• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we got Soto back. Now JD needs to get a deal done with McCann. The longer he waits, the harder and more expensive it will be.
Good move Justin. Thought Soto was a good back to AJ. Really like him better on defense and may be better at the plate if played enough games. Actually I don't want AJ back. If McCann is not possible, Soto may be our boy.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move Justin. Thought Soto was a good back to AJ. Really like him better on defense and may be better at the plate if played enough games. Actually I don't want AJ back. If McCann is not possible, Soto may be our boy.

I'm with you on that, and maybe even Dioner Navarro.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on that, and maybe even Dioner Navarro.

If McCann doesn't sign here, the pickings will be slim, so Navarro doesn't sound bad as a backup with Soto getting most the starts at catcher, people might want to bitch about that, but its pretty much McCann or Soto at this point, AJ isn't nearly the catcher Soto is, and I care about the defense of a catcher more than the offense, and Soto provides plenty

Hopefully they can work with him on all the K's he's been racking up in recent years

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McCann doesn't sign here, the pickings will be slim, so Navarro doesn't sound bad as a backup with Soto getting most the starts at catcher, people might want to bitch about that, but its pretty much McCann or Soto at this point, AJ isn't nearly the catcher Soto is, and I care about the defense of a catcher more than the offense, and Soto provides plenty

Hopefully they can work with him on all the K's he's been racking up in recent years
If Soto is the man, I'm anxious to see how he handles the bat with ample playing time and hoping for a nice surprise. After watching AJ'S free swinging, we may be in for a pleasant surprise like OBP.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you on Soto and the defense coming from a catcher. He threw out 30% of base stealers which is good and even more so when you consider he was the main catcher for Darvish who is not know for holding baserunners. Plus his bat was looking good in the 2nd half. He has a really nice level swing.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is this now?

Geovany Soto, the club's backup last season, was signed Tuesday and named the starter by general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington. Both said that Soto "is our guy" at catcher. But does that mean Brian McCann is off the table? Not necessarily. Daniels wouldn't rule out the possibility of a high-priced player that could perhaps play catcher and some other spots -- like DH or first base.

"We had a player that the more we talked about it, the more we liked what he brings to the table," Daniels said. "You don’t want to ignore what’s under your nose or put all your eggs in one basket from someone outside that you can’t control. But we haven’t ruled anything out."

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Afraid McCann will be a little pricey. According to MLBTraderumours.com, Yankees are involved. Boston may follow. Hope JD hangs tough but may back down if it gets into 100M territory. Probably has a backup plan in 1B and/or outfield besides Cruz.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Afraid McCann will be a little pricey. According to MLBTraderumours.com, Yankees are involved. Boston may follow. Hope JD hangs tough but may back down if it gets into 100M territory. Probably has a backup plan in 1B and/or outfield besides Cruz.
I really do not look for us to acquire McCann. If not, more money to spend elsewhere. Soto can do a good job. Doesn't have a bad downside except the bat and I'm not sure that may be all that bad.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Yu is in the Top 3 for the Cy Young....

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as anyone knows, is Harrison expected back at 100% for ST?

The reason I ask is ESPN's Buster Olney had an article today ranking the top 4 teams set up to make some positive trades in the off season. He had the Rangers 4th, and noted "the Rangers are looking to add a #1 or #2 type starter to go with Darvish. They are pretty much set with Holland, Perez and Ogando in the other three spots." Couldn't really understand why he didn't mention Harrison.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not look for us to acquire McCann. If not, more money to spend elsewhere. Soto can do a good job. Doesn't have a bad downside except the bat and I'm not sure that may be all that bad.

This may indicate they think Alfaro may be further along than at least I thought. Personally, I like McCann a lot, but have no problem with Soto at all. But we're still in the market for another catcher for 2014.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is this now?

Geovany Soto, the club's backup last season, was signed Tuesday and named the starter by general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington. Both said that Soto "is our guy" at catcher. But does that mean Brian McCann is off the table? Not necessarily. Daniels wouldn't rule out the possibility of a high-priced player that could perhaps play catcher and some other spots -- like DH or first base.

"We had a player that the more we talked about it, the more we liked what he brings to the table," Daniels said. "You don’t want to ignore what’s under your nose or put all your eggs in one basket from someone outside that you can’t control. But we haven’t ruled anything out."

I'm ok with this as McCann is the only guy pursued by several people, use those resources elsewhere if needed and get impact bats at slightly more stocked positions (nothing is really stocked big time)

Still need to take a look into him and others though

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when Soto was named Yu's personal catcher last spring, and then he wasn't for most of the season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may indicate they think Alfaro may be further along than at least I thought. Personally, I like McCann a lot, but have no problem with Soto at all. But we're still in the market for another catcher for 2014.
It's pretty much McCann or who? Read today that Alfaro is close to two yrs. away. Not stuck on Soto but haven't heard any other names out there that we would want.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with this as McCann is the only guy pursued by several people, use those resources elsewhere if needed and get impact bats at slightly more stocked positions (nothing is really stocked big time)

Still need to take a look into him and others though

agreed

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty much McCann or who? Read today that Alfaro is close to two yrs. away. Not stuck on Soto but haven't heard any other names out there that we would want.

I think the Rangers may take a run at the Phillies Ruiz. He had a really awful year, but he's been quite good for a few years, and he wouldn't cost so much too.

The last I read on Alfaro was exactly what you're saying.

Maybe the Rangers will make a big trade, and include a catcher coming back this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.