• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is why

Report: Rangers have had discussions with Sergio Santos
by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com
The Rangers have had discussions with free-agent reliever Sergio Santos , according to FoxSports.com.

Santos struggled with injuries last season, posting an 8.57 ERA over 21 innings. The 31-year-old has battled arm injuries since leaving the White Sox in 2011.

Yep. Multiple sources have reported that Santos is the RHP for the bullpen that the Rangers are close to signing. So unless JD has 2 RHP lined up to sign for the pen, Santos is the mystery guy unfortunately.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone else been underwhelmed by the moves so far? I count one guy off waivers and trading for a pitcher from the Phillies. Both of these guys I've never heard of. I don't expect a Jon Lester type acquisition everytime, but it would be nice to know who we're acquiring. Is JD gonna pick up another bat or two?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone else been underwhelmed by the moves so far? I count one guy off waivers and trading for a pitcher from the Phillies. Both of these guys I've never heard of. I don't expect a Jon Lester type acquisition everytime, but it would be nice to know who we're acquiring. Is JD gonna pick up another bat or two?

Do you really think JD is going to tell us all his strategy for the offseason? That would be like Romo telling the defense what play he's about to run at the line. That would be stupid.

Conversely, I'm happy JD isn't making moves that only mildly improve our team this season, and hurt us long term.

Really? You've never heard of Detweiler?

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway it's the Nationals, not the Phllies.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think JD is going to tell us all his strategy for the offseason? That would be like Romo telling the defense what play he's about to run at the line. That would be stupid.

Conversely, I'm happy JD isn't making moves that only mildly improve our team this season, and hurt us long term.

Really? You've never heard of Detweiler?

That last sentence you had were my first thoughts as well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to Jeff Wilson:

Rangers will continue to look for a starter after adding Ross Detwiler, "but this takes the edge off," GM Jon Daniels said.

don't know how much this is worth but just read it

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Matt Harrison hoping to throw in January
by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com
Rangers pitcher Matt Harrison is hoping to begin throwing in January, according to FoxSports.

Harrison is coming off back surgery, and is expected to meet with doctors next week. While Harrison could start throwing soon, general manager Jon Daniels has said he doesn't expect Harrison to be at 100 percent by spring training. Harrison was limited to four starts last season due to the injury.

Man can this guy catch a break and have a few healthy seasons?

i doubt seriously that the Rangers are expecting anything out of this.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to Jeff Wilson:

Rangers will continue to look for a starter after adding Ross Detwiler, "but this takes the edge off," GM Jon Daniels said.

don't know how much this is worth but just read it

JD basically just told everyone, "Look, we're not in desperation mode."

I get the feeling that's what other teams thought was going on and that's why JD felt like they were asking for too much this week.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

understood that from it but it tells me also that the Rangers are still looking for a starter so is it:

1) Yu, Derek, ????, Detwiler & Lewis

or

2) Yu, Derek, Detwiler, Lewis & ????

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the feeling that's what other teams thought was going on and that's why JD felt like they were asking for too much this week.

what do you think about the earlier conversation about a lower price tag on Hamels now that other teams have made their moves?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am definitely not surprised by what has transpired so far this offseason. They have decided on a budget for reasons only they know and that budget along with who is available pretty much has JD painted into a corner. If they had had a bigger budget I think both this offseason and the last one would have played out differently, but JD warned us that it would be this way so I am not surprised. I don't know if the owners recouped some of their purchase price with an upfront payment on the new TV contract or what, but something we don't know about has put them in "penny pinching" mode. I just hope it is a temporary thing.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had read something about this as well a few days ago. I hope that is not who JD is talking about.

I don't want any part of another guy with arm injury issues, no matter what the cost. Cant we just avoid these types and just gamble on the young arms and not some 31 year old who wasn't very good without injury issues

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you think about the earlier conversation about a lower price tag on Hamels now that other teams have made their moves?

I think it's absolutely worth checking into. I would still dangle Andrus.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am definitely not surprised by what has transpired so far this offseason. They have decided on a budget for reasons only they know and that budget along with who is available pretty much has JD painted into a corner. If they had had a bigger budget I think both this offseason and the last one would have played out differently, but JD warned us that it would be this way so I am not surprised. I don't know if the owners recouped some of their purchase price with an upfront payment on the new TV contract or what, but something we don't know about has put them in "penny pinching" mode. I just hope it is a temporary thing.

And I still don't think they're "penny pinching". Just because you don't throw your hat in the ring with some of these asinine spenders doesn't mean they're in penny pinching mode.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
understood that from it but it tells me also that the Rangers are still looking for a starter so is it:

or

Way too early to tell. How everyone performs in ST will determine that. It wouldnt surprise me to see them add another potential high upside guy like Detweiler.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or

More likely:

Yu, DH, #3 guy, Lewis, followed by one of Detwiler, Tep, Chi Chi or N Mart most likely.

I think they give Detwiler a shot to start and see how it plays out

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or

If detwiler is your number 3. You're in serious trouble

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or

I think it will be Yu, Derek, Lewis, ?, ?

The question marks will be who wins from a group to include Detwiler and probably one more starting candidate acquisition, as well as Nick T., Nick M., Bonilla, Chi Chi, and maybe even Thompson.