• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Ahle/Triple 7

Autobots, roll out!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you want Nap back to catch? If so, I don't think he can any more b/c of a hip condition unless that has changed.

I though he was doing fine in Boston with that hip. If not then he would be the 1st base upgrade and Soto (or McCann if we get him) starts at catcher. I would be up for that

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok cool. I would take Nap at either of those positions.

Speaking of catchers, any interest in Salty? I guess he is a FA this year
I would also like him back. Some of the talk on here is he has a dislike for Wash and probably would not come back. Others said his beef was with the fo. Not really certain which.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I disagree on a lot of this list by Nathan. I would like to re-sign Nelly, but as the DH. I'm not sure Colby will ever pitch again in the majors. There's no way I would give him a 3 year deal. I think Rios will be fine in RF, and is a good hitter (just not in the 3 hole). The thing about Choo is way off base. He wouldn't have to choose us over the Indians. He is going to command 75+ million, and some think 100. Like others have said, Napoli won't be catching here, or anywhere. I doubt the Red Sox let him get away. I would like him back though. No thanks on Salty.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I disagree on a lot of this list by Nathan. I would like to re-sign Nelly, but as the DH. I'm not sure Colby will ever pitch again in the majors. There's no way I would give him a 3 year deal. I think Rios will be fine in RF, and is a good hitter (just not in the 3 hole). The thing about Choo is way off base. He wouldn't have to choose us over the Indians. He is going to command 75+ million, and some think 100. Like others have said, Napoli won't be catching here, or anywhere. I doubt the Red Sox let him get away. I would like him back though. No thanks on Salty.
You pretty much summed it up.

Nathan Ahle/Triple 7

Autobots, roll out!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I seriously have to disagree with you about Colby. I think he still has a couple years left in the tank. I agree that Cruz would be a good DH, but its not like Cruz is the worst fielder in the history of ever. He made some bonehead mistakes this year, but he also had some spectacular catches. To me, it doesn't matter where he ends up, seeing as the biggest reason for getting Cruz back is his bat. To clarify, the Choo situation was more of a hypothetical- I was listing all of the possible bats that are open. Besides, I would rather get Gomez or Gonzalez than Choo, considering the price tag. I will have to admit that Nap won't be catching (DTLuna brought me up to speed on his hip), but same thing with Choo, just listing the options on the table

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously have to disagree with you about Colby. I think he still has a couple years left in the tank. I agree that Cruz would be a good DH, but its not like Cruz is the worst fielder in the history of ever. He made some bonehead mistakes this year, but he also had some spectacular catches. To me, it doesn't matter where he ends up, seeing as the biggest reason for getting Cruz back is his bat. To clarify, the Choo situation was more of a hypothetical- I was listing all of the possible bats that are open. Besides, I would rather get Gomez or Gonzalez than Choo, considering the price tag. I will have to admit that Nap won't be catching (DTLuna brought me up to speed on his hip), but same thing with Choo, just listing the options on the table

I'm not sure why you believe Colby has more years. He was topping out at around 86 mph. I guess that could change over the off-season, but I haven't heard any promising news. CarGo isn't going anywhere. Gomez maybe, but I doubt it. He's a CF though. I've been wanting to trade for Stanton for 1.5 years, so that's where I'd like JD to focus.. Ethier and Kemp are on the trade market, but are owed a ton.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure why you believe Colby has more years. He was topping out at around 86 mph when trying to come back. I guess that could change over the off-season, but I haven't heard any promising news. CarGo isn't going anywhere. Gomez maybe, but I doubt it. He's a CF though. I've been wanting to trade for Stanton for 1.5 years, so that's where I'd like JD to focus. Ethier and Kemp are on the trade market, but are owed a ton.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby will get a 1 year deal similar to what he got this season.

Cruz should not see the OF here again unless it's an emergency or a rare fill in for someone. I want him resigned but ONLY with the understanding of him being a primary DH.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Completely Salty's fault but I think the call was bullshit.

Yeah. I think Middlebrooks did it on purpose, but you can't end the game on that call. If replay was already part of the game the play would have stayed. I don't care who wins the series, but the red Sox were hosed by the home plate umpire all game. The low strike was called on them all game, but not for their pitchers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am with you on this specially Rios. He was one of best hitters towards the end of the season. He has a consistent stroke and speed.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salty just cost them the game.

I thought Middlebrooks should have caught the throw. It was not that bad. Plus I thought he should have caught Holliday's double. I think Middlebrooks cost them the game. And Craig stinks as a base runner. Hurt ankle or not he should have been headed to 3rd at the crack of the bat with Molina breaking for home.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Middlebrooks should have caught the throw. It was not that bad. Plus I thought he should have caught Holliday's double. I think Middlebrooks cost them the game. And Craig stinks as a base runner. Hurt ankle or not he should have been headed to 3rd at the crack of the bat with Molina breaking for home.

That's true about Craig, but he was going to be safe at 3rd even with a perfect throw. It was a poor throw, and was his 2nd one in the final 2 innings. Horrible throw to 2nd on the stolen base by the rookie.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My offseason plan:
1. Resign Colby Lewis- The Rangers extended Lewis in 2012 in the hopes that he would be healthy for the 2013 season.... that didn't happen. However, Lewis is a veteran pitcher and he will cost considerably less than any on the free agent market. Another 1 year is possible, but a well structured 3 year deal might be able to get worked out. In any case, we need Lewis back.
2. Resign Nelson Cruz- Before his untimely 50 game drug suspension, Cruz was the best hitter in the Rangers lineup in 2013. Like Lewis, Cruz will most likely command less money than most of the big free agents. There are obviously lots of unknowns with bringing back Cruz, including his streaky bat and fielding. A one year arbitration deal would be the most prudent course of action while dealing with Cruz- we keep a strong bat for little charge with the ability to cut losses should things go south.
3. Sign a big OF bat- Sorry, but Alex Rios isn't going to be the answer in RF. The most popular bats in this ordeal are Giancarlo Stanton and Cargo. These two, however, would have to come via the trade lines. Trades of this caliber would most likely have to include Profar and a whole lot more. JD is smart though, and there is no way he would 'trade the farm system' for a single player, much like the Braves did when the Rangers dealt them Mark Teixeira. Other players on the FA market include Shin Soo Choo, who would be a great pickup if we can get him to choose the us over the Indians. Rios would end up being a kind of 'last resort' for the Rangers. It wouldn't be bad, but that means we would need a definite upgrade at 1st base and catcher
4. Say goodbye to David Murphy- Enough said
5. Solve catching dilemma- With Pierzynski likely not getting resigned, Soto would be our starting catcher. Soto did great when he played and came up clutch several time during the season, but i'm not sure how effective he will be on the offensive side of things if he played the entire season. Brian McCann is the biggest FA catcher out there, and I guess Napoli will be back on the market. I'm not ready to jump for McCann, but I would take Nap back in a hearbeat, assuming he wants to come back for some reason.....
6. Do something with DH- I honestly haven't taken a good look at any DH options on the market but there is no denying that we need to make an upgrade there

That's my list. I hope the Rangers have a big offseason this year. It may not be the things I listed, but whatever makes the Rangers better works for me

Most of what you posited confirms you're an idiot

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well geez i keep forgetting that i'm not allowed any leeway by you. please tell me what to think

Claim an opinion or say what you read somewhere, but don't try to claim one and then try to pass it off as opinion when you get called out

Status
Not open for further replies.