• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yours show that you would trade Kinsler for a can of corn with little regard for the effect on the team. i don't believe there was or is any mutual interest between the Dodgers and Rangers

Can of corn you say....:lol:
I've only said I'd move Kinsler of the three.
Matters to me what you think. My question was more who might be acceptable to Kinsler

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it so necessary to add power to the lineup? The Rangers were 8th in the league in homeruns in 2013 and only 2 behind Boston. We also came in 7th in slugging percentage. More than anything we need guys that can get on base. The Rangers were 30 points lower than Boston in OBP and and 15 points lower in batting average. The More runners they can get on base the more runs they will score. Obviously you have to replace what is being lost with Cruz in power, but other than that they need guys that can get on base.

those are good numbers but we failed to support our pitching staff even with that. we lost 10 games 1-0 including 4 started by Darvish

Jcouch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You answered your own question. We lost Napoli, Josh, AJ and now Cruz (currently) in the last 2 years. We lost too many games last year where we could not generate runs. OBP is great, but not if you can't hit w/ RISP. I can't believe anyone would argue that we need more power in this line-up. Who is protecting Beltre right now?

I did not answer my own question what so ever. I said we need to replace the power lost from Cruz. Hamilton and Napoli are non factors from what happened last year. Yes, we struggled scoring runs, but runs are scored in many different ways than swinging for the fence. St. Loius was 27th in the league last year in home runs, but 3rd in runs scored. If we sign MCcan he will be fine protecting Beltre in the lineup and replacing the lost power from Cruz. How does signing a bunch of power hitters make the team better at hitting with RISP? The higher a players average the more likely he is to hit with runners in scoring position. The top 3 teams in runs scored last year were the top 3 teams in OBP. Those teams also finished top 3 in batting average. How can you argue that power is more important??

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can of corn you say....:lol:
I've only said I'd move Kinsler of the three.
Matters to me what you think. My question was more who might be acceptable to Kinsler

okay i still think we will trade Profar or Andrus and it would be for players that help the team. and only after we have address some of the other needs the team has. still think the most logical move would be either Profar or Andrus to the Cardinals for Miller +.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not answer my own question what so ever. I said we need to replace the power lost from Cruz. Hamilton and Napoli are non factors from what happened last year. Yes, we struggled scoring runs, but runs are scored in many different ways than swinging for the fence. St. Loius was 27th in the league last year in home runs, but 3rd in runs scored. If we sign MCcan he will be fine protecting Beltre in the lineup and replacing the lost power from Cruz. How does signing a bunch of power hitters make the team better at hitting with RISP? The higher a players average the more likely he is to hit with runners in scoring position. The top 3 teams in runs scored last year were the top 3 teams in OBP. Those teams also finished top 3 in batting average. How can you argue that power is more important??

Comparing St. Louis to us is irrelevant. I understand how runs are scored. If you read my response I said that OBP is important, but not if you can't knock them in. I never said power would alleviate the RISP problem. I also never said power is more important. I simply said that we need to add power to this line-up. It's not as though I'm the only one that feels this way. It was very evident last year.

McCann's power is what would protect Beltre along with his ability to get on base. You are saying you don't think we need to add power, but then you said "if we sign McCann". What do you think he is?

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You answered your own question. We lost Napoli, Josh, AJ and now Cruz (currently) in the last 2 years. We lost too many games last year where we could not generate runs. OBP is great, but not if you can't hit w/ RISP. I can't believe anyone would argue that we need more power in this line-up. Who is protecting Beltre right now?[/QUOTE:agree:]Justin you nailed it here. RISP without hits sunk our ship this year. I don't know how many we left on base but it was ample and if we had taken advantage with timely hits we would have won many more games. RISP was not the problem. Failure to execute at the plate was.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay i still think we will trade Profar or Andrus and it would be for players that help the team. and only after we have address some of the other needs the team has. still think the most logical move would be either Profar or Andrus to the Cardinals for Miller +.

Tell you what scotty....I'll give you Kinsler and trade Profar. Elvis doesn't need to be a consideration.

I don't see the Cards as trade partners, certainly nothing like what has been thrown around here. I think JD sees that Texas needs three additions to the everyday players. I think those are catcher, RH hitting power and LH left fielder with pop. I think JD will only land a starter if it falls in his lap. I think he likes his investment in Darvish and the three left handers. I think he's comfortable in thinking it's a back end of the rotation guy if he lands one in trade or FA. Could be wrong but that's what I think. McCann, Nap and Granderson would be my wish list. That costs me 3 first round selections, but I get one back with saying adios to Cruz. At this point I'm looking to move Kinsler and get some team salary relief from signing the big ticket guys mentioned. That could be a starter, but I think it's a reliever with a track record...maybe both. I think it's a win now situation here in Texas and pretty sure JD see's this as well.

This isn't likely but I'd sure like to see it. I think most of us know one of the three middle guys will go. Many rather that be profar,...Sorry I'm in the short line here and prefer Kinsler. It's true that I don't and haven't valued for some time Kinsler's game as much as most ranger fans. I reason is more what I think Profar will become and not wanting JD to think twice about moving Elvis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a terrific athlete like Profar, is it a seemless transition in ST to move from SS to 2nd base?

If the need is more power then why not trade Andrus and keep Profar who has more power than Elvis. Elvis is a base runner and good defensive player, but his hitting has probably topped out. Profar eventually will be everything and probably more than Andrus is.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what scotty....I'll give you Kinsler and trade Profar. Elvis doesn't need to be a consideration.

I don't see the Cards as trade partners, certainly nothing like what has been thrown around here. I think JD sees that Texas needs three additions to the everyday players. I think those are catcher, RH hitting power and LH left fielder with pop. I think JD will only land a starter if it falls in his lap. I think he likes his investment in Darvish and the three left handers. I think he's comfortable in thinking it's a back end of the rotation guy if he lands one in trade or FA. Could be wrong but that's what I think. McCann, Nap and Granderson would be my wish list. That costs me 3 first round selections, but I get one back with saying adios to Cruz. At this point I'm looking to move Kinsler and get some team salary relief from signing the big ticket guys mentioned. That could be a starter, but I think it's a reliever with a track record...maybe both. I think it's a win now situation here in Texas and pretty sure JD see's this as well.

This isn't likely but I'd sure like to see it. I think most of us know one of the three middle guys will go. Many rather that be profar,...Sorry I'm in the short line here and prefer Kinsler. It's true that I don't and haven't valued for some time Kinsler's game as much as most ranger fans. I reason is more what I think Profar will become and not wanting JD to think twice about moving Elvis.

as far as what has been thrown around here about a trade with the Cards it is all based on reports found om mlb & other sources.

like i said your solution seems to be to get rid of Kinsler without resolving the power outage issue that would come from his loss. there may come a time when trading Kinsler will happen but just because JD hinted that he would listen to offers does not mean that he is even close to considering the move. logic at this time of the season is find out what other teams are thinking and just how desperate they are to obtain certain players. but it is see if they will make an offer that totally blows your doors off and salary relief isn't going to do that.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the need is more power then why not trade Andrus and keep Profar who has more power than Elvis. Elvis is a base runner and good defensive player, but his hitting has probably topped out. Profar eventually will be everything and probably more than Andrus is.
I don't think either of these guys fall in the power category. Could be wrong.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either of these guys fall in the power category. Could be wrong.

I don't think Profar will be a typical power bat so you're probably right, but if the need is for more pop in the line up then I think Profar offers more than Elvis. The only red flag with Profar may be his RH hitting, but that's based on limited playing time. Elvis is a good player, but I think given time, Profar will be just as good defensively and better with the bat. JMO

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You answered your own question. We lost Napoli, Josh, AJ and now Cruz (currently) in the last 2 years. We lost too many games last year where we could not generate runs. OBP is great, but not if you can't hit w/ RISP. I can't believe anyone would argue that we need more power in this line-up. Who is protecting Beltre right now?

Soto easily replaces AJ's power numbers if playing full time, and Mitch replaced Napoli's power, just not his other attributes

The only guy not being replaced is Hamilton and maybe Cruz, an jury is still out there

hitting with RISP is not the same as power, Mitch has about the same power as Napoli but can't hit for squat with RISP

In the end, you don't lose much of anything on offense swapping Soto for AJP, except maybe a couple singles, but you gain in many other areas

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, maybe a couple options other than Granderson, but I could see us taking a short term flier on him or Cruz, 2-3 years

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soto easily replaces AJ's power numbers if playing full time, and Mitch replaced Napoli's power, just not his other attributes

The only guy not being replaced is Hamilton and maybe Cruz, an jury is still out there

hitting with RISP is not the same as power, Mitch has about the same power as Napoli but can't hit for squat with RISP

In the end, you don't lose much of anything on offense swapping Soto for AJP, except maybe a couple singles, but you gain in many other areas

you are really making a big assumption when you say that given full time playing time that Soto will replace AJ's power numbers, what are you basing this on?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you think of Matt kemp for Andrus? That seems like a crazy proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.