• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds great, but there's a slim chance they all stay in the organization.

:agree:.....In fact, I'd be surprised if Profar isn't gone before next season. It may all depend on what the FO decides about 1st base. And then again, if he puts up terrific numbers in the winter league, someone may drop a deal we can't refuse.

I love all the speculation surrounding the off season.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nowhere does it say that he's projected to be better than Profar, the only thing they say is Sardinas has a better glove and speed, which people already knew

let's just wait & see both should be good but only one will probably be with the Rangers in 2 years

Nathan Ahle/Triple 7

Autobots, roll out!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Profar can land a big middle of the order bat in a trade package then I am ok with that. I really want to see Profar stay but the Rangers need help now. One of the Rangers' biggest strengths is the farm system. It doesn't matter is those players end up playing for us or if they become high value trade pieces. Maybe Profar's greatest value to the Rangers will come in trade value. The only way I see him staying is if Kinsler moves over from 2nd to 1st, which most likely won't happen assuming the Rangers finally get an upgrade at 1st base

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Profar can land a big middle of the order bat in a trade package then I am ok with that. I really want to see Profar stay but the Rangers need help now. One of the Rangers' biggest strengths is the farm system. It doesn't matter is those players end up playing for us or if they become high value trade pieces. Maybe Profar's greatest value to the Rangers will come in trade value. The only way I see him staying is if Kinsler moves over from 2nd to 1st, which most likely won't happen assuming the Rangers finally get an upgrade at 1st base

I wouldn't assume the Rangers do anything about 1st base. I think it will depend if we land McCann. If we overpay for him (we'd have to overpay), then I think Mitch gets another year at 1st.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't assume the Rangers do anything about 1st base. I think it will depend if we land McCann. If we overpay for him (we'd have to overpay), then I think Mitch gets another year at 1st.
I really don't seem them doing it either. It's not that upgrading first is not a priority it's just that cOF, DH, and C are higher on the list.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't seem them doing it either. It's not that upgrading first is not a priority it's just that cOF, DH, and C are higher on the list.

:clap: I'm ok with giving Mitch another opportunity. I'm curious who the back-up would be though. I doubt JD wants to let another 1B get away.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Sardinas fan, don't get me wrong, but my issue is with you making things up

what? because i say that i think Sardinas has a bigger upside than Profar. i expressed my opinion on the 2.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forgot him. and some grade Sardinas as possible higher than even Profar

That's not your opinion being expressed, its you trying to say other people have said Sardinas grades higher than Profar

Had you said, YOU think Sardinas would be better than Profar then fine, absurd or not

Nathan Ahle/Triple 7

Autobots, roll out!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My offseason plan:
1. Resign Colby Lewis- The Rangers extended Lewis in 2012 in the hopes that he would be healthy for the 2013 season.... that didn't happen. However, Lewis is a veteran pitcher and he will cost considerably less than any on the free agent market. Another 1 year is possible, but a well structured 3 year deal might be able to get worked out. In any case, we need Lewis back.
2. Resign Nelson Cruz- Before his untimely 50 game drug suspension, Cruz was the best hitter in the Rangers lineup in 2013. Like Lewis, Cruz will most likely command less money than most of the big free agents. There are obviously lots of unknowns with bringing back Cruz, including his streaky bat and fielding. A one year arbitration deal would be the most prudent course of action while dealing with Cruz- we keep a strong bat for little charge with the ability to cut losses should things go south.
3. Sign a big OF bat- Sorry, but Alex Rios isn't going to be the answer in RF. The most popular bats in this ordeal are Giancarlo Stanton and Cargo. These two, however, would have to come via the trade lines. Trades of this caliber would most likely have to include Profar and a whole lot more. JD is smart though, and there is no way he would 'trade the farm system' for a single player, much like the Braves did when the Rangers dealt them Mark Teixeira. Other players on the FA market include Shin Soo Choo, who would be a great pickup if we can get him to choose the us over the Indians. Rios would end up being a kind of 'last resort' for the Rangers. It wouldn't be bad, but that means we would need a definite upgrade at 1st base and catcher
4. Say goodbye to David Murphy- Enough said
5. Solve catching dilemma- With Pierzynski likely not getting resigned, Soto would be our starting catcher. Soto did great when he played and came up clutch several time during the season, but i'm not sure how effective he will be on the offensive side of things if he played the entire season. Brian McCann is the biggest FA catcher out there, and I guess Napoli will be back on the market. I'm not ready to jump for McCann, but I would take Nap back in a hearbeat, assuming he wants to come back for some reason.....
6. Do something with DH- I honestly haven't taken a good look at any DH options on the market but there is no denying that we need to make an upgrade there

That's my list. I hope the Rangers have a big offseason this year. It may not be the things I listed, but whatever makes the Rangers better works for me

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not your opinion being expressed, its you trying to say other people have said Sardinas grades higher than Profar

Had you said, YOU think Sardinas would be better than Profar then fine, absurd or not

well geez i keep forgetting that i'm not allowed any leeway by you. please tell me what to think

Nathan Ahle/Triple 7

Autobots, roll out!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is this Sardinas guy. I haven't been paying attention to too much of the prospect projections. Kinda seems pointless to drop one high rated prospect in Profar to another high rated one in Sardinas

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My offseason plan:
1. Resign Colby Lewis- The Rangers extended Lewis in 2012 in the hopes that he would be healthy for the 2013 season.... that didn't happen. However, Lewis is a veteran pitcher and he will cost considerably less than any on the free agent market. Another 1 year is possible, but a well structured 3 year deal might be able to get worked out. In any case, we need Lewis back.
2. Resign Nelson Cruz- Before his untimely 50 game drug suspension, Cruz was the best hitter in the Rangers lineup in 2013. Like Lewis, Cruz will most likely command less money than most of the big free agents. There are obviously lots of unknowns with bringing back Cruz, including his streaky bat and fielding. A one year arbitration deal would be the most prudent course of action while dealing with Cruz- we keep a strong bat for little charge with the ability to cut losses should things go south.
3. Sign a big OF bat- Sorry, but Alex Rios isn't going to be the answer in RF. The most popular bats in this ordeal are Giancarlo Stanton and Cargo. These two, however, would have to come via the trade lines. Trades of this caliber would most likely have to include Profar and a whole lot more. JD is smart though, and there is no way he would 'trade the farm system' for a single player, much like the Braves did when the Rangers dealt them Mark Teixeira. Other players on the FA market include Shin Soo Choo, who would be a great pickup if we can get him to choose the us over the Indians. Rios would end up being a kind of 'last resort' for the Rangers. It wouldn't be bad, but that means we would need a definite upgrade at 1st base and catcher
4. Say goodbye to David Murphy- Enough said
5. Solve catching dilemma- With Pierzynski likely not getting resigned, Soto would be our starting catcher. Soto did great when he played and came up clutch several time during the season, but i'm not sure how effective he will be on the offensive side of things if he played the entire season. Brian McCann is the biggest FA catcher out there, and I guess Napoli will be back on the market. I'm not ready to jump for McCann, but I would take Nap back in a hearbeat, assuming he wants to come back for some reason.....
6. Do something with DH- I honestly haven't taken a good look at any DH options on the market but there is no denying that we need to make an upgrade there

That's my list. I hope the Rangers have a big offseason this year. It may not be the things I listed, but whatever makes the Rangers better works for me
Did you want Nap back to catch? If so, I don't think he can any more b/c of a hip condition unless that has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.