• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jeter was a Ranger his entire career like MY almost was he would be an above average player but not to the level he is because of playing in NY on very good teams in a big market. And we would still have no championship rings. And if MY is on those same NY teams the Yankees still win plenty of World Series. That being said I like the guy because I think he has always carried himself well and I cannot say that about very many Yankees. Now that is just me.

I'm not so sure. It's an argument that will never be settled as it's subjective of course. If Jeter played here, I think he's still be an awesome player. Obviously when you're winning titles virtually every year you'll be on a higher pedestal and rightfully so. Pudge was here for a decade and was considered the best catcher in baseball during his prime years for the most part. At the end of the day the Yankees are the Yankees but the reason why Jeter may be on that higher pedestal is because of his individual and team accomplishments.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the winning of titles as a basis of a great player, Luis Sojo has 4 rings, therefore he must be an awesome player....

While those arguments are overly used today's days but in this case we know Jeter is the best player on his team that is dominant for more than a decade. I think that's a good measuring stick in judging how great of a player he is IMO.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if this has been discussed all day, because I wasn't available. But my friends from Cardinal Land are telling me it's a done deal with us sending Profar there, and we get Shelby Miller and David Freese.

Miller is 23, great arm, from Texas, and is already battle proven in MLB. Freese is a 30 year old, 3rd baseman coming off a terrible year. Surely, surely this is poppycock.

Have y'all discussed and dismissed this?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if this has been discussed all day, because I wasn't available. But my friends from Cardinal Land are telling me it's a done deal with us sending Profar there, and we get Shelby Miller and David Freese.

Miller is 23, great arm, from Texas, and is already battle proven in MLB. Freese is a 30 year old, 3rd baseman coming off a terrible year. Surely, surely this is poppycock.

Poppycock is right I imagine. Not on local sports. Not been on here either

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a hard time believing that. Unless they're in talks of trading one of our existing pitchers. And I don't ever want Freese wearing a Rangers uniform. Ever ever ever.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haven't heard anything about him.

Jones played with Texas back in the 70's (couple of years) and then again in the 80's (couple of years). He also coached for OKC and won like 600 games, literally.

Smart guy, good guy, and part of the family, so-to-speak.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing that. Unless they're in talks of trading one of our existing pitchers. And I don't ever want Freese wearing a Rangers uniform. Ever ever ever.

I got 3 emails today from guys in St Louis swearing it's a done deal. I'm thinking, really? No way we'd do this. Again, Miller is a stud and could be really something special. But we're giving up a SS who could become the next Ozzie. And Freese; why?

Thanks. This sounded like nonsense to me, but they had me believing the hype.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got 3 emails today from guys in St Louis swearing it's a done deal. I'm thinking, really? No way we'd do this. Again, Miller is a stud and could be really something special. But we're giving up a SS who could become the next Ozzie. And Freese; why?

Thanks. This sounded like nonsense to me, but they had me believing the hype.

I've not heard or seen anything especially in a place like Twitter yet. That scenario may have been presented by one of the writers or bloggers out there but it wouldn't make sense to me. If Profar went to STL I'm pretty sure Taveras would be coming back.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not heard or seen anything especially in a place like Twitter yet. That scenario may have been presented by one of the writers or bloggers out there but it wouldn't make sense to me. If Profar went to STL I'm pretty sure Taveras would be coming back.

Maybe, but Miller got my attention for sure. He could be really terrific for a long time. He's 23.

But they may have baited me a little, set me up rather nicely perhaps. Oh well, I've had worse and recently.

The Cards may be good trading partners for sure. We're both fairly stout in the minors, and have a few holes in the bigs. And they really do need a SS in the worst kind of way.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but Miller got my attention for sure. He could be really terrific for a long time. He's 23.

But they may have baited me a little, set me up rather nicely perhaps. Oh well, I've had worse and recently.

The Cards may be good trading partners for sure. We're both fairly stout in the minors, and have a few holes in the bigs. And they really do need a SS in the worst kind of way.
Swap out Freese for Adams and you might have a deal.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm still wondering why Miller wasn't used during he WS.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duh, there was a conspiracy. Didn't you get the memo. /sarcasm

I like Miller, not a huge fan of Adams. He is only 25 though. I guess it would upgrade 2 positions. I still think Mitch can hit .270 plus 25HR's though. Maybe I'm crazy.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros had an arrangement in place to draft Shelby Miller with the 21st overall pick of the 2009 draft, Miller tells Rosenthal, except the Cardinals took Miller with the 19th pick. Miller, a Texas native, was also managed by a Rangers scout during a high school showcase event but the Rangers passed on Miller with their 14th overall pick in the draft and instead took righty Matt Purke, who never signed with the club.

Ouch

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would absolutely love to have one of the cardinal's younger pitchers. Whether it be miller, rosenthal, siegrast, WACHA!!! but i dont see it happening

From what I hear, we talked to the cardinal's back in early may about taveras. But I haven't heard about us talking about anyone else with the cardinals since then. Perhaps we have, but I haven't heard about it. Usually he'll tell me when we are, but nothing came up today

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros had an arrangement in place to draft Shelby Miller with the 21st overall pick of the 2009 draft, Miller tells Rosenthal, except the Cardinals took Miller with the 19th pick. Miller, a Texas native, was also managed by a Rangers scout during a high school showcase event but the Rangers passed on Miller with their 14th overall pick in the draft and instead took righty Matt Purke, who never signed with the club.

Ouch

Purke was a Tom Hicks screw up. He tried to give Purke 6 million, and the MLB said no. He wouldn't agree to take 4 million, because as a kid he probably figured that if they would offer him 6 million, then he could get more the next year. Then he got hurt and and ended up only making a little over 4 million the next year. Suffice it to say that the Rangers and Purke were both stupid in that situation. They tried to pay him too much initially when they didn't have the money, and he wouldn't take less after that offer was on the table.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still wondering why Miller wasn't used during he WS.

Shelby Miller confused on why he wasn't used during the World Series - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

So was Miller, if you believe this quote

“There could be something that I don’t know about going on. Maybe I’ll have some understand in the offseason. I think it’s more they’re just looking out for me, innings-wise. I don’t feel fatigued. I don’t feel tired. I feel really good. There is probably some answer that I don’t know about. I’ll wait to hear it.” Shelby Miller told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelby Miller confused on why he wasn't used during the World Series - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

So was Miller, if you believe this quote

“There could be something that I don’t know about going on. Maybe I’ll have some understand in the offseason. I think it’s more they’re just looking out for me, innings-wise. I don’t feel fatigued. I don’t feel tired. I feel really good. There is probably some answer that I don’t know about. I’ll wait to hear it.” Shelby Miller told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

After sleeping on it...If the Cards offered Adams and Miller for Profar I would take it. They have Craig at first base a huge log jam in the rotation. Texas has a logjam of MIFs in their organization. It's not the Taveras deal that people talked about, but wow that would be a good trade.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After sleeping on it...If the Cards offered Adams and Miller for Profar I would take it. They have Craig at first base a huge log jam in the rotation. Texas has a logjam of MIFs in their organization. It's not the Taveras deal that people talked about, but wow that would be a good trade.

I agree it would have to be Adams, not Freeze.
And IMO, hell yes you take that trade.

only small concerns (not really to me) could be used, maybe in our favor.

at some point (not this year) Miller was suspended for missing the team bus, and suspended another time for an "alcohol related incident" (allegedly) but I'm still unclear about the reason for that suspension, there were other rumors he was suspended (this is all minor league) for a tweet?
I didn't do a lot of digging, maybe someone else can....none of it seemed like a huge deal

My only point is does this have anything to do with the Cards shopping him and keeping Wacha, which was a rumor in the Spring...I tend to doubt it. I never read anything to do with inning counts, I only know of some bicep trouble, I think in the minors.

Anyway, if it's Adams and Miller...once again
hell yes

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While those arguments are overly used today's days but in this case we know Jeter is the best player on his team that is dominant for more than a decade. I think that's a good measuring stick in judging how great of a player he is IMO.

I would argue that Jeter was not the best player on any of those teams (maybe 1 year he was), but simply the most consistently present, and thats b/c they Yankees run of World Series began in Jeter's rookie year

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jeter is not a good-great player, but he's not as good as people make him out to be

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.