• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I saw as a suggestion for Butler was to trade Kinsler for Bulter straight up and you sign Cruz to play RF. I know what a lot of you are probably thinking, you weaken the defense by doing this, but you end up saving money by moving Kins and paying Butler 8 million. That would save 8 million you can put toward 1B and C. It's not the worst idea in the world, but it's not the first option either. Okay feel free to pick me apart.

I didn't come up with his idea, but it makes financial sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I saw as a suggestion for Butler was to trade Kinsler for Bulter straight up and you sign Cruz to play RF. I know what a lot of you are probably thinking, you weaken the defense by doing this, but you end up saving money by moving Kins and paying Butler 8 million. That would save 8 million you can put toward 1B and C. It's not the worst idea in the world, but it's not the first option either. Okay feel free to pick me apart.

a couple of years down the road i can see us maybe trading Kinsler and not straight up for someone like butler

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a couple of years down the road i can see us maybe trading Kinsler and not straight up for someone like butler
I just like coming up with things to appease the pro kins salary dumper group. This could help make the offense better though and take a lot of money off the books.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't really weaken the defense at all, as I think Profar will quickly be better than Kinsler, plus it gives the team payroll flexibility

It does give the team less flexibility when it comes to the usage of the DH

Nothing to really pick apart as its actually not a terrible idea

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't really weaken the defense at all, as I think Profar will quickly be better than Kinsler, plus it gives the team payroll flexibility

It does weaken the defense putting Nelly back in the OF, but it's not terrible.
MLBtraderumors: The Royals went 86-76 in 2013 for their best performance of the wild-card era. ... The need for an upgrade at second base is obvious. Six Kansas City players combined for a .243/.296/.304 batting line and only four home runs.

The article was talking about Brandon Phillips.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Adam J Morris at LSB fleshed it out, and I agree it's not a terrible idea at all. And as Justin pointed out the defense would hurt with Nelson being in RF, but I think his offense makes up for it over all.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does weaken the defense putting Nelly back in the OF, but it's not terrible.
MLBtraderumors: The Royals went 86-76 in 2013 for their best performance of the wild-card era. ... The need for an upgrade at second base is obvious. Six Kansas City players combined for a .243/.296/.304 batting line and only four home runs.

The article was talking about Brandon Phillips.
I would miss kins, but if this truly was a chance to move him for a DH, then I might take it.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants just paid Lincecum 2 year/35 million with a full no trade clause. Do they realize he hasn't pitched well in 2 years?

There is a Mariners thread about Lincecum turning down the initial offer of 14, I basically said don't be surprised if he gets more, pitching...whether we think someone is worth it or not, is at a premium in the current market,
and there ya go, he turns down 14 and gets 35 with a full no trade.

I like him, hope he turns it around.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a Mariners thread about Lincecum turning down the initial offer of 14, I basically said don't be surprised if he gets more, pitching...whether we think someone is worth it or not, is at a premium in the current market,
and there ya go, he turns down 14 and gets 35 with a full no trade.

I like him, hope he turns it around.
It's being labeled as a reward contract. Financially they make no sense, but that's what the Giants do. And somehow they won two WS while doing that, so I don't know if we can judge them for it.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being labeled as a reward contract. Financially they make no sense, but that's what the Giants do. And somehow they won two WS while doing that, so I don't know if we can judge them for it.

No, I'd take the two rings. Not really judging. He was working on changing his approach this year, it worked for at least the no-hit game. It might be a reward contract, but maybe some do believe he'll be better, a different type pitcher, but better pitcher than the last two seasons.
who knows, guys do turn it around

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you never trade a quality position player for a DH who can't play any position.

You do if you can dump a bad contract and can comparably replace the production, which is what you would be betting on with Profar replacing Kinsler at 2B

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do if you can dump a bad contract and can comparably replace the production, which is what you would be betting on with Profar replacing Kinsler at 2B
Key words "betting on." And hope that Profar's bat comes along from what he did this year.

I do think he will develop into a better hitter than his numbers were at 20y/o this year, but doubt he is ever a 30/30 guy.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key words "betting on." And hope that Profar's bat comes along from what he did this year.

I do think he will develop into a better hitter than his numbers were at 20y/o this year, but doubt he is ever a 30/30 guy.

he can still be a better player when it's all said and done and not be a 30/30 guy.
Those 30/30 days are long gone. Time to look forward

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His production was down this year at the plate, but is $16M a year that bad of a contract? I think what we are about to see Cano get as well as Pedroia is getting, Ian won't look like his contract is that out of whack for a good 2B.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be ok if he hit less than 5 HR's if he can hit .300 or better.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt he ever steals 30 bases, and I doubt he ever hits 30 HR's, much less in the same year. Profar is not fast.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam J Morris at LSB fleshed it out, and I agree it's not a terrible idea at all. And as Justin pointed out the defense would hurt with Nelson being in RF, but I think his offense makes up for it over all.

So if we traded Kins for Butler and put Cruz in RF then it goes without saying that we are putting Rios in LF. I saw where 1/3 of his time was in CF and the rest in RF with the exception of 1 game in LF. That could be a tough adjustment but if it can be done we have really bolstered our offense. Add another piece and possibly two and it could be dangerous again.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he ever steals 30 bases, and I doubt he ever hits 30 HR's, much less in the same year. Profar is not fast.

plus his instincts on the base paths isn't very good. they may get better but don't see him ever being 30+ a year base stealer

Status
Not open for further replies.