• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A number of teams, mostly AL clubs, have inquired on Wilin Rosario and the Rangers appear to be the frontrunners, writes Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post. Texas has relievers that interest the Rockies, including right-handers Roman Mendez, Jon Edwards, Shawn Tolleson, Phil Klein and Spencer Patton, as well as lefty Robbie Ross Jr.

This would be a good trade. I hope we keep Mendez though.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A number of teams, mostly AL clubs, have inquired on Wilin Rosario and the Rangers appear to be the frontrunners, writes Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post. Texas has relievers that interest the Rockies, including right-handers Roman Mendez, Jon Edwards, Shawn Tolleson, Phil Klein and Spencer Patton, as well as lefty Robbie Ross Jr.

This would be a good trade. I hope we keep Mendez though.

Them home and road splits :omg:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to possibly think is that with everything that happened last year there are a lot of things up in the air on how some players will perform coming back from injury or even those still learning to play the game at the MLB level because they were called up sooner than expected. So it could be that JD does not want to do too much until he knows how things pan out. If the team is playing good ball he may make his moves at the trade deadline. It they are not he just waits until next off season. Just a thought.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff passan:Source: Arizona close to a Wade Miley trade.
3:35 PM - 10 Dec 2014

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to possibly think is that with everything that happened last year there are a lot of things up in the air on how some players will perform coming back from injury or even those still learning to play the game at the MLB level because they were called up sooner than expected. So it could be that JD does not want to do too much until he knows how things pan out. If the team is playing good ball he may make his moves at the trade deadline. It they are not he just waits until next off season. Just a thought.

I am inclined to think JD may make a subtle move or 2, nothing flashy that will have any wow factor. Maybe add a 4-5 type for the rotation just for possible MLB experience and depth. I really see him keeping most of our top prospects and seeing what happens with the likes of Profar coming back and others development as in Chi Chi and Thompson. Any real substantial move I think may be made at the trade deadline or next offseason when there has been more time to evaluate the ball club and the injury issues and a real chance at competing again.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am inclined to think JD may make a subtle move or 2, nothing flashy that will have any wow factor. Maybe add a 4-5 type for the rotation just for possible MLB experience and depth. I really see him keeping most of our top prospects and seeing what happens with the likes of Profar coming back and others development as in Chi Chi and Thompson. Any real substantial move I think may be made at the trade deadline or next offseason when there has been more time to evaluate the ball club and the injury issues and a real chance at competing again.

I still wonder if at some point Edinson Volquez doesn't come up as a possibility. I have not heard his named mentioned in any rumors so you would think he would have to come cheaper than other free agents.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably headed to Boston
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Marlins, #Rangers out on Miley. Process of elimination points to #RedSox unless another team is involved.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wonder if at some point Edinson Volquez doesn't come up as a possibility. I have not heard his named mentioned in any rumors so you would think he would have to come cheaper than other free agents.

Why in God's name would we want him?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would you want Volquez, but not Masterson?

edit: didn't see your post Romeo.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Murph, I'm with ya. Been shouting this very take for the longest.

With so many questions at so many spots, it makes sense to me to be prudent.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3:46pm: The Red Sox are actually not involved at all in discussions on Miley, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports on twitter.
3:40pm: The Red Sox are indeed nearing a deal to acquire Miley, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports on twitter.

Get your shit straight guys.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3:46pm: The Red Sox are actually not involved at all in discussions on Miley, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports on twitter.
3:40pm: The Red Sox are indeed nearing a deal to acquire Miley, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports on twitter.

Get your shit straight guys.

All depends on who you ask.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you want Volquez, but not Masterson?

edit: didn't see your post Romeo.

First of all my choice is to not pick up anyone and go with the youngsters since we aren't going anywhere in 2015 anyway. I get the idea that JD wants to pick up another pitcher and doesn't want to spend to much on him. Volquez should be more in JD's price range.

Comparing Masterson and Volquez over the past three seasons gives an ERA for Masterson of 4.62 and an ERA for Volquez of 4.24. After the difference is figured in for the AL vs. the NL they are virtually the same. If we are going to pick up a bottom of the rotation type pitcher I would rather get the cheaper option.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in God's name would we want him?

Murph had mentioned picking up a #4 or #5 and I was giving an option who has performed as good as Masterson has over the past 3 years and who would come cheaper giving us greater flexibility for adding another piece. Why would you be so surprised that I would be interested in a pitcher who threw almost 200 innings last year and had an ERA barely over 3.00?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They see their jobs as providing rumors. They apparently don't feel they have to be accurate.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They see their jobs as providing rumors. They apparently don't feel they have to be accurate.

One of them is going to come off as very misinformed when all is said and done. Usually the rumor guys keep it fairly vague, like they're "hearing team x might be in on player x". But these two rumors are more the absolute/definitive nature, like each guy is sure he's 100% right.

Hard to believe that two supposedly well-connected journalists could be reporting exactly the opposite news from one another. Someone needs to find new sources.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all my choice is to not pick up anyone and go with the youngsters since we aren't going anywhere in 2015 anyway. I get the idea that JD wants to pick up another pitcher and doesn't want to spend to much on him. Volquez should be more in JD's price range.

Comparing Masterson and Volquez over the past three seasons gives an ERA for Masterson of 4.62 and an ERA for Volquez of 4.24. After the difference is figured in for the AL vs. the NL they are virtually the same. If we are going to pick up a bottom of the rotation type pitcher I would rather get the cheaper option.

Volquez wants over 20MM for 2 years. I'm not sure how Masterson's contract will play out, but he might not be that much cheaper, if at all.

Masterson was hurt last year so including that ERA doesn't do much for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Ken is clueless

3:46pm: The Red Sox are actually not involved at all in discussions on Miley, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. Miami is still in the picture, Nightengale tweets.

3:40pm: The Red Sox are indeed nearing a deal to acquire Miley, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports..

3:21pm: The Marlins and Rangers are out on Miley, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, leaving the Red Sox as the likely suitor unless another team has jumped in.