• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Ken is clueless

3:46pm: The Red Sox are actually not involved at all in discussions on Miley, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. Miami is still in the picture, Nightengale tweets.

3:40pm: The Red Sox are indeed nearing a deal to acquire Miley, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports..

3:21pm: The Marlins and Rangers are out on Miley, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, leaving the Red Sox as the likely suitor unless another team has jumped in.
Watch him ending up going to Oakland. Ha

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volquez wants over 20MM for 2 years. I'm not sure how Masterson's contract will play out, but he might not be that much cheaper, if at all.

Masterson was hurt last year so including that ERA doesn't do much for me.

Where did you see that Volquez wanted that much. I haven't seen one thing about him. I must have missed it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of them is going to come off as very misinformed when all is said and done. Usually the rumor guys keep it fairly vague, like they're "hearing team x might be in on player x". But these two rumors are more the absolute/definitive nature, like each guy is sure he's 100% right.

Hard to believe that two supposedly well-connected journalists could be reporting exactly the opposite news from one another. Someone needs to find new sources.

I have noticed this kind of reporting about the Rangers many times over the past few offseasons. It doesn't surprise me at all. Every year folks just keep lapping up whatever slop they throw out there it seems.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volquez wants over 20MM for 2 years. I'm not sure how Masterson's contract will play out, but he might not be that much cheaper, if at all.

Masterson was hurt last year so including that ERA doesn't do much for me.

Well Volquez wasn't hurt and his ERA was 3.04 and that does do something for me. It makes me interested in him if JD insists on bringing another pitcher in.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Ken is clueless

3:46pm: The Red Sox are actually not involved at all in discussions on Miley, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. Miami is still in the picture, Nightengale tweets.

3:40pm: The Red Sox are indeed nearing a deal to acquire Miley, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports..

3:21pm: The Marlins and Rangers are out on Miley, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, leaving the Red Sox as the likely suitor unless another team has jumped in.

A few years back Ken was so wrong about the Rangers that I quit paying attention to him. I believe he was the one who was convinced Prince was going to sign here when he signed with Detroit.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years back Ken was so wrong about the Rangers that I quit paying attention to him. I believe he was the one who was convinced Prince was going to sign here when he signed with Detroit.

I think Prince was very much on the verge of signing with Texas until Detroit felt they had to make a desperate move and blew Prince and Boras away.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Volquez wasn't hurt and his ERA was 3.04 and that does do something for me. It makes me interested in him if JD insists on bringing another pitcher in.

JD should damn well "insist" on bringing in another pitcher for next year.

I'm probably one-of-one in wanting the Rangers to spend 100% of their available dollars on pitching. Forget the LF nonsense IMO.

If a deal-of-deals falls on us for a position player terrific. If not, get pitching and more pitching. If we play ourselves into position where we need a positional player for 2015, then we'll be able to make a trade at the AS break/trading deadline b/c.....we having pitching which everyone needs.

Am I over simplifying this?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Masterson had a 3.45 ERA the year before last in the AL. My point originally was they aren't very much different. Except Masterson has a better career WHIP, HR/9, BB/9, and ERA. That's why I wondered why you would be interested in Volquez, but not JM.

I'm trying to find where I read how much he's looking for.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have noticed this kind of reporting about the Rangers many times over the past few offseasons. It doesn't surprise me at all. Every year folks just keep lapping up whatever slop they throw out there it seems.

The Rangers are in on everybody the last 3 years. At least it seems that way. HA!

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are interested in Shields eh? Interesting.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly is in need of a SS now that Rollins goes to LAD...Andrus for Lee or Hamels anyone?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrus for Hamels straight up. :nod:

I wonder if they would do that trade? Andrus would play really well in the NL. Andrus and one of our pitching prospects for Hamels...The salary swap would lower their payroll and they would get a young Andrus and good young arm.

I would be thrilled with that kind of return. It doesn't seem one sided either.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly is in need of a SS now that Rollins goes to LAD...Andrus for Lee or Hamels anyone?

Hamels is 30 and is owed 23.5 mil/yr until 2018 I believe. Lee is 36 and is owed 25 mil in 2015 and 27.5 vesting option in 2016 with a buyout of 12.5 mil. Wow! Lee has to pitch 200 innings in order for the vesting option to become guaranteed. Normally that would happen but last year he pitched less than 100 innings and Hamel has been really consistent in regards to hitting the 200 inning mark. I would have to think about this one but if I thought Hamels could hold up until 2018 then having a good pitcher for a number of years would cause me to pick him. But we know none of this will happen. Or do we? :)

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels is 30 and is owed 23.5 mil/yr until 2018 I believe. Lee is 36 and is owed 25 mil in 2015 and 27.5 vesting option in 2016 with a buyout of 12.5 mil. Wow! Lee has to pitch 200 innings in order for the vesting option to become guaranteed. Normally that would happen but last year he pitched less than 100 innings and Hamel has been really consistent in regards to hitting the 200 inning mark. I would have to think about this one but if I thought Hamels could hold up until 2018 then having a good pitcher for a number of years would cause me to pick him. But we know none of this will happen.

I know it won't, but it gets Texas out from under that Elvis contract and they use the savings on a really good Hamels. I would take 3 years of Hamels at his current level though.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it won't, but it gets Texas out from under that Elvis contract and they use the savings on a really good Hamels. I would take 3 years of Hamels at his current level though.

At his current level I agree with you 100%.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At his current level I agree with you 100%.

They would likely want 3 really good prospects. But I think Elvis plus a pitching prospect and Nick Williams/Brinson might be a hard package to turn down.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would likely want 3 really good prospects. But I think Elvis plus a pitching prospect and Nick Williams/Brinson might be a hard package to turn down.

I would be good with that. It would be worth the instant improvement to our starting rotation. Look how well giving up a pitching prospect and position player worked out for us in obtaining Lee. Many pitching prospects are just that, you really do not know want you will end up with but with Hamel he has a history to go by.