• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it, and Adam I think?... did post the entire quote, but even then, the writer could have left other things out.

I don't believe Maddux intended to imply he was leaving because Nolan was.
or I should say it this way, I don't think he meant to imply anything negative about JD

I mean, seriously they both are famous pitchers...It's easy to imagine there's probably a great deal of mutual respect, they like each other...whatever
and he's a little sad that Nolan is moving on. Maybe that simple

or if you are looking for something...
That means he doesn't like JD and now he's leaving? No, I don't understand how someone could read so much into that.

okay, that's enough....now I am getting mad
:D
I just think the whole thing reeks of false syllogism. Maddux can both love Nolan Ryan and JD. He can also want the challenge of managing and stay. He can also leave for said challenge, and still love Nolan Ryan and JD. I guess people like neat little boxes where everything is mutually exclusive and there is zero room for ambiguity. Silly compartmental humans...

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a way with words that is both self deprecating and hilarious. It's how I cope. And the only reason I am so big on sports is that I am not married and have no kids. I would never want to be the kind of husband or father that holes up in a "man cave" and ignores the family so I can scream at millionaires. I try to get all the bad habits in my life over before the important stuff happens. Right now I can afford to spend all my emotions on sports.

Exactly, once my brother was a little older, he's now married...you mellow. His wife, god love her....(I do), such a sweetheart, does NOT CARE ABOUT SPORTS, and she married into a mildly crazy sports family.

I absolutely credit her with getting him to chill a little, she does without really saying anything, I've seen her give him the "sweetie, I-don't-really-care, sorry-look".
Priceless, it works.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think the whole thing reeks of false syllogism. Maddux can both love Nolan Ryan and JD. He can also want the challenge of managing and stay. He can also leave for said challenge, and still love Nolan Ryan and JD. I guess people like neat little boxes where everything is mutually exclusive and there is zero room for ambiguity. Silly compartmental humans...

I have always thought this kind of pure antagonist/protagonist box is a product of our culture.
It's the Hollywood effect. (this is a generalization)
You're either the guy tying the woman to the tracks in a black suit, or the guy in the white saving her.

It's an extreme example but it has endured in our culture, IMO

Shakespeare, the characters were complex, layered, conflicted....it's closer to the truth

and I will end that with
I never realized how short Pedroia was until he was standing next to umpires? :noidea:

;)

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought this kind of pure antagonist/protagonist box is a product of our culture.
It's the Hollywood effect. (this is a generalization)
You're either the guy tying the woman to the tracks in a black suit, or the guy in the white saving her.

It's an extreme example but it has endured in our culture, IMO

Shakespeare, the characters were complex, layered, conflicted....it's closer to the truth

and I will end that with
I never realized how short Pedroia was until he was standing next to umpires? :noidea:

;)
I call the guy a lawn gnome for a reason. He's a shin kicking son of a gun.

And yes people do generally seem to have a problem with believing in grey areas. We do for whatever reason like to live in the black and white parts of the spectrum. There doesn't have to be a good guy and a bad guy in the FO. It's a business. They are just people doing a job.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shut up Hunter Pence. Choosing to play in San Francisco while they offer you a stupid contract...Hope you lose 90 games next year.

Ha. what is that guy thinking.... taking all that money?
I like Pence. I certainly don't know for sure, but I get the feeling they may be wallowing in the cellar again

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha. what is that guy thinking.... taking all that money?
I like Pence. I certainly don't know for sure, but I get the feeling they may be wallowing in the cellar again
He's doing exactly what I would do and that is taking an obscene amount of money for a kid's game. I wish I was good enough to play professional sports. I would sign with the A's and totally throw games on purpose. Then I would take the money I had and live comfortably forever and be known as the dude who tried to screw the A's.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's doing exactly what I would do and that is taking an obscene amount of money for a kid's game. I wish I was good enough to play professional sports. I would sign with the A's and totally throw games on purpose. Then I would take the money I had and live comfortably forever and be known as the dude who tried to screw the A's.

Post of the year

:clap::clap::clap:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what Ervin Santana will go for in the free agent market. He gives up about 25 homers a year but overall had a very good year this past season. Had a very bad year the year before that but was pitching through an injury instead of rehabbing it. When he is on a roll look out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like a lot of you, I think Moreland is coming back at first, for his last chance. Can't help but believe our organization is leery of letting another first baseman go, and watch him prosper elsewhere. Also, I think McCann won't be coming here. Too much money for too many seasons. So Soto will probably be our # 1. I'd like to see us get Baker back; terrific bat, can fill-in at several positions (none of them very well), but for a few games he gives someone (3rd, 1st, LF) rest.

But I don't know what's up JD's sleeve as far as getting us some RBI help. We'll get Cruz back, I suspect, but this still leaves us a good bat down.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby will get a 1 year deal similar to what he got this season.

Cruz should not see the OF here again unless it's an emergency or a rare fill in for someone. I want him resigned but ONLY with the understanding of him being a primary DH.

hopefully we have learned and don't waste more money on Colby

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd give him a one year offer, with heavy incentives. We still can use him at the end of our rotation, IF he resembles his past. His surgeries seem to have gone well, and he estimates he's good for 2 more seasons. But I wouldn't get saddled with much upfront money, or longer than one year.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving Colby 1-2 million isn't a waste to me. I say that for entirely sentimental reasons though. Colby deserves any and everything good he ever gets.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving Colby 1-2 million isn't a waste to me. I say that for entirely sentimental reasons though. Colby deserves any and everything good he ever gets.

i also feel sentimental about Colby but his arm is gone

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i also feel sentimental about Colby but his arm is gone
Him getting a one year deal won't be a reason that other good things cannot happen. If his hip has healed, then giving him a go is a good idea. Should get him some of those stem cells that the fatty in Oakland used.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him getting a one year deal won't be a reason that other good things cannot happen. If his hip has healed, then giving him a go is a good idea. Should get him some of those stem cells that the fatty in Oakland used.

From what I read, I gathered the hip was the real problem, not his arm. Like I said, a one year, maybe with a team option, for $1.5 mil, lots of incentives so he can get the number he needs.

Colby has been terrific for this organization, and deserves at least a shot. It's not much money if he comes back and pitches pretty well. Doesn't have to be great to be the # 5 here.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

I don't agree with a lot of posters either, but was this necessary? About as necessary as calling me "whiny and bitchy" because I think the talk of Butler for Kinsler ultimately was coming to a dead end, even if I myself enjoyed engaging in it?

Going back and reading a little, others might not of agreed with him, but amazingly they didn't feel the need to resort to this type of post. I also see a little trend for those who dare to disagree with you, oh we all know the type.
I digress
He's a FAN who wanted to talk about his wish list or whatever...so what.

I'm sure your over-bearing, boorish, humorless, self-important, know-it-all, name calling and insults will probably garner you some enduring like-minded self-delusional faux macho bravado...buddies.
tip of the cap to you

(I just wanted to make sure there was enough hyberbole in there for ya, big guy)

and you were right, I shouldn't have said Butler was an atrocious 1st baseman.
absolutely-astonishingly-atrocious....is indeed, a lot more fun.

It must be incredibly painful to take yourself so seriously.

First off, I never called you whiny and bitchy, I said don't complain about the topic without bringing something to the table, if you took whiny and bitchy from that, that's more of an indictment on you than me

And no that post probably wasn't necessary and isn't one of my usual types of posts, despite all your bluster about my "trend of behavior," but hey it was Saturday night and I had a few adult beverages

I choose not to engage in discussions that are not able to be backed up and I defend my point, if that makes me a know it all, then so be it

And there is nothing faux macho bravado about me, I'm totally macho bravado

Also b/c I don't tend to deal in the emotional side of baseball, such as fan favorites and what not, if that makes me boorish and humorless, so be it...

Status
Not open for further replies.