• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back to fangraphs, and look at our other regulars, like I suggested

check out who was a better hitter with RISP...Kinsler or Beltre? (just for fun)

While that stat can be a decent indicator, I think too much focus on it can be misleading. Adrian had a lot of bad luck with RISP this year. His RISP BABIP was .255 while Ian's was .328.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this from mlb trade rumors:

The Rangers have let other teams know they are willing to at least talk about one of their middle infielders -- Elvis Andrus, Ian Kinsler, or Jurickson Profar -- in any trade discussions that come up this offseason, writes MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Industry sources say the club doesn't feel a sense of urgency to move any of the three, but they're keeping an open mind as they have other areas of need to address. Texas has also made it clear to other teams they are not trying to dump Kinsler's salary and they won't pick up any part of the contract in order to facilitate a deal.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and this on McCann:

After re-signing catcher Geovany Soto yesterday, Rangers GM Jon Daniels stated to reporters that Soto was expected to be the team's primary catcher in 2014. However, Brian McCann's agent, B.B. Abbott of Jet Sports Management, tells Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he doesn't think the signing precludes McCann from going to the Rangers. Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest pointed out yesterday (on Twitter) that Daniels made similar comments after signing Soto last season before going out and signing A.J. Pierzynski.
Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News argues that the Soto signing actually makes a McCann signing more likely for the Rangers, as they now have a competent catcher to split time with McCann. Grant writes that the best way for McCann to match or surpass Yadier Molina's five-year, $75MM deal is to recognize the health risks associated with catching and accept a role in which he could start 70 games or so behind the plate plus another 70-80 games at DH.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"it's time to consider trading Kinsler," sure it's on the table, all three were probably on the table...and still are, always depends on the deal...that includes EA

Salary dump? NO says JD....and JD is right, ridiculous to pay Kinsler to play for someone else. He won't do it because it doesn't make sense financially, he's still too valuable.

"Texas has also made it clear to other teams they are not trying to dump Kinsler's salary and they won't pick up any part of the contract in order to facilitate a deal."
OOPS, sorry folks.

Rangers Notes: Profar, Andrus, Kinsler, McCann: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this from mlb trade rumors:

The Rangers have let other teams know they are willing to at least talk about one of their middle infielders -- Elvis Andrus, Ian Kinsler, or Jurickson Profar -- in any trade discussions that come up this offseason, writes MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Industry sources say the club doesn't feel a sense of urgency to move any of the three, but they're keeping an open mind as they have other areas of need to address. Texas has also made it clear to other teams they are not trying to dump Kinsler's salary and they won't pick up any part of the contract in order to facilitate a deal.

Dangit, didn't see that you already posted this...sorry

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While that stat can be a decent indicator, I think too much focus on it can be misleading. Adrian had a lot of bad luck with RISP this year. His RISP BABIP was .255 while Ian's was .328.

I understand, and it certainly wasn't to point out (or pick on) Beltre. Just making a point about Kinsler's production, (I used Beltre to draw attention to the point)

even forgetting Beltre, Kinsler still at the top of the list with RISP.

that's why I'm asking posters to look at Kinsler compared to the rest of team...getting rid of one or our best producers is the way to improve offense? No, unless there's some miraculous deal in the making.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If payroll stays about what it was this year, we have about $25 mil after guaranteed contracts and projected arb figures. Kinsler has $62 mil left on his contract over the next 4 years, if we can save even $28 mil of that contract that would give us another $7 mil this year to use putting us around $32 mil of spending money this year. Mccann figures to get about 5 years at $80 mil, that is definitely doable. I had not mentioned Choo and I dont think he is someone we figure to go after. Right now we have Rios, Martin, and Gentry/Beltre in the OF and I dont necessarily think we absolutely need to bring in someone there . I think we can theoretically stick with Moreland at 1B and while hes not the greatest option, he is also not the worst. Morales could be an option to sign along with Mccann, he could fill in at 1B and rotate DH with Mccann and he is projected at only 2 years/$28 mil so there isnt too much long term risk there. So trading Kinsler would most certainly open up options to fill voids.

I think entertaining the idea of trading Kinsler my rest on the result of a Price trade. Profar would have to be included in that, but if we cant pull off the trade then I think we need to make room for Profar by trading Kinsler. A team that comes to mind is the Royals, they have been mentioned as wanting to upgrade at 2B and I think they could use the offense plus they have a lot of talent in their farm so I think it would be something that could work.

I stopped reading when you said we have Rios, Martin, and Beltre in the OF and you don't think we need anyone else.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, and it certainly wasn't to point out (or pick on) Beltre. Just making a point about Kinsler's production, (I used Beltre to draw attention to the point)

even forgetting Beltre, Kinsler still at the top of the list with RISP.

that's why I'm asking posters to look at Kinsler compared to the rest of team...getting rid of one or our best producers is the way to improve offense? No, unless there's some miraculous deal in the making.
Lainey, I think some are planning on McCann being a shoe in with the Rangers and going forward from there. That's my opinion anyway. McCann may never see Arlington so until then I'm not willing to part with Kinsler at this time. Way to early. If we are trading someone ,I hope it's Profar. Good ss are in demand and Rev's idea to deal with the Cards for Miller and Adams makes more sense. Profar can probably help make a deal like that more realistic than Kins.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped reading when you said we have Rios, Martin, and Beltre in the OF and you don't think we need anyone else.

first I said GENTRY/Beltre, how about reading it correctly before you stop reading it.

second, why does everyone dismiss Gentry? He has yet to be given a full time shot yet he has been pretty productive with his playing time. Gets on base, steals, and very solid defense....why is he always overlooked as an option?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first I said GENTRY/Beltre, how about reading it correctly before you stop reading it.

second, why does everyone dismiss Gentry? He has yet to be given a full time shot yet he has been pretty productive with his playing time. Gets on base, steals, and very solid defense....why is he always overlooked as an option?

nobody is dismissing him but this team needs offense

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lainey, I think some are planning on McCann being a shoe in with the Rangers and going forward from there. That's my opinion anyway. McCann may never see Arlington so until then I'm not willing to part with Kinsler at this time. Way to early. If we are trading someone ,I hope it's Profar. Good ss are in demand and Rev's idea to deal with the Cards for Miller and Adams makes more sense. Profar can probably help make a deal like that more realistic than Kins.

Right.
unlike some others, I think McCann remains at the top of the list for JD, and that doesn't mean he has to trade Kinsler to do it, regardless of what some are trying to imply.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.
unlike some others, I think McCann remains at the top of the list for JD, and that doesn't mean he has to trade Kinsler to do it, regardless of what some are trying to imply.

no doubt he is at the top of the list and my points were not to imply getting Mccann or keeping Kinsler. I think with where we are at right now we have enough financially to land Mccann, but we have multiple holes to fill and if we sign mccann we are very limited financially to fill in other holes.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt he is at the top of the list and my points were not to imply getting Mccann or keeping Kinsler. I think with where we are at right now we have enough financially to land Mccann, but we have multiple holes to fill and if we sign mccann we are very limited financially to fill in other holes.

limited only if you believe that we won't go above last year's payroll but what was it 123M or 145-150M?

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

holes can be filled with trades as well, which I grant you probably know...
(I think JD goes after one good FA, and improves the rest with trades)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say it's safe to say everyone wants to see more of Gentry, but we need power and Gentry doesn't provide that.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love Craig Gentry, but he's not an everyday player. For sure he should start vs any and all LHP and also get starts vs RHP. He's earned his spot as the Rangers 4th OF, but that doesn't mean he's being over looked. He plays a very important role on the team with late inning defense and setting the table offensively when he does play.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I liked the Profar to St. Louis trade was the possibility of getting Adams and Miller both"

I love the upside of Profar in Texas but I could do this deal if the Cards were actually willing.

I know you're as high on Profar as I am, if you're on board then I'm more than convinced now

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, did anyone do the math on how many wins Gentry would have added over Murphy?

Status
Not open for further replies.