was the only one I read where we actually made an offer.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want them spending that on those guys either. I just brought up Shields as an example of how much of a miracle I think it would take. Then I wasn't happy last year with the two guys they spent on.

What exactly would you want him to do different than what he's currently doing? Don't bring up budget constraints. Tell me what smart business moves you'd like him to pull out of his hat. I don't mean generic broad sweeping statements like "make a trade for a #3 starter."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly would you want him to do different than what he's currently doing? Don't bring up budget constraints. Tell me what smart business moves you'd like him to pull out of his hat. I don't mean generic broad sweeping statements like "make a trade for a #3 starter."

I'm not talking about the QO. JD has said they offered Cruz two years at more money after the QO and he turned it down.

Yes, JD talked to Napoli about coming back. He wanted to stay in Boston.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“We’re still open to adding additional starting depth,” Daniels said. “We've got a number of internal options coming to compete for a spot, all of them that we like. But you can never have enough and we’ll continue having conversations about adding another starter.”

They are "open" to adding starting "depth". That sounds like they are looking for someone to compete for the role of a starter.

Rangers not done looking for pitching - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about the QO. JD has said they offered Cruz two years at more money after the QO and he turned it down.

Yes, JD talked to Napoli about coming back. He wanted to stay in Boston.

I disagree that they made an offer to either one of them other than the QO.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that they made an offer to either one of them other than the QO.

We've talked about this before. It's documented. I don't have time to find it, but it is. I don't know whether an official offer was submitted to Napoli or not, but they did have extensive conversations and you're lying to yourself if you don't think figures were exchanged.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What gave you the idea that I am clamoring for him to make a move at the present? My focus in on 2017 with the chance that 2016 might be special. I don't want rent a players and I never wanted to overpay either in prospects or dollars for guys like Miley, or Masterson.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've talked about this before. It's documented. I don't have time to find it, but it is. I don't know whether an official offer was submitted to Napoli or not, but they did have extensive conversations and you're lying to yourself if you don't think figures were exchanged.

Yes, I have talked about it with several folks before and no one can ever find documentation. They couldn't even do so in the early part of this year. It doesn't exist.