• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They looked terrible. Night and day from last night. Down 1-0 after 15 seconds in the 2nd night of a back to back doesn't help. We had a chance to tie it immediately and Eakin blew it.

I think the team will be fine. They're still a work in progress and that blue line is still in a transition that will be made over. There's kids coming up in Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Klingenberg but that'll still be another season or two away. That said this team is still going to improve and Ellis will be fine. He's been a solid #1 goalie before and we know one of the toughest jobs in the NHL is being a good backup goalie. But I don't think we have anything to worry about in Ellis.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is 1.75 million for Frasor seems really dang cheap and a bargain? I would have thought he could have gotten significantly more.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is 1.75 million for Frasor seems really dang cheap and a bargain? I would have thought he could have gotten significantly more.

Apparently he really wants to be here.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that Ubaldo is testing the free agent market.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that Ubaldo is testing the free agent market.

He might be a good pickup. Not sold one way or the other. But I don't see the Rangers spending $14 mil a season on a pitcher who may be a #5 when we need help at 4 positions.

I swear, I have a nagging feeling the FO is leaning toward bringing back Ogando as a starter. REALLY not sold on this one mysef, but for some reason, I think the club is going to solve their #5 slot internally.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be a good pickup. Not sold one way or the other. But I don't see the Rangers spending $14 mil a season on a pitcher who may be a #5 when we need help at 4 positions.

I swear, I have a nagging feeling the FO is leaning toward bringing back Ogando as a starter. REALLY not sold on this one mysef, but for some reason, I think the club is going to solve their #5 slot internally.

i think Ogando is too fragile to be a starter. think the Rangers move him and Feliz to the bullpen,

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think Ogando is too fragile to be a starter. think the Rangers move him and Feliz to the bullpen,

I hear ya, and I can't quote to you what I read within the past few weeks, which gave me the impression the Rangers are going to try and solve their starter opening internally. From this, again I'm assuming, the best internal candidate is Ogando. Maybe not.

Do you know if Ross is going to winter ball? He expressed a great desire to try and start, and the Rangers in the past have shown they're willing to roll the dice a little.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, and I can't quote to you what I read within the past few weeks, which gave me the impression the Rangers are going to try and solve their starter opening internally. From this, again I'm assuming, the best internal candidate is Ogando. Maybe not.

Do you know if Ross is going to winter ball? He expressed a great desire to try and start, and the Rangers in the past have shown they're willing to roll the dice a little.

I agree that Ogando is too fragile which is too bad but there is just something about his pitching motion that puts extra stress on his arm. We would just keep having to fill his spot each time he is on the DL. I also wonder about Ross and his stamina. If they fill it internally it would end up being someone like Tepesch. But it leaves us with little room for error for any other pitchers having issues.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

have not heard anything about Ross and winter ball

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Ogando is too fragile which is too bad but there is just something about his pitching motion that puts extra stress on his arm. We would just keep having to fill his spot each time he is on the DL. I also wonder about Ross and his stamina. If they fill it internally it would end up being someone like Tepesch. But it leaves us with little room for error for any other pitchers having issues.

I think we all have legitimate concerns re: Ogando. To me, not only is his stamina in question, but so is his lack of pitches. And maybe some of this conversation is contingent on what the FO decides on Nathan.

Ross' lack of stamina is YTBD. Maybe Tepesch is an option. Maybe there's someone out there, inside or outside the organization, which has yet to be examined. But I still maintain, our # 5 starter is not our most glaring of needs, by any stretch.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all have legitimate concerns re: Ogando. To me, not only is his stamina in question, but so is his lack of pitches. And maybe some of this conversation is contingent on what the FO decides on Nathan.

Ross' lack of stamina is YTBD. Maybe Tepesch is an option. Maybe there's someone out there, inside or outside the organization, which has yet to be examined. But I still maintain, our # 5 starter is not our most glaring of needs, by any stretch.

agree. we need to address C & LF first and possible DH then worry about 5th starter. but personally i'm not crazy about any of our internal options for 5th starters

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree. we need to address C & LF first and possible DH then worry about 5th starter. but personally i'm not crazy about any of our internal options for 5th starters

Maybe someone whom we least expect - Kirkman, Tepesch, Ogando, Ross - steps into the role and becomes the next Martin Perez. Not one of us was expecting so much from him last year. And what do we think of him now?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someone whom we least expect - Kirkman, Tepesch, Ogando, Ross - steps into the role and becomes the next Martin Perez. Not one of us was expecting so much from him last year. And what do we think of him now?

like i said none of the 4 you mentioned grabs me as starter material

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i said none of the 4 you mentioned grabs me as starter material

I do understand. But someone's gotta fill this roll. And please keep in mind that first, I'm not making a recommendation, and second, Ogando - if I' doing the math properly - is 22/12 as a starter. Granted, this is over 3 seasons.

And it is all dependent on what JD & Co decide what the budget is, and where to invest.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do understand. But someone's gotta fill this roll. And please keep in mind that first, I'm not making a recommendation, and second, Ogando - if I' doing the math properly - is 22/12 as a starter. Granted, this is over 3 seasons.

And it is all dependent on what JD & Co decide what the budget is, and where to invest.

they have to look at him with a concern about how many times he ends up on the DL. i'd rather see Jackson

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the reports tying us to Napoli & Salty are nothing but fluff. reports are Boston intends to offer both QO's and i don't see JD giving our 1st and 2nd round picks up to get them.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the reports tying us to Napoli & Salty are nothing but fluff. reports are Boston intends to offer both QO's and i don't see JD giving our 1st and 2nd round picks up to get them.
Why would Boston give a QO to Salty? He would take that in a heart beat.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Boston give a QO to Salty? He would take that in a heart beat.

I don't understand. Why would they not? He's done a terrific job there, the catching market for MLB front line catching is amazing baron, and he's still only 28.

I think catchers can damn near write their own checks. AJ at 37 (??) is in demand. McCann and is avg bat is needed, by almost everyone. Catching, across the board, is very weak in the majors.

Status
Not open for further replies.