• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right on. I read after he had the second surgery one of the surgeons involved said, they thought he'd be fine, as far as resuming his career.

I sure hope so. And just from a business standpoint, we're committed to an awful lot of money ($57 mil from 2012-17). And he's a very good (hope not was) pitcher, nice guy, and a bulldog on the mound.

JD has to go in thinking he's a question mark. Could he and Ogando finish an entire year on the mound. Another pitcher, not necessarily an ace, could be a safe bet this offseason.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK....but 302/283/325 is not one good year.

I'm with ya on the defensive end. But, this said, if Soto is our #1 and catches 120+ games, Ruiz would be fine for 30 or so, and his bat would help off the bench, late innings, DH.

I looked him up, and I was actually wrong about his defense... not sure how that happened, seemed pretty ingrained in there, but he's actually REALLY good defensively... must have been someone else I was thinking of... thats what I get the one time I don't actually look it up before I post

but I doubt he signs somewhere to be a backup anyway, plus it looks like the Rockies want him to be their regular catcher with Rosario playing more 1B or OF

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't ever know about such surgeries till put to the test. Can only hope at this point.

Rev posted a really comprehensive study about 29 players with the same injury, they all did make it back...they couldn't go as long, but had no drop in ERA...for whatever that's worth...it's a SSS, but it was encouraging.

For me, we've been burnt waiting for guys, so I'll count him in when I hear he's throwing fine.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rev posted a really comprehensive study about 29 players with the same injury, they all did make it back...they couldn't go as long, but had no drop in ERA...for whatever that's worth...it's a SSS, but it was encouraging.

For me, we've been burnt waiting for guys, so I'll count him in when I hear he's throwing fine.
I'm very conservative. When he's on the mound and throwing then he's back.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking him what he meant because he didn't finish his statement. I wasn't saying everything form the 80's is garbage. How could it be? I'm from the 80's.

Aye, I'll throw Prince in too....and that's about it.
The rest, garbage.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of my moments of lucidity I suppose. Will be nice to have Matt available.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu Darvish named finalist in Cy Young vote. Wow that's incredible. Glad the voters recognized his incredible season.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu Darvish named finalist in Cy Young vote. Wow that's incredible. Glad the voters recognized his incredible season.

Did you hear about the incentive in his contract? I forgot what the exact details are, but it's something along the lines of...he will be able to be a free agent sooner if he finishes in the top 2 in Cy young voting and then top 3 in another year.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear about the incentive in his contract? I forgot what the exact details are, but it's something along the lines of...he will be able to be a free agent sooner if he finishes in the top 2 in Cy young voting and then top 3 in another year.

I would expect they extend him before they allow that to happen.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said during a radio appearance Thursday morning that Darvish has two possible avenues to opt out of the final year of the contract:
1) If he wins the Cy Young in one year and finishes in the “top three or four” in the balloting in another of the first five years of the contract.
2) If he finishes second for Cy Young in one year and in the top three or four in the balloting in two additional years.
Those are some pretty lofty performance thresholds. But if Darvish somehow reaches them and opts out, it’s safe to say the Rangers would be pretty satisfied with the way things worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.