• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked him up, and I was actually wrong about his defense... not sure how that happened, seemed pretty ingrained in there, but he's actually REALLY good defensively... must have been someone else I was thinking of... thats what I get the one time I don't actually look it up before I post

but I doubt he signs somewhere to be a backup anyway, plus it looks like the Rockies want him to be their regular catcher with Rosario playing more 1B or OF

exactly....as long as we get it in the long run is all which counts....right?

He may be the "sorta" backup here @ catcher. But he can hit in the late innings, spell Soto when fatigued, DH, and I don't know, maybe play an emergency 1st.

Good combo, he and Soto.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly....as long as we get it in the long run is all which counts....right?

He may be the "sorta" backup here @ catcher. But he can hit in the late innings, spell Soto when fatigued, DH, and I don't know, maybe play an emergency 1st.

Good combo, he and Soto.

He'll play more in Colorado, still don't see him coming here

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) announced, Yu running 2nd in CY voting
2)announced, Soto already named catcher for the 2014 season...kind of
3) JD going to try and extend Yu now? because if he doesn't... at some point, as most know, Yu can pack up and leave. He finishes 2nd this year, he'll meet the requirements to leave in the next two years, I don't see Yu getting worse.

Does this all tie together, probably not. But you could make a weak case that JD might be in public, and maybe behind the scenes working on Yu.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennie is on a full tear on the ESPN comments spreading unnecessary doom and gloom. Sometimes I wish you could have the ability to shake a poster out of a silly notion. He has such a defeatist attitude and it serves no purpose. He takes everything Daniels says a gospel truth and then rags on him non stop. Can you imagine the undulating feelings Boston fans probably went through the last few years?

Ultimately I am glad to see no one freaking out here too much. It's November 6th, so taking anything as gospel truth today is silly. There is LOADS of time between now and opening day.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its time to explore trading Kinsler, I just think it makes the most sense from a needs/positional and financial standpoints. I feel his value is a little higher than it was last offseason so I think we could get a quality package for him probably pitching specs, we would have to eat some of his contract but it should still give us enough flexibility to sign McCann which would fill a position of need along with adding a power bat, and it creates the opening for Profar to play full time 2B.....it just makes too much sense not to at least explore trading him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its time to explore trading Kinsler, I just think it makes the most sense from a needs/positional and financial standpoints. I feel his value is a little higher than it was last offseason so I think we could get a quality package for him probably pitching specs, we would have to eat some of his contract but it should still give us enough flexibility to sign McCann which would fill a position of need along with adding a power bat, and it creates the opening for Profar to play full time 2B.....it just makes too much sense not to at least explore trading him.

:agree:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Keith Law wrote about Cruz:

Cruz's 2013 season ended when he accepted a 50-game suspension for his involvement in the Biogenesis PED scandal, but prior to that, he'd had a very Nelson Cruz season -- lots of power, a low OBP, dubious defense -- but without his usual platoon or home/road split.

At 33, he probably hasn't acquired any new skills, but I could see teams looking at his road performance in 2013 (.267/.319/.519), or his uncharacteristic performance against right-handed starters (.262/.316/.521 after two years of a .244/.293/.443 line), and figuring he's a middle-of-the-order solution.

I think he's a complementary piece, good for 25-30 homers but with declining OBPs (toward and eventually below .300) as he ages, not someone I'd give more than two years. Texas gave him a qualifying offer, and he's the kind of player whose value could be significantly affected by that.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Dodgers need to be considered a viable option, if you could package Kinsler and someone like Sardinas and get an upper level guy you would have to consider it, whether it be a young pitcher or hitter that fills a need

Most of the Dodgers bad contracts are now exclusively in the OF (Ethier, Crawford & Kemp) but I don't want any part of those guys, so they'll dealing with a little bit of flexibility (also have Gonzalez & Ramirez in the IF making big bucks), so a swap of bad contracts isn't necessarily an option, we don't want any of the OF guys and I doubt they're willing to part with the IF guys

Attached is the Dodgers top 10, I think Seager would be an interesting guy; Kyle Seager's brother projects over at the hot corner someday himself, or any number of pitching guys

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 11.25.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 11.25.55 AM.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Dodgers need to be considered a viable option, if you could package Kinsler and someone like Sardinas and get an upper level guy you would have to consider it, whether it be a young pitcher or hitter that fills a need

Most of the Dodgers bad contracts are now exclusively in the OF (Ethier, Crawford & Kemp) but I don't want any part of those guys, so they'll dealing with a little bit of flexibility (also have Gonzalez & Ramirez in the IF making big bucks), so a swap of bad contracts isn't necessarily an option, we don't want any of the OF guys and I doubt they're willing to part with the IF guys

Attached is the Dodgers top 10, I think Seager would be an interesting guy; Kyle Seager's brother projects over at the hot corner someday himself, or any number of pitching guys

Seager is a name i've heard rumored as part of a Dodgers deal for David Price

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's been discussed here ad nauseam. So who would you trade him to, and for what pieces?

And I don't see how eating some of his contract would give Texas really that much more flexibility for McCann. Some people are estimating that McCann might be a 6 year 110 Million deal. I want the guy, but for 18MM AAV? Trading Kinsler has to be more than a salary dump. Texas has to get back actual major league ready talent, because the all the guys worth signing on the FA market will require giving up draft picks.

McCann isn't the only thing they need to address. Shin Soo Choo is looking to cost 6 years at 110-120, and he too will cost a pick. So say they were to trade Kins and go after those two, they would be spending roughly 37 MM AAV between two players for 6 years. That's not as bad as the Angels, but it's def not smart.

So how would you address the OF DH and 1B positions in a trade of Kins? Getting just "pitching specs" is not going to cut it.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Dierkes projects Cruz to be 3 years at 42 mill but some think the years may be right but the price may be closer to 39 mill. I still think the guy can produce and think he will hold up for 3 years. I am not against 13-14 mill a year but no more. I really want to keep the bat and he may not be a great RF but made some nice plays last year and has a shotgun arm so he can split between DH/OF.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this website moved their clocks forward 1 hour instead of back.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennie is on a full tear on the ESPN comments spreading unnecessary doom and gloom. Sometimes I wish you could have the ability to shake a poster out of a silly notion. He has such a defeatist attitude and it serves no purpose. He takes everything Daniels says a gospel truth and then rags on him non stop. Can you imagine the undulating feelings Boston fans probably went through the last few years?

Ultimately I am glad to see no one freaking out here too much. It's November 6th, so taking anything as gospel truth today is silly. There is LOADS of time between now and opening day.

I don't miss him at all.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It should absolutely be considered, as should all avenues that might make the team better. Just be aware it's going to take a perfect match to make the deal equitable for us and that doesn't always present itself.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't miss him at all.

Me either to be honest. He is someone that always predicts doom and gloom, and then gloats when he was right. When you always say something bad is going to happen, eventually you are right. That doesn't make you prophetic.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's been discussed here ad nauseam. So who would you trade him to, and for what pieces?

And I don't see how eating some of his contract would give Texas really that much more flexibility for McCann. Some people are estimating that McCann might be a 6 year 110 Million deal. I want the guy, but for 18MM AAV? Trading Kinsler has to be more than a salary dump. Texas has to get back actual major league ready talent, because the all the guys worth signing on the FA market will require giving up draft picks.

McCann isn't the only thing they need to address. Shin Soo Choo is looking to cost 6 years at 110-120, and he too will cost a pick. So say they were to trade Kins and go after those two, they would be spending roughly 37 MM AAV between two players for 6 years. That's not as bad as the Angels, but it's def not smart.

So how would you address the OF DH and 1B positions in a trade of Kins? Getting just "pitching specs" is not going to cut it.

If payroll stays about what it was this year, we have about $25 mil after guaranteed contracts and projected arb figures. Kinsler has $62 mil left on his contract over the next 4 years, if we can save even $28 mil of that contract that would give us another $7 mil this year to use putting us around $32 mil of spending money this year. Mccann figures to get about 5 years at $80 mil, that is definitely doable. I had not mentioned Choo and I dont think he is someone we figure to go after. Right now we have Rios, Martin, and Gentry/Beltre in the OF and I dont necessarily think we absolutely need to bring in someone there . I think we can theoretically stick with Moreland at 1B and while hes not the greatest option, he is also not the worst. Morales could be an option to sign along with Mccann, he could fill in at 1B and rotate DH with Mccann and he is projected at only 2 years/$28 mil so there isnt too much long term risk there. So trading Kinsler would most certainly open up options to fill voids.

I think entertaining the idea of trading Kinsler my rest on the result of a Price trade. Profar would have to be included in that, but if we cant pull off the trade then I think we need to make room for Profar by trading Kinsler. A team that comes to mind is the Royals, they have been mentioned as wanting to upgrade at 2B and I think they could use the offense plus they have a lot of talent in their farm so I think it would be something that could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.