• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this? Seriously, I don't have a clue why anyone from Pitt who could complain about what he's accomplished there and in a short period of time too.

Tell me what's the rub here?

Most hometown fans have something bad to say about the manager. Hurdle like any manager has done some confusing things. That's how it works. Hell NFL coaches lose one game and fans sign petitions for them to be run out of town.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most hometown fans have something bad to say about the manager. Hurdle like any manager has done some confusing things. That's how it works. Hell NFL coaches lose one game and fans sign petitions for them to be run out of town.

Rev.....this team went what, 2 decades? without having a winning record, and this guy takes em to the playoffs. Hell, I'd vote for him if he ran for mayor.

He also took the Rockies to the the WS if memory serves.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rev.....this team went what, 2 decades? without having a winning record, and this guy takes em to the playoffs. Hell, I'd vote for him if he ran for mayor.

Yeah, and I've heard Pirates fans bitch about him. Wash took the Rangers to two WS, and guess what? He gets bitched about.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I've heard Pirates fans bitch about him. Wash took the Rangers to two WS, and guess what? He gets bitched about.

Gzee....when you put it like that, it sounds awful.

But again, TWO decades without a winning season and now this guy takes them to the PO. He's been there how many years? I can look it up, but I'm not. My guess would be 3.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They did go to WS and was swept by Boston.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Charlie Wilmoth [November 12 at 6:52pm CST]
The Rangers could become serious contenders for Carlos Beltran's services, writes Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. The Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Royals and Mariners have also been mentioned in whispers about Beltran, but rumors about Beltran and the Rangers really seem to be gathering steam. The Rangers can use the help in their outfield and/or at their DH position, particularly if Nelson Cruz ends up leaving.

It appears we aren't going after Tanaka, which is good IMO

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Charlie Wilmoth [November 12 at 6:52pm CST]
The Rangers could become serious contenders for Carlos Beltran's services, writes Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. The Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Royals and Mariners have also been mentioned in whispers about Beltran, but rumors about Beltran and the Rangers really seem to be gathering steam. The Rangers can use the help in their outfield and/or at their DH position, particularly if Nelson Cruz ends up leaving.

It appears we aren't going after Tanaka, which is good IMO
Could this be an attempt to pressure Cruz to sign? Just a thought.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did go to WS and was swept by Boston.

My point is he's taken two struggling franchises out of the losing mind-set, and too the next level. Impressive, to me anyway.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not off the wall. But to me, I think we want both; need both really.
Rather spend on Cruz and seek a good left fielder. Just don't want more old players that will need to be replaced shortly.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is he's taken two struggling franchises out of the losing mind-set, and too the next level. Impressive, to me anyway.

I was actually in agreement up above that comment. I have family in Denver and they ran Hurdle out on a rail. The players quit responding to him. I liked him as a manager. But would love to have him back as our hitting coach.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather spend on Cruz and seek a good left fielder. Just don't want more old players that will need to be replaced shortly.

I do agree.

I meant to say we need Cruz and the production which Beltran has given. Not the player himself necessarily.
I'm with ya on the age factor though.

Don't know what JD was thinking in the Lance signing. Swear, it reminded me of something JJ would do over across the street. Ya know, "I'm gonna pull something no one else thought about" kind of moves. Honestly, signing Berkman made no sense then or now.

Good night guys....early morning coming for me.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agree with donaldson ... PIT goes to the post season for the first time in a thousand years. They played way above their talent and got to the post season ... that's called managing.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had enough of older players as Berkman. Let the Yanks have him. Next year we would be looking again. Try to sign Cruz and a left fielder.

you do realize that Cruz is only 3 years younger than 36-year-old Beltran

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers will not pursue Masahiro Tanaka or Matt Garza this offseason, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]400411503708213248[/MEDIA]"]tweets[/ame]. "We’re not right now looking to give out a big multiyear deal for a starter," says GM Jon Daniels. Starting pitcher Matt Harrison, who missed most of the 2013 season due to injury, tells Wilson he "feel good" about returning to the Rangers' rotation in 2014. If he's healthy, the Rangers don't have a pronounced need for a starting pitcher, with Harrison, Yu Darvish, Derek Holland, Martin Perez, Alexi Ogando and Nick Tepesch all in the fold.

I do not mind not going after Garza but Tanaka I would pursue. You look at what JD listed and there are holes here. We have to hope Harrison is back in form. Holland is a roller coaster. Ogando will not last as a starter and Tepesch is still a WIP.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you do realize that Cruz is only 3 years younger than 36-year-old Beltran
Probably going to be cheaper than Beltran and 3 yrs younger. Sounds better to me.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not mind not going after Garza but Tanaka I would pursue. You look at what JD listed and there are holes here. We have to hope Harrison is back in form. Holland is a roller coaster. Ogando will not last as a starter and Tepesch is still a WIP.

Eh, I dont mind not going after either one of those guys. Tanaka is not Darvish, but he would cost more to get than Darvish and based on history of pitchers coming over from Japan, Darvish has been the exception not the rule. They are not going to go on a spending frenzy and there are bigger holes to fill other than the rotation. If we can get Harrison back, it would be like signing a pitcher and if he is back in form with the rest of the rotation then I think we are in good shape there.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers will not pursue Masahiro Tanaka or Matt Garza this offseason, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram tweets. "We’re not right now looking to give out a big multiyear deal for a starter," says GM Jon Daniels. Starting pitcher Matt Harrison, who missed most of the 2013 season due to injury, tells Wilson he "feel good" about returning to the Rangers' rotation in 2014. If he's healthy, the Rangers don't have a pronounced need for a starting pitcher, with Harrison, Yu Darvish, Derek Holland, Martin Perez, Alexi Ogando and Nick Tepesch all in the fold.

I see 4 starters and a hole. Ogando has already been spotted to the bullpen Tepesche is as you said a WIP. Lewis is a last resort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.