• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to agree the Rangers need RBI guys in the worst way. But you don't seem to have anything more than a minimal interest in the guy who is by far the best RBI hitter available. He's been with us for what, 7 years?? and has produced well the last 3/4. Really don't get the lack of interest.
May not be lack of interest but what it will take to get him. I want him back for a couple but not at just any price.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May not be lack of interest but what it will take to get him. I want him back for a couple but not at just any price.

I agree with ya on not breaking the bank, or getting shackled with a long term deal. But I suspect he'd rather be here than moving on. So give him $14/15 mil a year for 2 years and perhaps a decent option for year 3. He's only 33, so his bat should be productive at least 2/3 more seasons.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ya on not breaking the bank, or getting shackled with a long term deal. But I suspect he'd rather be here than moving on. So give him $14/15 mil a year for 2 years and perhaps a decent option for year 3. He's only 33, so his bat should be productive at least 2/3 more seasons.

And I really think he is still in his best years.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to agree the Rangers need RBI guys in the worst way. But you don't seem to have anything more than a minimal interest in the guy who is by far the best RBI hitter available. He's been with us for what, 7 years?? and has produced well the last 3/4. Really don't get the lack of interest.

I think a DH can be had for cheaper. His value is mainly derived from his bat, so anything over 10MM AAV is pretty meh unless he can put up 2.5 wins with his bat alone. Most I would pay him is 2/20.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Joe Nathan, but he is pricing himself out of the Ranger's plans with his want of a multiyear deal. I will miss that dude.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Joe Nathan, but he is pricing himself out of the Ranger's plans with his want of a multiyear deal. I will miss that dude.

He'll get it from someone and I wish him well. But the Rangers seem ready to move on without him and won't offer anything more than one year, and maybe won't do that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will miss him as well. The guy has been spot on for the most part. I definitely do not take what he did for us lightly. Too bad we did not have that Joe Nathan in 2011.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will miss him as well. The guy has been spot on for the most part. I definitely do not take what he did for us lightly. Too bad we did not have that Joe Nathan in 2011.
I am just sad we wasted his 2012 and 2013 seasons. At stretches this season he looked the most dominant he's ever been. That's saying a lot for a dude his age with a TJS under his belt. Whoever signs him will be just as happy as the Red Sox picking up Koji.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just sad we wasted his 2012 and 2013 seasons. At stretches this season he looked the most dominant he's ever been. That's saying a lot for a dude his age with a TJS under his belt. Whoever signs him will be just as happy as the Red Sox picking up Koji.
Please not the Angels. Would be waste of a great closer.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe I'm the only one, but I swear I detected some substantial chinks in Joe this season. IMO, now is a perfect time to let Nathan get a 2/3 year deal from someone else.

The Rangers have loads of options for his position too; Scheppers, Feliz, Soria. But again, maybe it's just me.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm the only one, but I swear I detected some substantial chinks in Joe this season. IMO, now is a perfect time to let Nathan get a 2/3 year deal from someone else.

The Rangers have loads of options for his position too; Scheppers, Feliz, Soria. But again, maybe it's just me.
His walk rate was higher this year, but he was ridiculous other wise. Texas cannot afford him, but they will miss having someone as automatic as him to go to when it counts the most. Nothing will top that save in the pouring rain vs the Angels. That was so badass and intense all at the same time.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please not the Angels. Would be waste of a great closer.

I have really liked Nathan, and have the utmost respect for him. Absolutely great career, and if he goes on to close and do well for someone else, so be it. But I don't want the Rangers to give him 2 years, and then be eating salary before the end of next season, or scrambling around trying to replace him if things go south, which IMO is a real possibility.

Nathan was a huge plus for us when we got him; tough guy, good teammate, and there's no reason for any Ranger fan to have anything other than admiration for what he helped us accomplish.

IMO, he'll get the same fan reaction as Nap did upon his return. Deservedly so too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His walk rate was higher this year, but he was ridiculous other wise. Texas cannot afford him, but they will miss having someone as automatic as him to go to when it counts the most. Nothing will top that save in the pouring rain vs the Angels. That was so badass and intense all at the same time.

I hear ya.

But I remember the game where only a fantastic OF relay saved him from being the goat. Then there was the game where he came in with a 2 run lead, and got the close with the bases loaded, and had given up a run. In St Louis he gave up a run, and Freeze hit a rocket which Beltre made a nice grab. There were others this season too.

I just don't want to hang onto him until he forces a change; meaning failure. That would be a shame for him and us. Let him get his 2 year deal, and let's regroup, while we have some good options.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a DH can be had for cheaper. His value is mainly derived from his bat, so anything over 10MM AAV is pretty meh unless he can put up 2.5 wins with his bat alone. Most I would pay him is 2/20.

bet we could get Berkman back for cheaper. other than Morales there aren't DH-types out there and i think Seattle used the QO on him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bet we could get Berkman back for cheaper. other than Morales there aren't DH-types out there and i think Seattle used the QO on him.

You're kidding about Berkman right? No MLB team would give Lance a ham sandwich to come to spring training. And ya know what, Berk is a smart guy. He was pretty much set on retirement when the Rangers plucked him off the heap.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the whole thing. I wouldn't give much more than a one year deal to most DH types this off season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kidding about Berkman right? No MLB team would give Lance a ham sandwich to come to spring training. And ya know what, Berk is a smart guy. He was pretty much set on retirement when the Rangers plucked him off the heap.
Berkman is nothing but a very bad dream. He is gone like a cool breeze.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a weird off season for us because it's a rather weak free agent market. Yes we can get/sign guys that come out to be golden for us like Boston did this past season but I think the only substantial move I see in terms of getting a badass in here is if we trade Profar or even Ian for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.