• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it will take that much to sign McCann? I think about 4/60 or 5/65 range will be what will get him signed.

It won't hurt seriously considering signing him. He's allegedly 28 so if he's willing to take a 2 or 3 year deal with a decent salary then it probably can't be worse than AJ.

I'm assuming you're talking about McCann. Yes, I think it will take at least 75. The Yankees are involved, along with others. I don't think there's any way he only gets 13 million a year, nor do I think he's signing a 2-3 year deal.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit 276 with 82 homers in nine years in cuba. And threw out 50 percent of base runners that try run on him.
While that is impressive, we have to keep in mind that the numbers will not necessarily translate. Their league, while competitive, is probably in the range of high A or AA at best.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you're talking about McCann. Yes, I think it will take at least 75. The Yankees are involved, along with others. I don't think there's any way he only gets 13 million a year.

Yankees signed Jeter for 12 million. Guess he's not retiring like he should.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nolan might run for Texas Agriculture Commissioner in 2014. I hope that keeps him away from the Astros.
Nolan has already said he won't work for another team like that ever again. He might be a short term consultant, but no day to day stuff anymore. The only people saying he's going to Houston were super delusional Astro's fans and Randy Galloway clones.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees signed Jeter for 12 million. Guess he's not retiring like he should.

I'm ok with it. Just by sentimental purposes and benefit of the doubt they should sign him and he deserves it. Plus I think he wants to give one last go around to a full season and go out that way. The last 2 years have gone bad for him.

I'm not a Yankees fan but I really can't find anything in me to hate or dislike Jeter.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with it. Just by sentimental purposes and benefit of the doubt they should sign him and he deserves it. Plus I think he wants to give one last go around to a full season and go out that way. The last 2 years have gone bad for him.

I'm not a Yankees fan but I really can't find anything in me to hate or dislike Jeter.

Oh brother...He doesn't deserve that contract in any way shape or form. If you cannot find reasons to dislike Jeter, then you just are not trying that hard.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh brother...He doesn't deserve that contract in any way shape or form. If you cannot find reasons to dislike Jeter, then you just are not trying that hard.

Look I get it...he's a Yankee...part of the Evil Empire etc. But I've never seen him as a douche. From what I have seen and have heard from friends living in NY and Yanks fans is that he's the anti A-Rod who is quite humble.

And yes if you go by the stats, he probably doesn't deserve that contract but I think there are times when you throw that out the door and this is one of them IMO.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I get it...he's a Yankee...part of the Evil Empire etc. But I've never seen him as a douche. From what I have seen and have heard from friends living in NY and Yanks fans is that he's the anti A-Rod who is quite humble.

And yes if you go by the stats, he probably doesn't deserve that contract but I think there are times when you throw that out the door and this is one of them IMO.

No you don't throw that out the door and give anyone 12 million dollars. That's absolutely absurd. The Yankees are at 101 MM with these players.
ARod
Vernon Wells
Teixeira
Sabathia
Soriano
Jeter
Ichiro

This would be like the Rangers offering Young 10 million to come back and play one more season. Makes zero financial or baseball sense for a team that was supposedly looking to dip below the luxury tax line and be taken off the repeat offender list.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you don't throw that out the door and give anyone 12 million dollars. That's absolutely absurd. The Yankees are at 101 MM with these players.
ARod
Vernon Wells
Teixeira
Sabathia
Soriano
Jeter
Ichiro

This would be like the Rangers offering Young 10 million to come back and play one more season. Makes zero financial or baseball sense for a team that was supposedly looking to dip below the luxury tax line and be taken off the repeat offender list.

I love MY but that's a ridiculous comparison.

It's not absurd if they're willing to do it. If they don't care about the luxury tax then so be it. If you're a Yankee fan you have to love that because you know your FO will do whatever it takes to try to put a winning product on the field and not worry about the finances.

And yes I don't think 12 million is that absurd in giving the face of your franchise and quite possibly the uber face of the franchise in its history. The last couple of years haven't gone his way but that's ok. I just don't see it as being absurd as some one else out there.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love MY but that's a ridiculous comparison.

It's not absurd if they're willing to do it. If they don't care about the luxury tax then so be it. If you're a Yankee fan you have to love that because you know your FO will do whatever it takes to try to put a winning product on the field and not worry about the finances.

And yes I don't think 12 million is that absurd in giving the face of your franchise and quite possibly the uber face of the franchise in its history. The last couple of years haven't gone his way but that's ok. I just don't see it as being absurd as some one else out there.

The face of their franchise is now Robinson Cano. And that's totally ridiculous for you to call Jeter the uber face of their franchise in their history....Seriously?!?! Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, and Joe DiMaggio are the uber face of the Yankees. Putting Jeter in their category is just clown shoes. That's what I cannot stand about people that build up Jeter. He once was a very good to great player, but he was never a generational super talent that those three were. That's a slap in the face to their legacies.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The face of their franchise is now Robinson Cano. And that's totally ridiculous for you to call Jeter the uber face of their franchise in their history....Seriously?!?! Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, and Joe DiMaggio are the uber face of the Yankees. Putting Jeter in their category is just clown shoes. That's what I cannot stand about people that build up Jeter. He once was a very good to great player, but he was never a generational super talent that those three were. That's a slap in the face to their legacies.

There won't be any Yankee fan or person in NY that will say Cano is the face of the franchise. The fact that you're completely dismissing Jeter's value and worth to the organization like a Joe D, Mantle etc is beyond me. It's a slap in Jeter's face as well. You simply cannot deny what Jeter means to the organization and city. Obviously it's always tricky and risky comparing players from different generations but make no mistake Jeter is up there whether you like it or not.

It seems to me you have something extra or more against Jeter. That's fine, a lot of non Yankee fans do about the organization but you're certain in the small small small minority that thinks what you do on him.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There won't be any Yankee fan or person in NY that will say Cano is the face of the franchise. The fact that you're completely dismissing Jeter's value and worth to the organization like a Joe D, Mantle etc is beyond me. It's a slap in Jeter's face as well. You simply cannot deny what Jeter means to the organization and city. Obviously it's always tricky and risky comparing players from different generations but make no mistake Jeter is up there whether you like it or not.

It seems to me you have something extra or more against Jeter. That's fine, a lot of non Yankee fans do about the organization but you're certain in the small small small minority that thinks what you do on him.

Jeter was the best player on their team for a decade, but he's not anything close to the other three I mentioned. There is nothing to back that up. Jeter is not up there with them, and I didn't even mention Babe Ruth. You have nothing to base that on, but that his team won WS. So good job Yankees for spending more money than everyone else for two decades.

And no I am not in a small minority. The Jeter is Jesus crowd is a just a loud and annoying minority. I blame ESPN for their player worship. Jeter is widely seen as a once great player, but now his best his behind him. Players sometimes have those dead cat bounce years and teams and media freak out over them instead of being objective. You can be a hall of fame player and peter out and eventually retire. It happens, but he's not one of the 50 best players to ever play the game. He's def one of the most fortunate though.

I have a problem when people tell me Jeter is something he isn't. I don't give a shit what delusional Yankee fans say he means to their team and city. We had dumb-asses here believe that the Rangers would fold, because Nolan stepped down. Homers are homers and say homer shit.

Paying Jeter this much money is stupid, and defending it is even more stupid. I would be livid as a fan of that team, because they have gone into lunacy mode since George died.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter was the best player on their team for a decade, but he's not anything close to the other three I mentioned. There is nothing to back that up. Jeter is not up there with them, and I didn't even mention Babe Ruth. You have nothing to base that on, but that his team won WS. So good job Yankees for spending more money than everyone else for two decades.

And no I am not in a small minority. The Jeter is Jesus crowd is a just a loud and annoying minority. I blame ESPN for their player worship. Jeter is widely seen as a once great player, but now his best his behind him. Players sometimes have those dead cat bounce years and teams and media freak out over them instead of being objective. You can be a hall of fame player and peter out and eventually retire. It happens, but he's not one of the 50 best players to ever play the game. He's def one of the most fortunate though.

I have a problem when people tell me Jeter is something he isn't. I don't give a shit what delusional Yankee fans say he means to their team and city. We had dumb-asses here believe that the Rangers would fold, because Nolan stepped down. Homers are homers and say homer shit.

Paying Jeter this much money is stupid, and defending it is even more stupid. I would be livid as a fan of that team, because they have gone into lunacy mode since George died.

The best player on his team for close to a decade in a half that won 5 WS's and went to 7 or so. I'm sorry but that's not being a homer. It's one thing not to like the blow hard media praising certain things overboard but completely dismissing Jeter's value to the organization like the players mentioned before is beyond me. Of course comparing generations is a tough and will never be figured out and justified there could very well be multiple things in play here as to why you think the way you do. One is you hate the overboard media coverage of him and the Yankees. Another thing could be good ol days syndrome. No one is devaluing what Mantle, Ruth, Gehrig etc has done for the Yankees but Jeter has place right there in that level in my opinion.

And seriously man there is nothing to "back up" here. It's frankly just more of an opinion and ours happen to differ here.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best player on his team for close to a decade in a half that won 5 WS's and went to 7 or so. I'm sorry but that's not being a homer. It's one thing not to like the blow hard media praising certain things overboard but completely dismissing Jeter's value to the organization like the players mentioned before is beyond me. Of course comparing generations is a tough and will never be figured out and justified there could very well be multiple things in play here as to why you think the way you do. One is you hate the overboard media coverage of him and the Yankees. Another thing could be good ol days syndrome. No one is devaluing what Mantle, Ruth, Gehrig etc has done for the Yankees but Jeter has place right there in that level in my opinion.

And seriously man there is nothing to "back up" here. It's frankly just more of an opinion and ours happen to differ here.

You are completely and utterly putting words in my mouth. I never dismissed his value. I said he was the best player on their team for a decade. New York is a city that doesn't need sports to be great. To act like he was the backbone of their community is ridiculous. He's a promiscuous athlete that makes millions of dollars. What a real role model for kids!

And yes, you should have facts to back up opinions. Otherwise they are contrived and baseless.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are completely and utterly putting words in my mouth. I never dismissed his value. I said he was the best player on their team for a decade. New York is a city that doesn't need sports to be great. To act like he was the backbone of their community is ridiculous. He's a promiscuous athlete that makes millions of dollars. What a real role model for kids!

And yes, you should have facts to back up opinions. Otherwise they are contrived and baseless.

What facts are you speaking of? Our opinions differ...I don't understand why you can't handle that my opinion differs from you.

And you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was the "backbone of their community". But he is the face of the Yankees who have the highest profile there. Jeter means a lot to those fans and that city. Eh I'm not worried about being a role model for the kids. I wasn't even eluding to that when talking about him. It's no different than what Roger meant and do a degree still means to the Cowboys the city of Dallas especially for those that witnessed it during his playing days.

Look I get it, you're not a huge fan of Jeter...that's fine. I don't love the guy but I recognize his utter greatness which in my opinion I think it is in high high regard.

There's nothing more to it. We have different opinions.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will chime in with one thing. I do not, and didn't when he was in his prime, put Jeter in the same class as Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, and DiMaggio. I think that's ridiculous.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What facts are you speaking of? Our opinions differ...I don't understand why you can't handle that my opinion differs from you.

And you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was the "backbone of their community". But he is the face of the Yankees who have the highest profile there. Jeter means a lot to those fans and that city. Eh I'm not worried about being a role model for the kids. I wasn't even eluding to that when talking about him. It's no different than what Roger meant and do a degree still means to the Cowboys the city of Dallas especially for those that witnessed it during his playing days.

Look I get it, you're not a huge fan of Jeter...that's fine. I don't love the guy but I recognize his utter greatness which in my opinion I think it is in high high regard.

There's nothing more to it. We have different opinions.

Then why the hell did you mention what he means to the city? He adds nothing tangible to their life as a sports star.

I have a problem with your opinion, because it's incorrect to put Jeter anywhere close to Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, and Ruth.

Had you said Albert Pujols was at the level of those guys, then I would have zero issue with your statement. I don't know how you can make that opinion without using hard evidence to back it. I can look at everything (numbers, awards, championships) in context and say that Pujols belongs in that conversation when he retires and that Jeter does not.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will chime in with one thing. I do not, and didn't when he was in his prime, put Jeter in the same class as Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, and DiMaggio. I think that's ridiculous.

And that is totally fine and acceptable. I don't fully agree but hey it's all good.

We're all black friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.