• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels said the Rangers are close to finalizing a deal for a free-agent right-handed reliever. There are several former Rangers on the market, including Mike Adams, but Daniels said the club isn't adding a former player.

And Daniels said the team won't get anything finalized until next week, several days after the winter meetings conclude.

The reliever will most likely be a one-inning setup man to closer Neftali Feliz. Daniels ruled out the potential new reliever would take over for Feliz in case he was hurt. Daniels said Tanner Scheppers would become the closer if Feliz went down.

Winter meeting notes: A Rangers signing is coming - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finding a left fielder not a priority: Daniels has said pitching is the No. 1 priority of the offseason, and the Rangers still haven't closed a deal on any one despite talking to numerous teams. It seems finding a corner outfielder in free agency or by trade isn't a major concern, either. Daniels, again, said Ryan Rua, Mitch Moreland, Jake Smolinski and Michael Choice will compete for the job. If the Rangers make a move for a corner outfielder, it would have to come in the order of a trade and that would have to overwhelm the team. Alex Rios, who played for the Rangers last season, is not in the plans to return.

"Just the allocation of resources," Daniels said when asked about his reasoning for not chasing an outfielder. "I like our group. That's the beauty of having young players, that you believe in them. It's hard to write down on paper what these guys are going to do. Believe in the group. I believe in the environment that's going to be created, the instruction and these guys are going to get better. You look around the game and they aren't too many lineups, one through nine, that put a lot of fear into you. That's a little bit of the nature of the game right now."
Winter meeting notes: A Rangers signing is coming - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels said if and when left-handed pitcher Barry Zito works out for big league clubs, the Rangers will attend. Zito hasn't pitched since 2013. … Rangers prospect Ronald Guzman has been released by Dominican Republic authorities after he was involved in a fatal car accident. Guzman wasn't charged by authorities. Daniels said he plans to speak with all of the players from the Dominican Republic regarding the dangers of driving there.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JimBowden_ESPN: Confirmed that the Angels have traded Howie Kendrick to the Dodgers in exchange for Andrew Heaney #Angels #Dodgers

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JimBowden_ESPN: Confirmed that the Angels have traded Howie Kendrick to the Dodgers in exchange for Andrew Heaney #Angels #Dodgers

They got a young controllable arm, but they have a huge hole at second base now. We can trade them Roogie for Trout.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid has a good sense of humor.

Last edited by a moderator:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it took to get Wade Miley was Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, and a low-level minor leaguer yet to be named?!?! That's the offer the DBacks held out for?!?! One mediocre 5th starter, a complete spare from the bullpen, and a no-name prospect? Wow. I can't believe we couldn't top that offer for a mid-rotation starter as durable and reliable as Miley.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it took to get Wade Miley was Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, and a low-level minor leaguer yet to be named?!?! That's the offer the DBacks held out for?!?! One mediocre 5th starter, a complete spare from the bullpen, and a no-name prospect? Wow. I can't believe we couldn't top that offer for a mid-rotation starter as durable and reliable as Miley.

From what I've read people are happy Texas didn't try to match. It's easy to undervalue other prospects and over value your own.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read people are happy Texas didn't try to match. It's easy to undervalue other prospects and over value your own.

every prospect is just that a prospect. you don't know if he will amount to anything no matter how high he is ranked in your or anther team's system. he may be lights out in the minors and then be a total washout in the majors

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every prospect is just that a prospect. you don't know if he will amount to anything no matter how high he is ranked in your or anther team's system. he may be lights out in the minors and then be a total washout in the majors

Ok. So what's your point?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources: Texas Rangers express interest in outfielder Eric Young Jr., but market may have bypassed them | Dallas Morning News

Come spring, the Rangers will have a better idea on the health and relative productivity of Prince Fielder, Shin-Soo Choo, Yu Darvish, Tanner Scheppers and, perhaps most importantly, Jurickson Profar. If Profar is finally over his shoulder injury, it would give the Rangers an honest-to-goodness surplus of front-line middle infielders. That would allow them to trade either Profar at closer to full value or Rougned Odor, whose value is off the charts right now, for the young, controllable starting pitcher they seek.

Until then, the Rangers may just have to do what they’ve done so far this winter: Watch, wait and be prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. So what's your point?

Generally speaking, the notion used to be that if you could acquire a proven MLB talent...then "prospects" didnt matter.

IE... proven MLB talent > the unknown with a prospect

And for the most part, I agree with this theory....as there have been alot of "cant miss" prospects...that well...miss.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally speaking, the notion used to be that if you could acquire a proven MLB talent...then "prospects" didnt matter.

IE... proven MLB talent > the unknown with a prospect

And for the most part, I agree with this theory....as there have been alot of "cant miss" prospects...that well...miss.

Understand what you are saying and is the reason I am for giving up a couple of prospects for Hamels. But who the prospects are for which MLB talent is important and I know everyone on here already knows that. So for someone like Shields I would not be for that scenario.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understand what you are saying and is the reason I am for giving up a couple of prospects for Hamels. But who the prospects are for which MLB talent is important and I know everyone on here already knows that. So for someone like Shields I would not be for that scenario.

fwiw, for Hamels (mainly since he's in the NL).. I'd be ok with sending Profar, Thompson or Chi Chi, Williams and one of LuJax, Tepesch, Martinez, Ross, Scheppers

But they better be kicking a sizeable portion of his contract.

Now...would that offer get it done? Highly unlikely.