• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If payroll stays about what it was this year, we have about $25 mil after guaranteed contracts and projected arb figures. Kinsler has $62 mil left on his contract over the next 4 years, if we can save even $28 mil of that contract that would give us another $7 mil this year to use putting us around $32 mil of spending money this year. Mccann figures to get about 5 years at $80 mil, that is definitely doable. I had not mentioned Choo and I dont think he is someone we figure to go after. Right now we have Rios, Martin, and Gentry/Beltre in the OF and I dont necessarily think we absolutely need to bring in someone there . I think we can theoretically stick with Moreland at 1B and while hes not the greatest option, he is also not the worst. Morales could be an option to sign along with Mccann, he could fill in at 1B and rotate DH with Mccann and he is projected at only 2 years/$28 mil so there isnt too much long term risk there. So trading Kinsler would most certainly open up options to fill voids.

I think entertaining the idea of trading Kinsler my rest on the result of a Price trade. Profar would have to be included in that, but if we cant pull off the trade then I think we need to make room for Profar by trading Kinsler. A team that comes to mind is the Royals, they have been mentioned as wanting to upgrade at 2B and I think they could use the offense plus they have a lot of talent in their farm so I think it would be something that could work.

Question is, how much of Kinsler's salary will the royals be willing to pay?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If payroll stays about what it was this year, we have about $25 mil after guaranteed contracts and projected arb figures. Kinsler has $62 mil left on his contract over the next 4 years, if we can save even $28 mil of that contract that would give us another $7 mil this year to use putting us around $32 mil of spending money this year. Mccann figures to get about 5 years at $80 mil, that is definitely doable. I had not mentioned Choo and I dont think he is someone we figure to go after. Right now we have Rios, Martin, and Gentry/Beltre in the OF and I dont necessarily think we absolutely need to bring in someone there . I think we can theoretically stick with Moreland at 1B and while hes not the greatest option, he is also not the worst. Morales could be an option to sign along with Mccann, he could fill in at 1B and rotate DH with Mccann and he is projected at only 2 years/$28 mil so there isnt too much long term risk there. So trading Kinsler would most certainly open up options to fill voids.

I think entertaining the idea of trading Kinsler my rest on the result of a Price trade. Profar would have to be included in that, but if we cant pull off the trade then I think we need to make room for Profar by trading Kinsler. A team that comes to mind is the Royals, they have been mentioned as wanting to upgrade at 2B and I think they could use the offense plus they have a lot of talent in their farm so I think it would be something that could work.

I honestly don't want a trade for Price. I like the idea of trading Profar+ to the Cardinals for Miller+. The Royals have been discussed here, but many people doubt their willingness to take on Kinsler's contract. How much would you expect Texas to eat to make teams willing to take his contract. Anything higher higher than 25% would be too much.

Relying solely on Profar for this year at 2B is a very sink or swim proposition. Texas knows what they can expect from Kinsler, but can we say the same about Profar?

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't want a trade for Price. I like the idea of trading Profar+ to the Cardinals for Miller+. The Royals have been discussed here, but many people doubt their willingness to take on Kinsler's contract. How much would you expect Texas to eat to make teams willing to take his contract. Anything higher higher than 25% would be too much.

Relying solely on Profar for this year at 2B is a very sink or swim proposition. Texas knows what they can expect from Kinsler, but can we say the same about Profar?

But if we cant find the right trade to include profar in then we need to find room for him and profar has more upside than the current production of kinsler both offensively and defensively. Allowing him to focus on just one position should let him grow offensively as well.

As far as how much the Royals would eat it depends on what prospects they are willing to give up. If they include multiple top specs then I think they would expect us to eat half of it. If not then they should expect us to only cover maybe 20%.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if we cant find the right trade to include profar in then we need to find room for him and profar has more upside than the current production of kinsler both offensively and defensively. Allowing him to focus on just one position should let him grow offensively as well.

As far as how much the Royals would eat it depends on what prospects they are willing to give up. If they include multiple top specs then I think they would expect us to eat half of it. If not then they should expect us to only cover maybe 20%.

Texas needs major league ready players that can tangibly be counted on to add production. I don't know what the Royals have in the way of prospects, but I do know they have Salvador Perez. I would push after guys like that for Kinsler, because prospects and salary dump are not enough back. He's not Michael Young who has no place on the team.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennieyes

Ah yes. I remember after the Garza trade I was perusing the comments on DMN's website and he was on there consistently blasting the Rangers organization, JD etc. He kept on saying how every prospect we've given up will be great and all world players. He sounded more like an old curmudgeon then than he did on the ESPN site it seems. It really was bizarro to me how anti Rangers he came in the sense of ever decision they've made on the trade front.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet real money that JD is looking into every possibility, including trading kinsler

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I too am in the camp that says no to David Price. It sounds reall really weird because we know the pitching history of this organization but we have a plethora of good to great pitching that will allow to be great in that department for some time. We need offense and ML ready offense if we're going to trade for young kids.

KC would be an interesting trade partner but their willingness to take on payroll is always an issue. But for the sake of argument if they were willing to take on Kinslers contract with Texas aiding 25% of it then I would be ok with it. Yes he's a good player and not in a MY situation but you're ridding of about 4 years and 60 million that's left on his deal I believe. Giving 15 million and moving Profar to 2nd which would be a cheap contract for the next few years would be something worth considering. I know Dayton Moore will probably be on a short leash at this point and he'll be willing to do whatever it takes to finally put a winning/playoff product on the field and still having the ability to retain his job if he can convince ownership on going for it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

with KC i would expect that they would want us to eat at least 20M of his 57M contract but that's just my feeling

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me too, ultimately its up to the Rays if/when they decide to trade him though

agreed, i've also heard that Texas was involved with the Rays on Price with Profar, Jackson & 1 or 2 low level hitting prospects being the offer

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas needs major league ready players that can tangibly be counted on to add production. I don't know what the Royals have in the way of prospects, but I do know they have Salvador Perez. I would push after guys like that for Kinsler, because prospects and salary dump are not enough back. He's not Michael Young who has no place on the team.

A Kinsler trade really doesnt need to bring back major league ready talent. We can fill holes through free agency as I stated earlier. Our farm system has taken a decent hit in the last couple years and our better quality talent is in the lower levels and probably at least 2 years away from being major league ready. If we can get top specs that are a year away and producing at the higher levels in a trade for Kinsler while also creating more financial flexibility then I would say that would be a good trade.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with KC i would expect that they would want us to eat at least 20M of his 57M contract but that's just my feeling

I would be very upset if they ate 35% of his salary and didn't get back some elite level talent.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Kinsler trade really doesnt need to bring back major league ready talent. We can fill holes through free agency as I stated earlier. Our farm system has taken a decent hit in the last couple years and our better quality talent is in the lower levels and probably at least 2 years away from being major league ready. If we can get top specs that are a year away and producing at the higher levels in a trade for Kinsler while also creating more financial flexibility then I would say that would be a good trade.

I disagree with that assertion that it would given them enough financial flexibility to fix the other spots. They will have to do that with trades and money. I just do not see how trading to provide more money will fix that. As I mentioned earlier all the big name FAs this go around are going to cost a pick. And an OF of Rios Martin Beltre/Gentry just will not provide enough offensive output to be sustainable. I see too many holes in this lineup to trade Kinsler unless what is brought back is a bat at DH, 1B, or COF.

What prospects are you interested in attaining for Kinsler?

Last edited by a moderator:

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that assertion that it would given them enough financial flexibility to fix the other spots. They will have to do that with trades and money. I just do not see how trading to provide more money will fix that. As I mentioned earlier all the big name FAs this go around are going to cost a pick. And an OF of Rios Martin Beltre/Gentry just will not provide enough offensive output to be sustainable. I see too many holes in this lineup to trade Kinsler unless what is brought back is a bat at DH, 1B, or COF.

What prospects are you interested in attaining for Kinsler?

I just explained how trading Kinsler would provide AT LEAST an extra $7 mil this year on top of about $25 mil that we have to spend if we keep the payroll the same. How does $32 mil not fill our holes? Will we be able to get all the top free agents at the holes we need? no, probably not but Mccann and Morales would fill holes and provide power and would be affordable for us. If not Morales then I could see them getting Granderson to fit financially as well, so why does that not seem realistic and feasible?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just explained how trading Kinsler would provide AT LEAST an extra $7 mil this year on top of about $25 mil that we have to spend if we keep the payroll the same. How does $32 mil not fill our holes? Will we be able to get all the top free agents at the holes we need? no, probably not but Mccann and Morales would fill holes and provide power and would be affordable for us. If not Morales then I could see them getting Granderson to fit financially as well, so why does that not seem realistic and feasible?

Because there are more than two holes to fix in the lineup. Morales and McCann won't do that alone. It also ignores the OF problem. Texas has 4 holes to fix, and 32 million won't be enough to do that. Also under that situation Profar has to match Kinsler's production. A lineup of Andrus Rios McCann Beltre Morales Moreland Martin Gentry/Beltre and Profar is going to lead to the same types of 1-0 losses for Darvish and company next year. The back end of that lineup would be incredibly weak.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes. I remember after the Garza trade I was perusing the comments on DMN's website and he was on there consistently blasting the Rangers organization, JD etc. He kept on saying how every prospect we've given up will be great and all world players. He sounded more like an old curmudgeon then than he did on the ESPN site it seems. It really was bizarro to me how anti Rangers he came in the sense of ever decision they've made on the trade front.

You hit that one right on. He's all over ESPN saying everything Texas is doing is wrong.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well said....it's going to be a combination of moves to make this team better. I can't see more than two new to the team additions to the everyday line up....McCann & a left handed stick for the outfield looks good

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there are more than two holes to fix in the lineup. Morales and McCann won't do that alone. It also ignores the OF problem. Texas has 4 holes to fix, and 32 million won't be enough to do that. Also under that situation Profar has to match Kinsler's production. A lineup of Andrus Rios McCann Beltre Morales Moreland Martin Gentry/Beltre and Profar is going to lead to the same types of 1-0 losses for Darvish and company next year. The back end of that lineup would be incredibly weak.

well unlimited funds would fix everything lol....but that is not what we have to work with and we are going to need to find some way to get extra cash to sign a couple guys. Trading Kinsler makes the most sense since we have a viable replacement. Over a full season at 2B and continued growth, I definitely see Profar at least producing what Kinsler did this past season and it would be worth it to give the kid a shot given his potential. Then if we can use the extra funds to pull off both Mccann and Granderson (I think his bat and speed would probably be a better fit) while also getting a few specs to replenish our farm system then I would call that a good trade and successful offseason.

Andrus
Rios
Granderson
Mccann
Beltre
Martin
Moreland
Gentry
Profar

I think that is a solid lineup

What other moves would you do? I dont see a big bat being available for trade, we are going to have to fill the holes with free agency, and again, if we dont have the right trade in place to move Profar then we need to create a permanent spot for him or else it is just a waste of talent. So again, trading Kinsler makes the most sense.

well said....it's going to be a combination of moves to make this team better. I can't see more than two new to the team additions to the everyday line up....McCann & a left handed stick for the outfield looks good

Yeah I dont see them spending on a bunch of guys, as I mentioned, I think Mccann and Granderson make the most sense and I think Mccann is a must. If we cant get Mccann then I would want to get Napoli back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.