• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Soto is the starting catcher like I predicted weeks ago (sorry, had to throw that in there) than Morales and Cruz is where I would like JD to focus. That gives up options at 1st, DH, and OF. I'm sure JD still has a trade in mind also.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is this now?

Geovany Soto, the club's backup last season, was signed Tuesday and named the starter by general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington. Both said that Soto "is our guy" at catcher. But does that mean Brian McCann is off the table? Not necessarily. Daniels wouldn't rule out the possibility of a high-priced player that could perhaps play catcher and some other spots -- like DH or first base.

"We had a player that the more we talked about it, the more we liked what he brings to the table," Daniels said. "You don’t want to ignore what’s under your nose or put all your eggs in one basket from someone outside that you can’t control. But we haven’t ruled anything out."

So basically, they signed Soto which they I think they should of regardless (back-up). And JD is saying he's not going to go all out for McCann if the price gets too high.
I find it strange that they released a statement at all about this, doesn't seem like this F.O.
he must have his reasons for doing it.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Soto is the starting catcher like I predicted weeks ago (sorry, had to throw that in there) than Morales and Cruz is where I would like JD to focus. That gives up options at 1st, DH, and OF. I'm sure JD still has a trade in mind also.

Nice call, I wouldn't have expected JD to name him the starting catcher so soon

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rangers may take a run at the Phillies Ruiz. He had a really awful year, but he's been quite good for a few years, and he wouldn't cost so much too.

The last I read on Alfaro was exactly what you're saying.

Maybe the Rangers will make a big trade, and include a catcher coming back this way.

I really doubt that happens, people don't usually trade good catchers

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I shouldn't have bragged so soon. JD could be blowing smoke.

yeah, something is going on here. Does it make sense to anyone that he would name Soto the starting catcher in Nov?
that's the part that gives a little pause....probably in a good way

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt that happens, people don't usually trade good catchers

He's a free agent I think. He and Soto, IMO, would be a very good tandem.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I shouldn't have bragged so soon. JD could be blowing smoke.

Hey, take the credit when you can. It's not like you're going to do this each and every time. But when you nail it, you nail it, and take the credit.

But I do think for JD to make this "pronouncement" in Nov is more than fishy.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, something is going on here. Does it make sense to anyone that he would name Soto the starting catcher in Nov?
that's the part that gives a little pause....probably in a good way
That would be doing Soto wrong if JD did not mean it. Doubt he would do that.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way JD is not going to improve this team, or have another 'meh' offseason. I'm calling it now (I don't care what he's saying or said....like he's trying to temper expectations), he's going to make a lot of fans very happy

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's possible, but honestly....I don't think Soto's feelings would have been hurt had he not said anything. I think it's posturing...in a good way

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, unless they've just given up on even presenting an offer to McCann's camp, this announcement could be premature.

But I agree with ya. It would be bad form and honestly, unprofessional, not serve him well or the Rangers in the long run, if he's not married to this idea.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't try to take all the credit there buck-o, you weren't the only one saying this:suds:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a free agent I think. He and Soto, IMO, would be a very good tandem.

I'm not talking about Ruiz, that guy was 1 year wonder, solid catcher but meh and really old

I was talking about trading for a catcher, the 2nd part of the statement

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't try to take all the credit there buck-o, you weren't the only one saying this:suds:

hahaha...I love the phrase Buck-O.

I checked and Ruiz is a FA. He and Soto would be a good mix I think.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, unless they've just given up on even presenting an offer to McCann's camp, this announcement could be premature.

But I agree with ya. It would be bad form and honestly, unprofessional, not serve him well or the Rangers in the long run, if he's not married to this idea.
Agree. Not at all professional. But lot of things I do not understand anymore. It will play out.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way JD is not going to improve this team, or have another 'meh' offseason. I'm calling it now (I don't care what he's saying or said....like he's trying to temper expectations), he's going to make a lot of fans very happy

I hope I get to read "I told you" from you in the next few months

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but under your avatar your tagline says Walker, Texas Ranger. I knew instantly who he meant. It gives me a laugh that it took a little bit to realize it was you. And feel free to call me Beltre all you want :lol:

okay Engel.

:D

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha...I love the phrase Buck-O.

I checked and Ruiz is a FA. He and Soto would be a good mix I think.

I wouldn't want any part of Ruiz, he's not a strong defensive catcher and really only had the one year 2 years ago at the plate, and he's a PED violator

I'd prefer someone like Dioner Navarro, he's a solid defensive catcher and isn't terrible offensively

Status
Not open for further replies.