• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. To early to move Profar for Kemp.

Good God no, that would be a horrible idea, maybe Kinsler for Kemp, but not Profar

But with the Dodgers having signed the Cuban kid, its not really a realistic option anymore

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. We could use him. FB and D/H. Yep, he'll do fine.

Agreed, you just have to keep the number of years low, 3 or lower and/or include language protecting the team in case of further major issues with the hip, make years 3 and further on, mutual option years that the team can buy out for 1 million or less, Napoli gets 1 million essentially to handle his medical bills going forward

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BBWAA does not offer a clear-cut definition of what "most valuable" means, instead leaving the judgment to the individual voters.

No wonder it's so easy to argue about.

so what would your definition of most valuable be? mine is the player whose performance outdoes all others.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what would your definition of most valuable be? mine is the player whose performance outdoes all others.

If that was the case it should be called Most Outstanding Player, then you take team performance out of the equation

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what the ballot says.

Dear Voter:
There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.
The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:
1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.
2. Number of games played.
3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.
4. Former winners are eligible.
5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.
You are also urged to give serious consideration to all your selections, from 1 to 10. A 10th-place vote can influence the outcome of an election. You must fill in all 10 places on your ballot. Only regular-season performances are to be taken into consideration.
Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good God no, that would be a horrible idea, maybe Kinsler for Kemp, but not Profar

But with the Dodgers having signed the Cuban kid, its not really a realistic option anymore

The Dodgers were a good match for Kinsler. Wonder if they are a team he vetoed?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a terrific athlete like Profar, is it a seemless transition in ST to move from SS to 2nd base?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a terrific athlete like Profar, is it a seemless transition in ST to move from SS to 2nd base?

Its mostly about technique changes, moving mostly to the right instead of the left and jazz like that, I'd be willing to bet most of his miscues at 2nd last year were a result of lack of reps, he'd be fine there long term

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its mostly about technique changes, moving mostly to the right instead of the left and jazz like that, I'd be willing to bet most of his miscues at 2nd last year were a result of lack of reps, he'd be fine there long term

I'm sure you're correct. And it seems the Rangers think so too or else he'd be getting some time at 2nd in the winter league. But the FO may feel winter ball is a perfect time to showcase his SS talent to see if someone will bowl us over with a trade we can't refuse, with either him or EA. If not, then a move to 2nd might be in the offing, and a move for Kinsler might happen.

Interesting to speculate anyway.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was the case it should be called Most Outstanding Player, then you take team performance out of the equation

seems like to me a few years ago King Felix won the Cy Young even though he pitched for an absolutely awful Mariners team. in my book Trout is the best athlete of the 3 but in the numbers game he falls short of what Cabrera and Davis did. Davis lead the league in Homers and RBI's and Cabrera had another near Triple Crown numbers.

but all 3 were very deserving of being considered the top 3 players in the AL

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a shock based on your posts the last few weeks....you must own both a red & blue #5 jersey.
:suds:

and yours show that you would trade Kinsler for a can of corn with little regard for the effect on the team. i don't believe there was or is any mutual interest between the Dodgers and Rangers

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yours show that you would trade Kinsler for a can of corn with little regard for the effect on the team. i don't believe there was or is any mutual interest between the Dodgers and Rangers

I disagree there. They did talk, but it didn't lead anywhere. I believe JD would take a chance on Kemp if they picked up some of his salary. I don't think he would do it unless some of the FA's don't happen though. He has to add power to this line-up one way or another.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree there. They did talk, but it didn't lead anywhere. I believe JD would take a chance on Kemp if they picked up some of his salary. I don't think he would do it unless some of the FA's don't happen though. He has to add power to this line-up one way or another.

if the trade helped the team i think JD would do it but Kemp doesn't help the team. i think that we will make a trade and one of Kinsler, Andrus and Profar will be part of that trade but i think that you will see either Profar or Andrus as the most likely to be traded.

Jcouch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why is it so necessary to add power to the lineup? The Rangers were 8th in the league in homeruns in 2013 and only 2 behind Boston. We also came in 7th in slugging percentage. More than anything we need guys that can get on base. The Rangers were 30 points lower than Boston in OBP and and 15 points lower in batting average. The More runners they can get on base the more runs they will score. Obviously you have to replace what is being lost with Cruz in power, but other than that they need guys that can get on base.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it so necessary to add power to the lineup? The Rangers were 8th in the league in homeruns in 2013 and only 2 behind Boston. We also came in 7th in slugging percentage. More than anything we need guys that can get on base. The Rangers were 30 points lower than Boston in OBP and and 15 points lower in batting average. The More runners they can get on base the more runs they will score. Obviously you have to replace what is being lost with Cruz in power, but other than that they need guys that can get on base.

You answered your own question. We lost Napoli, Josh, AJ and now Cruz (currently) in the last 2 years. We lost too many games last year where we could not generate runs. OBP is great, but not if you can't hit w/ RISP. I can't believe anyone would argue that we need more power in this line-up. Who is protecting Beltre right now?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the trade helped the team i think JD would do it but Kemp doesn't help the team. i think that we will make a trade and one of Kinsler, Andrus and Profar will be part of that trade but i think that you will see either Profar or Andrus as the most likely to be traded.

If Kemp is healthy, he is an upgrade to any team in baseball. I know "if". Hypothetically, if we were to sign Napoli and McCann, who does that leave in the COF spot? Don't give me Gentry. My point is we might have to acquire the OF spot through a trade. It just depends on how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.