• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Losing Hamilton upped the baseball IQ on the team quite a bit. I know people give Kinsler shit for doing weird things, but he's a lot more baseball savvy than he is given credit for IMO. I think the only guys on the 40 man last year that weren't quite up to snuff in that dept were Nelly and Engel Beltre. Also Profar is still really young, but he seems to be learning well. AJ IMO was just lazy, but I think he's a lot smarter than he seems. So yeah me rambling.

AJ may be a lot of things, but I don't think he's dumb. lazy, JFC...drove me bonkers

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think EA opens up the possibility of a bigger trade. IMO Profar simply brings Miller to the table (which on its own is great), but EA brings more than Miller...that's where we can get the bat. But I would think we would also have to bring more to the table, but maybe only prospect(s)?

MLB Radio this evening (bowden) is convinced that Cards GM is targeting Profar....

well, that's not bad news. "convinced" I wonder if he went that far? That's pretty bold

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vacuum, yes. But when you consider the cost of tulo it's not hard to understand what might make profar a more attractive option.

What would JD do if he were presented the same situation, I'm fairly certain he'd be after Profar...for the reason you just mentioned
they can afford Tulo, but he's not exactly "young controllable SS" they claimed they wanted... more like youngish extremely expensive SS. I grant he's a beast when healthy.

it appears there is actually smoke here, I really don't want to part with EA

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Tulo but health is an issue. I have family in Colorado and while he is a great player there was a time they made a statement that the Rockies were Tulo's team and not Helton's and it did not go well.

I remember something like that floating around...

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read on Yahoo, 5 guys from the AP gave their opinions on where some of the FA would go, and this is what they said: (1) Two thought Cruz would stay here for 3/4 years and around $45 mil (2) Two thought McCann would sign with us for 5 @ $80 mil and (3) Two think Santana comes here for 5 @ $70.

It's just 5 guys opinions but I thought it was at least interesting. Make of it what you will.

I don't know if JD goes that high on Cruz, maybe 3 around 11? I do want to re-sign him
I think McCann is going to get more than 80, but happy to hear...whoever they are thinks he lands here.

No idea about Santana

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Sir....that works for me as well.

Yeah...shame he's not the healthy 40 homer a year Grandyman anymore. His bat would play well at RBiA though. Even if the jet stream is down, he can yank RHP out of there.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Hart anybody? If we're looking for an option at first he may be a good one. Imagine the return we could get on a trade if it was Mitch and Profar/Andrus? I think wacha or someone of that nature HAS to be in the conversation for that load. Our infield would be stacked

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... he'd be much better than mitch I guess... if we could sign him for 2 years just to stall then I think it would be a solid option. He's averaging around 30 homers a year of late and is hitting for an okay average. If we could do 2 years at 15 or 16 I think its worth a shot just so we could then package away mitch with a MIF

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't had time to keep up with this thread so this might have all been talked about already, but first I read this morning. Carlos Ruiz is in our crosshairs and Robbie Ross is being looked at as a starter.

About Ross, he doesn't appear to have the longevity to do that, but maybe more rest between longer starts is what he needs. I'd like to see him in the long relief role one year before jumping to starter. I think if they are stretching him out, that takes us out of the market for a starter unless it is a no-brainer #1 like Price.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone was thinking about re-signing Marlon Byrd you can forget it. he just signed with the Phillies

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't had time to keep up with this thread so this might have all been talked about already, but first I read this morning. Carlos Ruiz is in our crosshairs and Robbie Ross is being looked at as a starter.

About Ross, he doesn't appear to have the longevity to do that, but maybe more rest between longer starts is what he needs. I'd like to see him in the long relief role one year before jumping to starter. I think if they are stretching him out, that takes us out of the market for a starter unless it is a no-brainer #1 like Price.

Ruiz and Dioner Navarro have been mentioned as possible backup, split time options with Soto

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome news! Bengie Molina hired to be first base coach and catching instructor.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome news! Bengie Molina hired to be first base coach and catching instructor.

beat me to it

The Texas Rangers announced today the hiring of former catcher Bengie Molina as first base coach and catching instructor. The team also promoted Triple-A Round Rock Manager Bobby Jones to assistant hitting coach to complete the 2014 coaching staff.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am having a hard time myself seeing Ross as a starter. He just seems to wear down easy and not sure if he really has starter's stuff once facing the lineup a 2nd or 3rd time.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beat me to it

The Texas Rangers announced today the hiring of former catcher Bengie Molina as first base coach and catching instructor. The team also promoted Triple-A Round Rock Manager Bobby Jones to assistant hitting coach to complete the 2014 coaching staff.

I like the shape of the supporting coaching staff. Hopefully it works out for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.