• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In our rotation I see one sure thing, one promising young guy, and then a bunch of uncertainty. Therefore I don't agree with what JD said and I think bringing in a young talented SP like miller or wacha would be great.

Jcouch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In our rotation I see one sure thing, one promising young guy, and then a bunch of uncertainty. Therefore I don't agree with what JD said and I think bringing in a young talented SP like miller or wacha would be great.

How do you propose they go about doing that? Guys like Wacha are untouchable and Shelby Miller package will cost us Elvis Andrus or jurickson Profar. Matt Harrison pitched over 180 inning in 2011 and 2012 with under a 3.40 era pretty solid to me. Derrick Holland has pitched 175 plus inning each of the past 3 years with 212 innings last year and an average ERA of 4.0. Both perfect for 3 and 4 starters. It would be nice to add another pitcher, but like we saw last year with Garza pitchers are very expensive and you never know what you are going to get. It's not easy to go out and just grab a 23 year pitcher locked up through 2018 that had a 3.06 era his rookie season. They don't just grow on trees. Well maybe in St Louis and Tampa, but no where else.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see a annual Cy young candidate, and 3 quality lefties, including Perez who I think will be better than Holland and Harrison.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see things pretty much the same way. Perez is exciting to me and Yu speaks for himself. Derek still has a lot of talent and can be lights out but which night? Every thing else is TBD. Another SP would be nice.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see things pretty much the same way. Perez is exciting to me and Yu speaks for himself. Derek still has a lot of talent and can be lights out but which night? Every thing else is TBD. Another SP would be nice.

Holland was pretty consistent this season lol really?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you propose they go about doing that? Guys like Wacha are untouchable and Shelby Miller package will cost us Elvis Andrus or jurickson Profar. Matt Harrison pitched over 180 inning in 2011 and 2012 with under a 3.40 era pretty solid to me. Derrick Holland has pitched 175 plus inning each of the past 3 years with 212 innings last year and an average ERA of 4.0. Both perfect for 3 and 4 starters. It would be nice to add another pitcher, but like we saw last year with Garza pitchers are very expensive and you never know what you are going to get. It's not easy to go out and just grab a 23 year pitcher locked up through 2018 that had a 3.06 era his rookie season. They don't just grow on trees. Well maybe in St Louis and Tampa, but no where else.
If we lose Andrus or Profar making the team better then so be it but I hope it won't be ELVIS. But adding Miller to our rotation would help the team a great deal. Beyond #'s 1,2,3 the rotation is not certain.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???? You would trade a SS under club control for a pitcher who's a FA in a year that plays every 5 days?

Can we stop pretending that a starting pitcher is somehow less valuable because he plays every fifth day? That pitcher affects each game he pitches far more than any individual player on a given day.

That said, I can't say I'm surprised hambombs likes this idea. :L

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also love Shelby miller on this team. That rotation will be so exciting

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K guys someone please tell me the last time derek holland had a good season before 2013? And then what did he do after? Okay. I think perez has got potential like I said. Harrison is coming off missing an entire year besides 2 nightmarish starts with a BACK injury. The back is extremely important when it comes to plane of the ball thrown and tilt on offspeed pitches. Staying tall until follow through also adds velocity. Also, a loose and flexible back lessens the chances of injuries elsewhere on the body. And we don't even know who our 5 is.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we stop pretending that a staying pitcher is somehow less valuable because he plays every fifth day? That pitcher affects each game he pitches far more than any individual player on a given day.

??? Obviously he has to agree on the extension or no deal

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we stop pretending that a starting pitcher is somehow less valuable because he plays every fifth day? That pitcher affects each game he pitches far more than any individual player on a given day.

The pitcher does affect the game more than an individual player, but only 1 day out of 5. The position player is more valuable the other 4.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, we don't even need alll 3 middle infielders. If we have an opportunity to strengthen our questionable rotation, why in the world would anyone object to that?? I mean I'm almost positive we could get miller if we wanted to. Wacha is a loooong shot, but I think it would be foolish for the cardinals to not at least listen.

People always use the argument "pitchers only pitch once out of every 5 games so they arent as valuable." Well i'm pretty sure that one day that the pitcher pitches is widely important to the outcome of the game itself, no? The pitcher is the most important part of the team. Bar none. You are only as good as your pitching. Hell, the dodgers have greinke kershaw ryu billingsley and have a ton of good prospects coming up, but they are still probably gonna sign this japanese dude. You can NEVER have enough of it.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K guys someone please tell me the last time derek holland had a good season before 2013? And then what did he do after? Okay. I think perez has got potential like I said. Harrison is coming off missing an entire year besides 2 nightmarish starts with a BACK injury. The back is extremely important when it comes to plane of the ball thrown and tilt on offspeed pitches. Staying tall until follow through also adds velocity. Also, a loose and flexible back lessens the chances of injuries elsewhere on the body. And we don't even know who our 5 is.

Holland shuts up all the haters and now they talk down on him for not having more than one season. Ohh he had a good season in 2011 by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.