• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is old news, I apologize. Reportedly neither Boston or the Yankees will give Beltran more than two years.
of course there are others that would. Beltran is probably in the position where he doesn't care so much about playing for a contender, I'm speculating of course. Does he really care if he ends up with a team like the Royals, if he gets the years and the money?

My point is I'm losing faith that we would be able to sign him, assuming JD is not going to get into a bidding war for someone his age, and give him more years than he wants to

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is old news, I apologize. Reportedly neither Boston or the Yankees will give Beltran more than two years.
of course there are others that would. Beltran is probably in the position where he doesn't care so much about playing for a contender, I'm speculating of course. Does he really care if he ends up with a team like the Royals, if he gets the years and the money?

My point is I'm losing faith that we would be able to sign him, assuming JD is not going to get into a bidding war for someone his age, and give him more years than he wants to

Three years doesn't seem a lot to me. And at one time JD wanted Beltran to come to Texas to talk as he did at KC. But there is decidedly lack of rumors coming out concerning Texas and Beltran. He'd seem perfect to me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three years doesn't seem a lot to me. And at one time JD wanted Beltran to come to Texas to talk as he did at KC. But there is decidedly lack of rumors coming out concerning Texas and Beltran. He'd seem perfect to me.

I'd give him 3 to come here. First, we need the LF spot (for the three thousandth time), his hitting - avg/power/situational ability, and perhaps overlooked, his leadership.

I don't underestimate the leadership he brings in the clubhouse. Beltre is great, but he's really the only one we've got right now.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him 3 to come here. First, we need the LF spot (for the three thousandth time), his hitting - avg/power/situational ability, and perhaps overlooked, his leadership.

I don't underestimate the leadership he brings in the clubhouse. Beltre is great, but he's really the only one we've got right now.

I think it was Romeo who said something like that we should make the 3rd year an option which I am guessing is based on incentives and I think that would be a fair and wise thing to do.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I initially said two with an option for a 3rd...I'm fine with 3 in light of how things might be shaking out.
Choo, with the Ellsbury signing, likely just watched his numbers go up.

and agree, I can't find anything about us and Beltran...but certainly JD is in there? just a matter of how high it gets :noidea:
I can't think of a reason Beltran would not meet with us...could be private meetings
sigh

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I initially said two with an option for a 3rd...I'm fine with 3 in light of how things might be shaking out.
Choo, with the Ellsbury signing, likely just watched his numbers go up.

and agree, I can't find anything about us and Beltran...but certainly JD is in there? just a matter of how high it gets :noidea:
I can't think of a reason Beltran would not meet with us...could be private meetings
sigh

I'd take Beltran on a 2 year deal with an option for the 3rd year, but he'd most likely be the DH if we got him since his defense is understandably bad due to his age.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was Romeo who said something like that we should make the 3rd year an option which I am guessing is based on incentives and I think that would be a fair and wise thing to do.

Romeo might have said it, but I said 3rd/y option as well, now...just give him three

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Beltran on a 2 year deal with an option for the 3rd year, but he'd most likely be the DH if we got him since his defense is understandably bad due to his age.

fair, but...
I don't know that we have the luxury of worrying about his defense, we'll have Rios and Martin out there...that helps.

He does need to be rested, the Cards did it and it obviously worked.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got told not to expect any significant moves from our part until the winter meetings. Some of the scouts don't even have to work again until then. So the only way there'd be a big move if it was completely on people who work above the scouts.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got told not to expect any significant moves from our part until the winter meetings. Some of the scouts don't even have to work again until then. So the only way there'd be a big move if it was completely on people who work above the scouts.

But you wouldn't need a scout to sign someone like Beltran, correct?

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you wouldn't need a scout to sign someone like Beltran, correct?

Correct. However, some scouts are immediately assigned to attend physicals on new free agent signings. Based on my friend's location, I doubt he would be one of them, but still.

I wouldn't expect us to sign Beltran at this point. He keeps telling me about people we are interested in and his name has only come up a couple of times.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually the scouts are there for trade purposes, and for last second recommendations on an appropriate price range for FA's. But I wouldn't expect any FA signings until then either. There isn't really a point for someone to sign right now. They might as well wait for the meetings where all the GM's will be there because the stress and pressure to increase the price will be more clear

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. However, some scouts are immediately assigned to attend physicals on new free agent signings. Based on my friend's location, I doubt he would be one of them, but still.

I wouldn't expect us to sign Beltran at this point. He keeps telling me about people we are interested in and his name has only come up a couple of times.

The more digging I do, the more it looks like he's going to KC, if we tried to trade for Butler they would want pitching/pitching prospects. If they would even trade him.

splat

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually the scouts are there for trade purposes, and for last second recommendations on an appropriate price range for FA's. But I wouldn't expect any FA signings until then either. There isn't really a point for someone to sign right now. They might as well wait for the meetings where all the GM's will be there because the stress and pressure to increase the price will be more clear

I would have expected that too except for all the crap that went down yesterday. It got our hopes up that everything else would follow suit in the next few days. If your friend is not hearing Beltran's name banding about and Choo would be expensive, JD's gotta have some trades in mind. Thanks for the info.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Morosi@jonmorosi [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]408358953370673152[/MEDIA]"]2m[/ame] Sources confirm MLB-NPB agreement near, with NPB clubs indicating they will accept $20 million maximum bid.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran in left for 120 - give or take - 35+ @ DH, and then have Beltre as our # 4 OF. Can we live with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.