• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except in Odor you are giving up 6 years of control for 1 year rental of Zimmerman, that I just don't see JD doing
I vote with you Murph

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually see Profar as our 3B of the future if he and Odor are still with the team. I think both have potential pop in their bats.

I don't mind that at all. Gallo could move to RF and we could trade Choo. It really depends on how well Williams does. If he steps up we might have to make a decision as we might run out of positions if we kept everyone. That would be a great problem to have and is still a year away.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like any trades the Rangers make will be for 2nd tier guys. JD will never be able to rob someone again, as he did in the Tex trade. We are asking about Zimmerman, Gattis and Upton, and offering mid level guys back. You have to give to get. Not saying that's wrong, not at all. But if someone called about Beltre, we'd shit brinks if the Rangers didn't get a top tier prospect back

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like any trades the Rangers make will be for 2nd tier guys. JD will never be able to rob someone again, as he did in the Tex trade. We are asking about Zimmerman, Gattis and Upton, and offering mid level guys back. You have to give to get. Not saying that's wrong, not at all. But if someone called about Beltre, we'd shit brinks if the Rangers didn't get a top tier prospect back

Key word being A top tier prospect. The Braves want 2-3. They can take a long walk off a short pier.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do have to offer top guys to get a guy like upton and Zimmerman, yes. But you just don't throw all your cards on the table right away. You have to start off with mid tier guys at first. Then slowly build on to what you're comfortable on giving up. If it gets out of JDs comfort zone then no deal. So be it

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are correct on all that. It is a 2-way street on the players we are inquiring about.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not mean for it to come across like that. Some of your pitching should be used for trade chips but I think you have to be careful. When things were going hot and heavy with our success we were trading away a lot of pitching for players to help us at the finish. But some of those trades were lousy (Cantu/Guzman). Just think you have to be very careful about giving up pitchers because it is such a fragile position.

i agree with you it should only be done for quality

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually see Profar as our 3B of the future if he and Odor are still with the team. I think both have potential pop in their bats.

:agree:........Everyone needs to accept the fact that Beltre is slowing down, even if he isn't injured. His range is not near what it once was. But that said, what he gets too he catches, what he catches he throws em out. And his bat speaks for itself. Plus his presence on and off the field is large.

I wouldn't mind seeing Profar get innings at 3rd down in AAA to begin the season.

Next year is AB's 18th in the bigs and the last on his current contract. Not trying to kick him to the curb, but it's certainly something we need to keep in the back of our minds.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:........Everyone needs to accept the fact that Beltre is slowing down, even if he isn't injured. His range is not near what it once was. But that said, what he gets too he catches, what he catches he throws em out. And his bat speaks for itself. Plus his presence on and off the field is large.

I wouldn't mind seeing Profar get innings at 3rd down in AAA to begin the season.

Next year is AB's 18th in the bigs and the last on his current contract. Not trying to kick him to the curb, but it's certainly something we need to keep in the back of our minds.

I got a feeling they will bring him back on that option, because the price for what he brings will be worth it.

Edit...It is a vesting option. If he fails to get 600 PA this year they can decline it. I don't see that happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling they will bring him back on that option, because the price for what he brings will be worth it.

Edit...It is a vesting option. If he fails to get 600 PA this year they can decline it. I don't see that happening.

Agree as you do not get players like Beltre very often. The guy has had over 600 ABs 3 straight years and his stats are as good as ever. Keep him while you can. I know he may not like it when the time comes but I would not have a problem with Profar playing 3rd more and more and Beltre as the DH. I want that bat and presence in the lineup.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JD hasn't been willing to trade a Teixeira since then. Until he is we won't get a major haul back. In his defense last year was the first time we were in position to make such a trade in quite some time. Now, if we are out of the race in July and he trades Beltre then we should get something significant back.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Jackson, Rodriguez, Thompson, Ortiz, Asher and Diplan all piling up in the minors you wouldn't consider trading one of them if the right deal came along especially with Darvish, Holland & Perez anchoring the top of the order and with Telescope looking better

Not really, injuries happen

The right deal better be the right deal, not just moving a pitcher just to make a deal to convince the fan base he's doing something and clearing a "logjam" at pitcher

You trade guys of this caliber for TORPs not MORPs, Kershaws's not Niese's (at least not at this point), maybe if we're in contention you take a chance (a la Garza), but don't sell off early

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree as you do not get players like Beltre very often. The guy has had over 600 ABs 3 straight years and his stats are as good as ever. Keep him while you can. I know he may not like it when the time comes but I would not have a problem with Profar playing 3rd more and more and Beltre as the DH. I want that bat and presence in the lineup.

This AB "never wants to come out" stuff is dismissive IMO.

Management's most important job function is to do exactly this. Bannister, JD and yes, even Wash, shouldn't have to seek out AB's approval to do what is best for this year's team and tomorrows organization.

I love him, and want him to stay here until he retires. But it has to be on our terms. Period.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liriano stayed with the pirates for 3/39.

That's a pretty good deal for both parties. Shame Texas has this paper thin margin of a budget to work with right now. A healthy Liriano would be a solid MORP.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo might find finding a spot hard to find as well Mazara because of people ahead of them. With Mazara you have Martin, Choo, Rua and possibly Choice and Smolinski. With Gallo you would have to put him at 3rd and you still have Beltre and Profar.

Gallo not going to be here when Beltre is still playing 3B, but he and Rua can also play 1B, Fielder's days there are numbered too

Choo can DH, or Fielder, or Beltre for that matter, can as well.... Choice is a crapshoot at this point, and Smolinski is well Smolinski

The logjam isn't really going to be in the OF or 1B/3B its going to be DH

There's some questions to be answered, but given the dismal nature of power hitting these days, Gallo's power is becoming more valuable than starting pitching, not Kershaw/Hernandez level but up there

I keep reading about how its becoming easier to find a starting pitcher than it is to find stud power hitters in todays market

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre very well may not have a contract here past 2015. If he misses any more playing time than he missed in 2014 then his contrract doesn't vest. There is always a chance Gallo gets moved to RF also. I believe Profar is our 2B. If Mazara is ready he will replace someone. Hopefully they can trade Choo to make room for Mazara and free up money for something else. There will be room for both Gallo and Mazara if they show they are ready. JD will make room for talent like that.

He played in 148 games in 2014

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo not going to be here when Beltre is still playing 3B, but he and Rua can also play 1B, Fielder's days there are numbered too

Choo can DH, or Fielder, or Beltre for that matter, can as well.... Choice is a crapshoot at this point, and Smolinski is well Smolinski

The logjam isn't really going to be in the OF or 1B/3B its going to be DH

There's some questions to be answered, but given the dismal nature of power hitting these days, Gallo's power is becoming more valuable than starting pitching, not Kershaw/Hernandez level but up there

I keep reading about how its becoming easier to find a starting pitcher than it is to find stud power hitters in todays market

I absolutely whole heartedly agree with you on this take. Power is at a crazy premium and guys who have the potential to hit 30 a year are gonna be hard to keep. It's why I am baffled that the A's traded 3 players with the potential to hit 30 homers in a season within 5 months. They turn pitchers out Oakland like it's nothing, but 30 homer threats? Those don't grow on trees anymore.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, injuries happen

The right deal better be the right deal, not just moving a pitcher just to make a deal to convince the fan base he's doing something and clearing a "logjam" at pitcher

You trade guys of this caliber for TORPs not MORPs, Kershaws's not Niese's (at least not at this point), maybe if we're in contention you take a chance (a la Garza), but don't sell off early

You nailed it!

I wanted to say this.....just couldn't find the words. Good job.