• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ worked out so much better than I would've ever have guessed. That said, I don't want him back. I'd go with Soto as the main man in "today's game" and then get another back up. So, I'm advocating a backup to backup the backup.....let's be clear.

And Berkman....JD....my man...you messed up BIG TIME.

god the idea of going into the season with 2 backup catchers leaves me cold

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're on the same page. I just said yesterday, or the day before, I could see us going with Soto and maybe Navarro. Using the remaining money to fill other positions. Soto has the power to hit 20+ a year.

Exactly.......but today's game is sooooo based on offensive numbers, it's not even worth talking about.

To me: a catcher who makes the pitchers better, then I don't give a crap what he hits. We've got Darvish, Holland, Perez, Harrison.....hell....let's pitch and see if the other team can hit.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.......but today's game is sooooo based on offensive numbers, it's not even worth talking about.

To me: a catcher who makes the pitchers better, then I don't give a crap what he hits. We've got Darvish, Holland, Perez, Harrison.....hell....let's pitch and see if the other team can hit.
In my opinion a catcher's first priority is handling his pitchers. Soto does that. If he hits 250 or more w/15/20 hr, no problem. Not saying I don't want McCann.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion a catcher's first priority is handling his pitchers. Soto does that. If he hits 250 or more w/15/20 hr, no problem. Not saying I don't want McCann.

:agree: I think this should be the plan if we don't sign McCann. I'm not really interested in bringing Salty

back.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: I think this should be the plan if we don't sign McCann. I'm not really interested in bringing Salty

back.
I'm not either. Don't think he would come back. That being said, I really see Soto catching. priorities lie in dh, cof and 1b. That's not news but is a fact so we should have lots to figure out.. Looking forward to getting back in the thick of it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
god the idea of going into the season with 2 backup catchers leaves me cold

Other than McCann there aren't any starting quality catchers left, and if you say AJ, that's BS, Soto can be a better overall catcher than him, just with a lower average

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree DT and I think Soto has a good stroke. He may not be a high average guy but he will do some damage.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot help wonder how Profar would do playing one position the majority of the season. It would be nice to know what we really have there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping he feels guilty and that sways his decision to at least give us another year before hitting the market. It's so hard to predict because money changes everything. It's not like people thought we would go into last off-season hoping or believing we would sign Berkman and AJ. JD is going to have to overpay, otherwise he will lose fans.

Yeah, I hear you. But you already know that "money talks and BS walks."

I think we're on the same page regarding JD. To me, this is a really important off season. I mean really important. JD wanted to be the man at the desk where the buck stops, and now he's got it all to himself. Considering what he didn't do last year, I agree, he'd better find some money somewhere.

I know Baker is represented by Boras. So what's his status for next season?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot help wonder how Profar would do playing one position the majority of the season. It would be nice to know what we really have there.

i feel the same way but with Kinsler and Andrus entrenched at 2nd and SS and very little chance of bumping one of them he has no chance of showing that here.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel the same way but with Kinsler and Andrus entrenched at 2nd and SS and very little chance of bumping one of them he has no chance of showing that here.

And therein lies the problem. Would hate to see him turn out to be a very good player somewhere else and with so many years still ahead of him.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hear you. But you already know that "money talks and BS walks."

I think we're on the same page regarding JD. To me, this is a really important off season. I mean really important. JD wanted to be the man at the desk where the buck stops, and now he's got it all to himself. Considering what he didn't do last year, I agree, he'd better find some money somewhere.

I know Baker is represented by Boras. So what's his status for next season?

I doubt we bring him back, and I just read that TB might have some interest.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"And therein lies the problem"

So true.
The 20 year old with off the chart ability and lacking experience, or the 30 plus year old vet with proven track record starting his decline.

JD's up and it sure will be an interesting offseason

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that the Tigers and Jacoby Ellsbury could be a good fit. Good lord. How can they possibly spend over 100 million on another player? Wouldn't they rather pay Scherzer?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we bring him back, and I just read that TB might have some interest.

I don't know what he's going to command on the market, but he played for less than $2 mil last year. I'd love to see him back with us.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that the Tigers and Jacoby Ellsbury could be a good fit. Good lord. How can they possibly spend over 100 million on another player? Wouldn't they rather pay Scherzer?

They don't seem to be totally sold on Scherzer, and I'm not sure why. He's pitched well for them the past 4 years. But they are in need of a good OF, so I can understand their interest.

But you're right about the money.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. They already have the fans who were so excited a couple years ago for the behemoth contract with Fielder who are now booing him. If not careful they will go the way of the Angels and put all their money towards position players.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. They already have the fans who were so excited a couple years ago for the behemoth contract with Fielder who are now booing him. If not careful they will go the way of the Angels and put all their money towards position players.

A buddy of mine and I couldn't come up but a couple of names where a player has signed a mega contract and it's proven to be beneficial to the team. CC seems like a pretty good one. Maybe the Adrian Gonzalez deal too. But there's few and far between.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine and I couldn't come up but a couple of names where a player has signed a mega contract and it's proven to be beneficial to the team. CC seems like a pretty good one. Maybe the Adrian Gonzalez deal too. But there's few and far between.

Grienke, Cabrera, Longoria

Status
Not open for further replies.