• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K guys someone please tell me the last time derek holland had a good season before 2013? And then what did he do after? Okay. I think perez has got potential like I said. Harrison is coming off missing an entire year besides 2 nightmarish starts with a BACK injury. The back is extremely important when it comes to plane of the ball thrown and tilt on offspeed pitches. Staying tall until follow through also adds velocity. Also, a loose and flexible back lessens the chances of injuries elsewhere on the body. And we don't even know who our 5 is.

Two things.

1) Holland has been around so long people forget how young he was when he started. He's just now getting to what should be his best years. Holland is not a question mark.

2) Harrison's problem (best as I can deduce) has very little to do with stability. We're.not taking about a guy who got a fusion here. He got shut down after his surgery because the muscles in his core and back hadn't had the time to recover and regain their strength. With an entire off-season and spring he should be fine. I'm cautiously optimistic here. I really don't see it being an issue

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K guys someone please tell me the last time derek holland had a good season before 2013? And then what did he do after? Okay. I think perez has got potential like I said. Harrison is coming off missing an entire year besides 2 nightmarish starts with a BACK injury. The back is extremely important when it comes to plane of the ball thrown and tilt on offspeed pitches. Staying tall until follow through also adds velocity. Also, a loose and flexible back lessens the chances of injuries elsewhere on the body. And we don't even know who our 5 is.

Holland pitched very well in 2010 and 2011. He had a down year after, but with the emergence of his changeup last year, I don't think there's any reason to think he'll regress.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitcher does affect the game more than an individual player, but only 1 day out of 5. The position player is more valuable the other 4.

No he's not. This isn't a case where 5 days > 1day. You have to take the contribution in each game into consideration. Case in point, Detroit having scherzer on the mound pretty much equaled a win for Detroit this season. Conversely, having fielder in the lineup doesn't have near the same effect.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek was 10-9. But that could be contributed to a lacking offense.

DT, you know better than to use pitching record in a baseball discussion.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not. This isn't a case where 5 days > 1day. You have to take the contribution in each game into consideration. Case in point, Detroit having scherzer on the mound pretty much equaled a win for Detroit this season. Conversely, having fielder in the lineup doesn't have near the same effect.

I understand both sides of the argument. Fielder contributes every time he fields a ball, takes a walk, or hits a HR while the pitcher is in the dugout.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, his 3.42 era this season was just terrible. :L

Uhhh I was saying it's very good. Hambombs is the one saying he was inconsistent.

Edit: It was a mis-understanding. Terps is the one saying he's been inconsistent.

I know 3.42 is good Romeo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the rotation of darvish,holland,Perez looks really really good. Hopefully Harrison can stay healthy that's my concern, but I question ogando.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT, you know better than to use pitching record in a baseball discussion.
Yes but I also qualified why. " A lacking offense "which effected Yu the same way. I do not have anything against Derek. I think he could be a little more consistant. Nothing more.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the rotation of darvish,holland,Perez looks really really good. Hopefully Harrison can stay healthy that's my concern, but I question ogando.
Adding a Shelby Miller to this rotation would be awesome, and that's an understatement!

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree DT on him just being consistent. I saw the word haters by some others and I guess I did not know we had any Holland haters around. Last year was his best year and he is just 27 so I hope it just keeps getting better.

On the pitcher being more valuable every 5th day than a position player all you have to do is think about Arizona when they had Johnson (21-6) and Schilling (22-6). It was almost a guarantee that they would win 2/5ths of their games. That means the other 3 pitchers/bullpen just needed to win about half of the time and they have a 90 win season. To have a pitcher that you feel very confident will get you a win, stop a losing streak or whatever has a very positive affect on the rest of the team.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are high on catcher Brian McCann, but a few GM's are thinking Texas still has interest in Jacoby Ellsbury, [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]400707824805621760[/MEDIA]"]tweets[/ame] Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.The Rangers have put their pursuit of free agent pitchers Masahiro Tanaka and Matt Garza (as well as top trade target David Price) to the side as they seek out a big bat, writes Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram.

I read we weren't even pursuing Tanaka or Garza but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.