• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year Josh Donaldson is top 5. So there's that...

I would qualify him being right on the edge of having an MVP type season. He certainly had a good year at a new position. I hope it doesn't continue.

I don't see Profar putting up enough offense to ever be in the top 5.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was weird. I was typing that not knowing you had written something about Donaldson.

I would qualify him being right on the edge of having an MVP type season. He certainly had a good year at a new position. I hope it doesn't continue.

I don't see Profar putting up enough offense to ever be in the top 5.

He's a super douche. This is an outlier season.

Profar plays the kind of defense that allows him to put up that much fWAR. Look at Manny Machado. A lot of his WAR is defense based.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel very safe in saying that Profar will never be AL MVP.

I think you've dropped your Magic 8 ball one too many times

I love how people are down b/c a 20 year old SS prospect struggled and "didn't meet expectations" if anything he exceeded them by being on the roster at all and playing decent defense and hitting 6 HRs

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a super douche. This is an outlier season.

Profar plays the kind of defense that allows him to put up that much fWAR. Look at Manny Machado. A lot of his WAR is defense based.

True, but a lot of it is also doubles and runs scored.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you've dropped your Magic 8 ball one too many times

I love how people are down b/c a 20 year old SS prospect struggled and "didn't meet expectations" if anything he exceeded them by being on the roster at all and playing decent defense and hitting 6 HRs

I was never big on him. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "down" on him. The Rangers made it worse by bringing him up too early, and never letting him get comfortable.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but a lot of it is also doubles and runs scored.
He put up pretty average offensive numbers. I think people are expecting those doubles to leave the yard next year. If they do then Manny is going to be a 9 win player.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never big on him. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "down" on him. The Rangers made it worse by bringing him up too early, and never letting him get comfortable.

Not ever being big on him qualifies as just the same

If you can't get excited about a 20 year old prospect that will play good defense, hit for good power (for a SS 10-15 HRs is good), and is already played about half a season in the majors, then I have to question what you know about baseball

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He put up pretty average offensive numbers. I think people are expecting those doubles to leave the yard next year. If they do then Manny is going to be a 9 win player.

Yeah, I think he's going to get much bigger. He has that body type.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you can't get excited about a 20 year old prospect that will play good defense, hit for good power (for a SS 10-15 HRs is good), and is already played about half a season in the majors, then I have to question what you know about baseball
10 HRs for a SS with 500 PA would be good for middle of the pack this past year. 15 would be top 5. I would take that in a heart beat. But I don't see him playing SS anytime soon.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know plenty about the game. Just because my excitement for a kid that hit around .230 isn't at the same level as yours, doesn't mean I don't know the game. If he had come up and shown anything he wouldn't be in trade talks. If we didn't already have a 2B I would probably be a little more excited. He's not going to play either SS or 2B on a regular basis here.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know plenty about the game. Just because my excitement for a kid that hit around .230 isn't at the same level as yours, doesn't mean I don't know the game. If he had come up and shown anything he wouldn't be in trade talks. If we didn't already have a 2B I would probably be a little more excited.

Once again, 20 years old, persepctive is everything, if he was 25, you would have a point

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, 20 years old, persepctive is everything, if he was 25, you would have a point

I'm aware of how old he is. If the Rangers don't trade him, I fear they will screw him up by moving him around like they did this year. I guess time will tell. I hope I'm proven wrong. Like I said yesterday, one of them (Ian/Profar) has got to be moved. I'm ok with moving either of them as long as we add 3 bats.

Tacobenboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you just compare Kinsler to Jeter?

and you say c'mon man?

:laugh3:

Wow, just wow man. I am not a fan of Kins being a leadoff hitter and sure I've been frustrated when he gets into pop mode but are you kidding me? Kinsler is a solid 2b at worst if not slightly above average and over 162 games is going to be pretty steady offensively with a little pop. Profar has talent to be sure but let's not get carried away either.

This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and therefore young players with lots of talent have to perform above and beyond when they get their chances if they hope to unseat the veterans. If the Yankees followed this logic they would have canned Jeter five years ago only to see him have one of his best hitting years two years ago. As they say on MNF....C'mon Man.

Never did I directly compare Kinsler to Jeter. What was being pointed out, obviously well enough go you to feel the need to completely ignore the true point, is that players numbers vary year to year over the course of a career and you can't just go chasing the next greatest thing everytime a player has a down year or two. Profar proved only that he is as capable as Ian Kinsler when it comes to poor at bats in big situations, delivering a clutch hit every now and then, making some inexplicable base running and fielding gaffes, and the occasional web gem.

Ted Williams didn't hit .400 every year
Lou Gherig didn't hit 61 HR every year
And Jeter even had some bad years and that doesn't mean you go trade them for the sake of getting an unproven 20 yr old in there.

Tacobenboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never did I directly compare Kinsler to Jeter. What was being pointed out, obviously well enough go you to feel the need to completely ignore the true point, is that players numbers vary year to year over the course of a career and you can't just go chasing the next greatest thing everytime a player has a down year or two. Profar proved only that he is as capable as Ian Kinsler when it comes to poor at bats in big situations, delivering a clutch hit every now and then, making some inexplicable base running and fielding gaffes, and the occasional web gem.

Ted Williams didn't hit .400 every year
Lou Gherig didn't hit 61 HR every year
And Jeter even had some bad years and that doesn't mean you go trade them for the sake of getting an unproven 20 yr old in there.

And by the way, in terms of Avg. Kinsler had his best year since 2010 and exactly the same number of RBI's as last season. Best all around 2b in the AL west for sure and among the top 3 or 4 numerically in the AL.

Does he frustrate the ever loving hell out of me? Of course. But I don't see where this mandate to off him and get Profar in there comes from.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Status
Not open for further replies.