• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I agree Choo is probably out

as soon as I say no one will pay Cruz 75 mill, someone will do it tomorrow.
Hope I'm wrong.

Hope its just not someone in our division, have heard talks of Seattle and Oakland wanting to sign him

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope its just not someone in our division, have heard talks of Seattle and Oakland wanting to sign him

Rumors are Mariners are looking to spend big...I know I'm repeating myself, but I believe it

Oakland would be the ultimate shock, I say 99.9% no.

EDIT, you were talking about Cruz, I thought we were talking about Choo...I'm trying to read about the Ellsbury deal, sorry.

I still don't think Oakland pays that for Cruz, the Mariners, yes.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you guys and gals think about the Rangers going after Hideki Kuroda? yea or nay?

Not a bad idea, but I still get a really strong feeling that we land David Price this offseason. I've read too many reputable sources, including Terp's guy today, who all say that the Rangers and Rays have been active in discussions. It seems to me that JD really wants Price and that TB likes a bunch of our guys, everyone from Profar to Perez to Moreland. There seems to be an eagerness on both sides to make a deal happen. And with as many possible moving parts and assets as both teams have, you gotta think they could come to an agreement. Marc Topkin, the beat writer for the Rays who seems to be a pretty smart guy and well-connected to the team, recently wrote an article about how he too senses a Price-to-Texas deal is likely based on what he has heard.

I could be totally wrong and it could all be smoke and no fire, but I really think JD pulls the trigger and brings in the big-name ace to pair with Yu.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jd won't mortgage the future just to make the flashy signing. We see where that has gotten the angels. Beltran is an outstanding option and is still available. Cruz is a decent backup plan, and keep in mind that multiple top free agents are still available that could help the rangers.

Beltran
Cano (I know, pipe dream)
Choo
Cruz
Hart
Morales
Napoli

A trade is also a real possibility with depth at the farm. Keep in mind, if we get Cano both profar and Andrus before killer trade pieces.

Granderson would be ok.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the the Jays signing of Melky is about the barometer on Cruz but maybe a little higher given Cruz's numbers didn't just skyrocket out of no where. Even if they give him a lot per year, I can't see him getting a long contract, maybe 3 years max but what do I know.

Fun fact though, pretty much had a career low season across the board in the season we know he used PEDs.

I don't think Cruz used PED's to get stronger or increase bat speed or make his numbers better, the main reason I believe he used was to stay healthy. The product he was using was to help speed up the recovery time from all the training and the nagging injuries but not necessarily to get him bigger and stronger. He has plenty of power naturally, i can't be mad at him he had a horrible track record with hamstring injuries and was looking to stay healthy and get paid. He got caught and there are a bunch of guys out there doing things and just haven't been caught yet

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That sure seems like a ton for him given his situation. I honestly can't see him getting more than 3 years @ $45M. And that is still way over Melky's $16M 2 year contract.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said Boras drove up the price on Ellsbury to price Jay-z and cano out of the yanks plans and stick it to Cano for firing him basically

Well, Boras is Boras..but he's smart enough to make deals that aren't outrageous and he can get away with. (obviously)

In other words, Jay-Z and Co. thought they were going to out Boras, Boras...not going to happen, Boras has a lot of experience and connections.

(I just wanted to see how many times I could say Boras)

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea, but I still get a really strong feeling that we land David Price this offseason. I've read too many reputable sources, including Terp's guy today, who all say that the Rangers and Rays have been active in discussions. It seems to me that JD really wants Price and that TB likes a bunch of our guys, everyone from Profar to Perez to Moreland. There seems to be an eagerness on both sides to make a deal happen. And with as many possible moving parts and assets as both teams have, you gotta think they could come to an agreement. Marc Topkin, the beat writer for the Rays who seems to be a pretty smart guy and well-connected to the team, recently wrote an article about how he too senses a Price-to-Texas deal is likely based on what he has heard.

I could be totally wrong and it could all be smoke and no fire, but I really think JD pulls the trigger and brings in the big-name ace to pair with Yu.

Don't discount Tampa hiring Jason Cole as a pro scout. He knows the Rangers farm as well as anyone. Any trade with Tampa will probably hurt

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point, I can even see today's acquisition of Choice factoring into that trade. It would be awesome to have a rotation headlined by Price and Yu.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard for me to root for the Yankees, but I like the idea of telling an agent to stick your 300 million,
Cano is GREAT, but no way is he worth that.

WOW

Robinson Cano is a certifiable idiot for leaving Scott Boras to sign with Jay-Z's Roc Nation. I despise Boras as much as the next guy, but there is no better agent in baseball for landing ridiculous contracts for his clients. You leave the #1 agent in baseball for a hip hop mogul's flashy startup agency, you deserve to lose millions. Hope partying with Beyoncé was worth that 8-figure loss you just took.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Cruz used PED's to get stronger or increase bat speed or make his numbers better, the main reason I believe he used was to stay healthy. The product he was using was to help speed up the recovery time from all the training and the nagging injuries but not necessarily to get him bigger and stronger. He has plenty of power naturally, i can't be mad at him he had a horrible track record with hamstring injuries and was looking to stay healthy and get paid. He got caught and there are a bunch of guys out there doing things and just haven't been caught yet

I agree 100%, I am not upset with him at all. I was saying all year long if Cruz did Steroids it probably had something to do with that horrible stomach virus he got a few months after the WS. But didn't he say himself that he did to to put weight back on because of the virus?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that the Yankees gave Ellsbury an option for an 8th year and a full no-trade clause in his contract. Unreal. Massive overpay in years, dollars, and perks for an extremely injury-prone guy with only 1 season of elite numbers. The Yankees literally just repeated their Johnny Damon signing all over again, only this time for more money and years.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson Cano is a certifiable idiot for leaving Scott Boras to sign with Jay-Z's Roc Nation. I despise Boras as much as the next guy, but there is no better agent in baseball for landing ridiculous contracts for his clients. You leave the #1 agent in baseball for a hip hop mogul's flashy startup agency, you deserve to lose millions. Hope partying with Beyoncé was worth that 8-figure loss you just took.

Hey Jay Z gave him a watch though

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%, I am not upset with him at all. I was saying all year long if Cruz did Steroids it probably had something to do with that horrible stomach virus he got a few months after the WS. But didn't he say himself that he did to to put weight back on because of the virus?

yeah I think I remember him saying that too

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that the Yankees gave Ellsbury an option for an 8th year and a full no-trade clause in his contract. Unreal. Massive overpay in years, dollars, and perks for an extremely injury-prone guy with only 1 season of elite numbers. The Yankees literally just repeated their Johnny Damon signing all over again, only this time for more money and years.

Ridiculously absurd contracts are their thing it seems

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculously absurd contracts are their thing it seems

Yeah, I guess they saw the Dodgers spend like crazy last offseason and didn't want another team taking their irresponsible spender title away from them.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, I can even see today's acquisition of Choice factoring into that trade. It would be awesome to have a rotation headlined by Price and Yu.

As long as they have enough offense to score a couple runs for them and not lose games 1 to 0

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's laughable that Jay-Z, (who did have actual agents working with him) thought he was going to pull this off. We've all been saying it from the beginning, I noticed he has already stepped back from the supposed meetings with the Yankees.

But, make no mistake. Jay-Z is in the financial position that this loss won't make him blink.
It's Cano that got hurt, if he wanted to stay with the Yankees for life, and we just watched them shut the door on him.

As far as Boras, he's smart enough to adjust with the market and will adjust for his players, he'll make deals that aren't crazy. EA for example
(not that I'm a Boras fan, just sayin)

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they have enough offense to score a couple runs for them and not lose games 1 to 0

Everytime someone brings up Price, that's all I can think. GREAT rotation and we can't score...

Has to be more fire-power than Fielder and Beltre or at least another above average hitter...who get's on.
I'm not interested in trading prospects for Price only to watch us strand runner after runner.

The thought is maddening...much less watching it unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.