• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a weird off season for us because it's a rather weak free agent market. Yes we can get/sign guys that come out to be golden for us like Boston did this past season but I think the only substantial move I see in terms of getting a badass in here is if we trade Profar or even Ian for someone.
That idea has been tossed around for a while now. I do agree with you. We really need to consider it too if we want to make a serious run this next year. To many needs for JD to sit back and wait like 2013.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berkman is nothing but a very bad dream. He is gone like a cool breeze.

Lance is a perfect example of trying to milk "one more season" outta a guy who was done. Played 15 years and left with a .293 avg; damn good. But JD screwed the pooch on this one. Bad move and left us needy.

Are you as down on the glove of Cruz as some are? I'm not. He's not going to be Gentry, Martin, or win a GG, understood. But he's average, and has a good arm.

We're in need of a LF, and Cruz - by FAR the best RBI guy available - isn't going to agree to a contract for DHing only. I don't think anyway. Put his bat in LF for next season and see what happens.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a weird off season for us because it's a rather weak free agent market. Yes we can get/sign guys that come out to be golden for us like Boston did this past season but I think the only substantial move I see in terms of getting a badass in here is if we trade Profar or even Ian for someone.

I don't think the free agent market is that weak. It just really depends on what you want to spend your money on. I mean, when was the last time a CATCHER of mccann's caliber was on the FA market? Cano is there, and he's one of those guys where you think no matter where he goes he won't have a down year. We were hesitant with both Pujols AND hamilton for this same reason. Cano is a healthy workhorse who is extremely consistent in all facets of the game. (not that we are even looking at cano, just pointing it out)

Then there are players like ellsbury in the outfield. If Ellsbury stays healthy he is a gamechanger. I would like to get our 3 hole sorted out though...

But what is most important for us this offseason is the trade market. Lose profar and some other guys. In order to win, you have to make sacrifices. Hopefully JD learned from last year and understands this

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance is a perfect example of trying to milk "one more season" outta a guy who was done. Played 15 years and left with a .293 avg; damn good. But JD screwed the pooch on this one. Bad move and left us needy.

Are you as down on the glove of Cruz as some are? I'm not. He's not going to be Gentry, Martin, or win a GG, understood. But he's average, and has a good arm.

We're in need of a LF, and Cruz - by FAR the best RBI guy available - isn't going to agree to a contract for DHing only. I don't think anyway. Put his bat in LF for next season and see what happens.

Something is wrong when a team virtually begs you to come out of retirement essentially to play one more season at 12 million big ones.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the free agent market is that weak. It just really depends on what you want to spend your money on. I mean, when was the last time a CATCHER of mccann's caliber was on the FA market? Cano is there, and he's one of those guys where you think no matter where he goes he won't have a down year. We were hesitant with both Pujols AND hamilton for this same reason. Cano is a healthy workhorse who is extremely consistent in all facets of the game. (not that we are even looking at cano, just pointing it out)

Then there are players like ellsbury in the outfield. If Ellsbury stays healthy he is a gamechanger. I would like to get our 3 hole sorted out though...

But what is most important for us this offseason is the trade market. Lose profar and some other guys. In order to win, you have to make sacrifices. Hopefully JD learned from last year and understands this

I'm leaving Cano out of this assuming he'll sign with NYY or someone will be dumb enough to give him 250 million or so. I like Ellsbury but I'm not so sure we need him and plus he's always hurt.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance was OUR fault. That was a signing where we had lost everyone else and needed one guy to where we could call the offseason somewhat of a success.

I really like Ellsbury though. I'll get a lot of flak here because of it, but I think he's a sparkplug. He just can't stay healthy. When he does he is a better choice at leadoff than anybody we have for sure. He's fantastic in the outfield. But it is true that we probably don't even need him. An outfield of Rios Leonys and perhaps Cruz is pretty good.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaving Cano out of this assuming he'll sign with NYY or someone will be dumb enough to give him 250 million or so. I like Ellsbury but I'm not so sure we need him and plus he's always hurt.

I love Ellsbury's game. But here's his games played over the past 4 years: 18-158-74-134. He's now 30 years old, so it's down hill from here. When he's healthy and playing, a real game changer and everyone wants him. But he's averaged playing 74 games a season in the last 4 years. If that isn't alarming to future suitors I don't know what it takes.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance was OUR fault. That was a signing where we had lost everyone else and needed one guy to where we could call the offseason somewhat of a success.

I really like Ellsbury though. I'll get a lot of flak here because of it, but I think he's a sparkplug. He just can't stay healthy. When he does he is a better choice at leadoff than anybody we have for sure. He's fantastic in the outfield. But it is true that we probably don't even need him. An outfield of Rios Leonys and perhaps Cruz is pretty good.

Other than him being made of balsa wood, I think he's a great player.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The whole Lance signing screwed us more than Cruz getting suspended, IMO. Had we had the Lance of 3 years ago, terrific. But you'd have to be a fool to think Berkman could stay afloat for 130 games, doing anything, playing any position, period. Had we had a good and sturdy DH, then when Nelson went away, we could have gone defensive with Gentry in the OF, and pitched the hell outta the ball. But instead, we got lost and this ALL falls on JD.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's one option but rather he stay in right. I do think he will not stay only to DH.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than him being made of balsa wood, I think he's a great player.

Hey, the man leaves the game after 15 years, and a WS title to show for it. LT .293 hitter.

I tip my hat to him.

Not so much too JD for bringing in a fossil to fill a vital role. Not down on JD, BUT he sure as hell better show us some metal between now and Mar.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep hearing Ellsbury and Cano's name. Do we really need them? Maybe if we trade Kinsler but otherwise? Our outfield is rather solid and Ellsbury not likely to add much except with the bat. Maybe I'm missing something.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep hearing Ellsbury and Cano's name. Do we really need them? Maybe if we trade Kinsler but otherwise? Our outfield is rather solid and Ellsbury not likely to add much except with the bat. Maybe I'm missing something.

Can you imagine if we signed Cano, traded Profar for a COF, and let Kinsler DH?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, the man leaves the game after 15 years, and a WS title to show for it. LT .293 hitter.

I tip my hat to him.

Not so much too JD for bringing in a fossil to fill a vital role. Not down on JD, BUT he sure as hell better show us some metal between now and Mar.

I was talking about Jacoby. Fuck that tub of goo known as Lance Berkman. I will see him in hell and kick him in the knee.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine if we signed Cano, traded Profar for a COF, and let Kinsler DH?
Trade Profar for who? Then that leaves Cruz a question at DH if Kins dh'd. Yeah I would have to imagine that.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I suffered through a World Series hoping both teams would lose... ( it was cool seeing Napoli get a ring I must admit, but not Koji) and I've been having radical thoughts:

We have two shortstops, the Cards obviously need one....they have two first basemen, we need one...there's also that prospect Tavares out there..... I think there's a deal to be made here...we trade Andrus (and prospects) for Adams and better quality prospects (Andrus is established, Adams not so much...). I know, but I'm thinking out of the box here.

McCann would be great...for about a year or two...then we will regret the burden of his huge salary. Do we make a run for Salty?? Although not impressed with his defense at all. Inclined to keep AJ one more year...yeh, I know, slap me into reality...

Cruz - 2 year deal, primarily DH. He doesn't like it, don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Cano? No way, too expensive
Ellsbury? Can he play left field? is that a waste of his talents? Will he only play 50 games per year? Possibly...I would reluctantly pass on him and his big contract.

Price? Wow, would I love to have him on the Rangers! but he will destroy our farm system.

Let's do a big deal with the Cards, sign Cruz to a reasonable deal, let Garza walk, and look for reasonably priced mid level SP - Vargas? Kuroda?

I'm rambling....

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Profar for who? Then that leaves Cruz a question at DH if Kins dh'd. Yeah I would have to imagine that.

We wouldn't sign Cruz to DH in that scenario. It's not going to happen. I just think it could work. I'm not sure besides Gomez, Stanton, and Taveras who we would look to move him for.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We wouldn't sign Cruz to DH in that scenario. It's not going to happen. I just think it could work. I'm not sure besides Gomez, Stanton, and Taveras who we would look to move him for.

Wait you mean the Brewers Cargo or the Rockies Cargo?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait you mean the Brewers Cargo or the Rockies Cargo?

Can I have both? I was talking about Gomez, the Brewers CF. I wanted the Rockies RF a year ago when everyone was worried about his home/away splits. I don't think we could pry him away now after the year he just had.

Status
Not open for further replies.