• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else read the article on Brett Nicholas? Someone to keep an eye on in ST

Rangers prospect Brett Nicholas went 3-for-4 with two homers to earn MVP honors in the Arizona Fall League Fall Stars Game on Saturday. Nicholas played first base for the West Division in a 9-2 victory. Nicholas, a sixth-round pick in the 2010 draft, hit .289 with 21 homers and 91 RBIs for Double-A Frisco in 2013. He was drafted as a catcher, but played more at first base. He said he's going to the Dominican to catch fulltime after the Fall League is over.

"It's something that I believe if I can do, it will make me a little better of a prospect for the Rangers and maybe a little more valuable for them," Nicholas told MLB.com. "Hopefully, some day I can break that 25-man roster."

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis is actively trying to trade for a SS now. They have too many starters and are going to be shopping Miller and Lynn. So that trade proposal we have talked about with Miller+ for Profar sounds damn tempting. Give them a SS and Texas can pick up that 5th starter and a bat.

I doubt they would give us Adams and Miller. Would you trade Profar for just a pitcher? I wouldn't. Profar needs to be traded for an everyday player.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they would give us Adams and Miller. Would you trade Profar for just a pitcher? I wouldn't. Profar needs to be traded for an everyday player.
I threw this out there the other day...it's controversial, we keep Profar, trade Andrus to the Cards for Adams and Miller. Yeh, this is risky...but if Profar is as good as advertised, then this is a win- win....

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? He's not playing at all for Texas, so he has little value unless he plays everyday. And Adams isn't anything that special.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis is actively trying to trade for a SS now. They have too many starters and are going to be shopping Miller and Lynn. So that trade proposal we have talked about with Miller+ for Profar sounds damn tempting. Give them a SS and Texas can pick up that 5th starter and a bat.
From what I also read, Cards may want to move Craig to the OF, leave Adams at first. Beltran may leave, or they may be thinking of moving Halliday to make room for Taveras. So they may put Halliday in front of us. Would we want him rather than an Adams?? I would say no, his defense is not great and he GIDPs a bunch...good hitter though..

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? He's not playing at all for Texas, so he has little value unless he plays everyday. And Adams isn't anything that special.

Exactly. So you would trade him for a pitcher, which is not a weak part of our club, and a 1B that's not that special? It could be an option, but I think we can do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love this trade, but Cards need offense as well....and of course we assume they'd rather move Lynn.

tough cookies to deal with, but maybe....just maybe.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I also read, Cards may want to move Craig to the OF, leave Adams at first. Beltran may leave, or they may be thinking of moving Halliday to make room for Taveras. So they may put Halliday in front of us. Would we want him rather than an Adams?? I would say no, his defense is not great and he GIDPs a bunch...good hitter though..

I read that as well. Tough call between those 2.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I threw this out there the other day...it's controversial, we keep Profar, trade Andrus to the Cards for Adams and Miller. Yeh, this is risky...but if Profar is as good as advertised, then this is a win- win....

I don't how keen they'd be on the Elvis contract...
who knows, but Adams and Miller are cheap, EA is not

It think it's got to be Profar or there's no talk at all.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. So you would trade him for a pitcher, which is not a weak part of our club, and a 1B that's not that special? It could be an option, but I think we can do better.
Because Shelby Miller isn't just a pitcher. He's a dude that is controllable for years, and is a huge talent. You see a way to make the club better and you take it. Of all the options I have heard trading Profar, this is easily the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Shelby Miller isn't just a pitcher. He's a dude that is controllable for years, and is a huge talent. You see a way to make the club better and you take it. Of all the options I have heard trading Profar, this is easily the best.

If it happened I would be ok with it. I've said many times that I'm not as big on Profar as some, but we need everyday bats. If what JD is saying is true, and they aren't going to spend much, that leaves us with a lot of holes in the line-up still. I'd rather trade him for a big bat. If you can get a pitcher and bat, then I guess.

I also read an article on why they kept him out of the WS. It has a lot to do with his velocity dropping and his K rate. He wasn't missing as many bats. I just hope they weren't protecting his value because they know something other's don't.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it happened I would be ok with it. I've said many times that I'm not as big on Profar as some, but we need everyday bats. If what JD is saying is true, and they aren't going to spend much, that leaves us with a lot of holes in the line-up still.

I also read an article on why they kept him out of the WS. It has a lot to do with his velocity dropping and his K rate. He wasn't missing as many bats. I just hope they weren't protecting his value because they know something other's don't.

So a first year pitcher ran outta gas down the stretch? That's not really note worthy. If they are that high on Profar, then I would run with it. He's 20 and has a bright future probably. Cards have a huge log jam in their rotation like we have with MIF.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it happened I would be ok with it. I've said many times that I'm not as big on Profar as some, but we need everyday bats. If what JD is saying is true, and they aren't going to spend much, that leaves us with a lot of holes in the line-up still. I'd rather trade him for a big bat. If you can get a pitcher and bat, then I guess.

always a possibility, but I can't find anything about injuries...if that means anything

Anyway, as someone said, ideally he was just gassed, and Wacha was not.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a first year pitcher ran outta gas down the stretch? That's not really note worthy. If they are that high on Profar, then I would run with it. He's 20 and has a bright future probably. Cards have a huge log jam in their rotation like we have with MIF.

I think he was gassed too, and Wacha wasn't.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You would have to hope that's all it is. I would rather have an everyday contributor, but a rotation of Yu, Harrison, Perez, Holland, and Miller sounds nice too. Holliday has a big contract, but he's been worth every penny of it. I would think it would be Adams though.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Miller may be a 5th starter today, but he pitched great for the Cards - won 15 and had about 3 ERA- and he's only 23. He may be a # 3/2 in the making.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He said that payroll was going to be about the same as last year, that leaves a lot of wiggle b/c we had quite a few expiring contracts (Cruz, Nathan, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.