• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand. Why would they not? He's done a terrific job there, the catching market for MLB front line catching is amazing baron, and he's still only 28.

I think catchers can damn near write their own checks. AJ at 37 (??) is in demand. McCann and is avg bat is needed, by almost everyone. Catching, across the board, is very weak in the majors.
I don't see him making 14 million a year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him making 14 million a year.

Me either. But like I said, the market for catching is awful. You know it as well or better than me.

How much do you want to pay AJ again? And for me, I don't want him back in Texas "at all." How many years would you have to offer him or McCann?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me either. But like I said, the market for catching is awful. You know it as well or better than me.

How much do you want to pay AJ again? And for me, I don't want him back in Texas "at all." How many years would you have to offer him or McCann?
AJ only made 7.5 MM last year, so he wouldn't be getting more money next year at 38. And I don't know how many years it would take for McCann. Just hope it's not anything higher than 4/60.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ only made 7.5 MM last year, so he wouldn't be getting more money next year at 38. And I don't know how many years it would take for McCann. Just hope it's not anything higher than 4/60.

If I'm AJ, I'm looking for a 2 year $15 mil, or a one year at $11. Maybe it's just me.

But McCann at 4/60 is what it may take, but that's way over the top for him. It may be this is what it takes, and might be a fine investment.

How long before our catching prospect (what's his name?? - sorry - I forget) is MLB ready? 2 years?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm AJ, I'm looking for a 2 year $15 mil, or a one year at $11. Maybe it's just me.

But McCann at 4/60 is what it may take, but that's way over the top for him. It may be this is what it takes, and might be a fine investment.

How long before our catching prospect (what's his name?? - sorry - I forget) is MLB ready? 2 years?
Jorge Alfaro probably not ready til 2016.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jorge Alfaro probably not ready til 2016.

Thanks. Let's hope he, and others, are the next wave of catching greatness, because the majors are filled with guys who are serviceable at best. Actually, less than serviceable in many cases.

Someone suggested here that we go with Soto as our front liner, and then get another "Soto" as the backup. Seemed a little out there, but upon further review, it ain't near as crazy as it initially sounded.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why exactly is Soto not a candidate for starting catcher? He handles the pitchers well. Does a good job on defense and throws well. That is the main requirements for a catcher in my opinion. Not the best with a bat. Probably averages 200/250. Better OBP than AJ and out performs him in almost every category. Prefer McCann if possible but not willing to give away the farm to get him when Soto is cheaper and allows more money to acquire DH, PITCHING, LF, ETC. I think Soto can do the job and would like your opinion why he can't.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why exactly is Soto not a candidate for starting catcher? He handles the pitchers well. Does a good job on defense and throws well. That is the main requirements for a catcher in my opinion. Not the best with a bat. Probably averages 200/250. Better OBP than AJ and out performs him in almost every category. Prefer McCann if possible but not willing to give away the farm to get him when Soto is cheaper and allows more money to acquire DH, PITCHING, LF, ETC. I think Soto can do the job and would like your opinion why he can't.

because the Rangers are limited in the offensive areas they can pick up and they need a catcher who also brings offense. Soto occasionally brings it but more often than not he is an offensive liability

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because the Rangers are limited in the offensive areas they can pick up and they need a catcher who also brings offense. Soto occasionally brings it but more often than not he is an offensive liability
Thanks for your opinion. Now consider we may not get McCann. AJ, Soto? What now? I do not want AJ back. Soto or who. Maybe Salty but not sure of that.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your opinion. Now consider we may not get McCann. AJ, Soto? What now? I do not want AJ back. Soto or who. Maybe Salty but not sure of that.

DT, I couldn't help but notice the Baylor University logo as one of your favorite teams. I thought you were a proud North Texas graduate :)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if we don't get McCann then it's pretty thin in my view. some on here would rate Soto ahead of AJ, personally neither is a decent starter. Salty is probably the best choice after McCann but don't know if he come back here.

i think the Rangers go hard after McCann and if that fails then it's a crapshoot

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT, I couldn't help but notice the Baylor University logo as one of your favorite teams. I thought you were a proud North Texas graduate :)
Baylor was in the s. w.conference and they were my football favorite. Did not care about North Texas football. And yes I am a proud grad of NTSU.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:wtf2:
Why would Boston give a QO to Salty? He would take that in a heart beat.

BOS is unlikely to offer Saltalamachia a QO ... 1yr/$14mil ... but then nobody else is either.

Let's assume TEX is where BOS is right now w/Salty their catcher. Over the past three years knowing how TEX tried to upgrade at C ... why was it that BOS paired him with journeyman catchers and didn't push to upgrade? Maybe in looking at their options they are happy with where they are. If TEX were in the same spot ... they probably would do the same thing.

BOS will let him go to free agency and IMO depending how the post season goes stand a pretty good chance of keeping him for something like 3 for $24mil or maybe a little more.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2:

BOS is unlikely to offer Saltalamachia a QO ... 1yr/$14mil ... but then nobody else is either.

Let's assume TEX is where BOS is right now w/Salty their catcher. Over the past three years knowing how TEX tried to upgrade at C ... why was it that BOS paired him with journeyman catchers and didn't push to upgrade? Maybe in looking at their options they are happy with where they are. If TEX were in the same spot ... they probably would do the same thing.

BOS will let him go to free agency and IMO depending how the post season goes stand a pretty good chance of keeping him for something like 3 for $24mil or maybe a little more.
I have no clue why he would even want to come back to Texas. I read alot that bridge is burned, and I believe it.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know what to expect this offseason, cuz i was INCREDIBLY disappointed this year. Greinke, upton, shields, gosh I hate thinking about it.

Looking like the big trade this year will be price. The biggest FA we go after this year will more than likely be McCann who we've already scouted in July. Stanton trade may perhaps be a hard plan B. But there is no need in bringing profar back IMO. I feel like this year JD will be more willing to part with profar.

Here's the way I see it. We need to sign Nelly, a catcher, a 1b (done with mitch), and another pitcher would be nice. Now there is a bunch of options at these positions that are upgrades. We should sign cruz, but if we cant manage too there are plan B's like Stanton or a short term deal for Beltran.. Of course, there is McCann at catcher, but a great plan B is Salty. Price is a great option at pitcher obviously, but good plan b's are ubaldo and nolasco. I expect us to make a trade this year because of the way last year went and hopefully JD comes to his senses and realizes that when you have a very promising prospect there is no sense in hanging on to him. We also will have a bunch of extra money this year to spend. Let's make it happen at the winter meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.