• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do kinda support that though... trading kinsler to dump his salary, signing mccann, cruz, and beltran (perhaps cruz or beltran can play 1st?). Plus whoever we get from the ian trade. Think about our lineup with Beltre Cruz Mccann Beltran and Rios in it every night? Jeez. But I guess a man can dream.

Truth is we don't have the $$$ or the attractiveness to sign all those guys right now. I mean, if McCann had to choose between us and the Sox, obviously he'd choose them because he fits in better PLUS they're the better team. We're going to have trouble signing a big name this winter. I don't know if we will. I truthfully think that our biggest impact this offseason will come off a trade. All signs are pointing to it. I feel like its inevitable

I'm gonna have to disagree with ya, at least some. If I were a catcher, and I see Darvish, Holland, Perez, Ogando, hopefully Harrison & Lewis, I'd think that's a bunch of nice arms, even without the hopefuls.

But Boston seems to be the spot where everyone wants to be these days.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do kinda support that though... trading kinsler to dump his salary, signing mccann, cruz, and beltran (perhaps cruz or beltran can play 1st?). Plus whoever we get from the ian trade. Think about our lineup with Beltre Cruz Mccann Beltran and Rios in it every night? Jeez. But I guess a man can dream.

Truth is we don't have the $$$ or the attractiveness to sign all those guys right now. I mean, if McCann had to choose between us and the Sox, obviously he'd choose them because he fits in better PLUS they're the better team. We're going to have trouble signing a big name this winter. I don't know if we will. I truthfully think that our biggest impact this offseason will come off a trade. All signs are pointing to it. I feel like its inevitable

why is everyone so convinced that we don't have the $$$ or the attractiveness all of a sudden?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so do we continue to carry him just so we don't get roasted for letting him go
No! Who's to know he will ever be better? Davis is the exception not the Rule. Look what happened to Hamilton going to LAA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I don't think he has that much value in a trade. He would add depth to a trade and that's about it. He's still controllable and cheap and has decent pop. No FO should ever hold on to guys out of fear of them being good.

No and I wasn't suggest this. But for me, 1st base is not my major concern. Corner OF, and catching are. I wouldn't be opposed to giving Mitch one last chance to earn the job long term. He's cheap, young enough, and we've seen his upside and this still exists.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Sox the better team? They cannot keep all their FAs. Napoli, Salty, and Jacoby are a huge chunk of their production.

Its Boston. They always figure out some way to win. I bet they sign at least one of those guys back. Still though, we can't really talk about producing runs because it looks like its gonna take some type of offseason miracle to legitmately put together a solid offensive team. We were morbid last year, and its not even guaranteed that we get our 3 hole back. Plus, if we trade ian we lose one of our spark plugs. Think about it guys. Losing Ian and Cruz but signing McCann... is that necessarily making our team better?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No! Who's to know he will ever be better? Davis is the exception not the Rule. Look what happened to Hamilton going to LAA.

We gave Gonzalez away. I think he was 5th in RBI in the NL this year. Davis led the AL. I just think it would be tragically ironic if we gave up on Moreland and he too shined somewhere other than here. That's all I was saying; or at least was trying to say. I'm making no predictions on this.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its Boston. They always figure out some way to win. I bet they sign at least one of those guys back. Still though, we can't really talk about producing runs because it looks like its gonna take some type of offseason miracle to legitmately put together a solid offensive team. We were morbid last year, and its not even guaranteed that we get our 3 hole back. Plus, if we trade ian we lose one of our spark plugs. Think about it guys. Losing Ian and Cruz but signing McCann... is that necessarily making our team better?

I don't think Texas trades Ian unless they can replace him. Trading him to dump salary accomplishes little, because they will have to find another bat anyway.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well see I think that people have been saying that Profar could replace him offensively, which is absurd to me because he hasn't played a full big league season yet. And then with the money we could go out and sign 2 guys plus see the investment of players we get in return for ian. But either way, I think all signs indicate that we're trading one of our 3 MIF's this offseason.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Losing Ian/Cruz to gain McCann certainly is a loss in the RBI department. But catching, is the most important daily position there is. Profar at 2nd would probably not be as big a loss from driving in runs as we think, and he's certainly save a few runs with his "consistent" defense.

I really don't see us letting Cruz go, and do keep in mind, he really wants to stay here. He loves it here.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Ian/Cruz to gain McCann certainly is a loss in the RBI department. But catching, is the most important daily position there is. Profar at 2nd would probably not be as big a loss from driving in runs as we think, and he's certainly save a few runs with his "consistent" defense.

I really don't see us letting Cruz go, and do keep in mind, he really wants to stay here. He loves it here.

why would we lose Ian & Cruz just to sign McCann?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would we lose Ian & Cruz just to sign McCann?

I was responding to a previous post. I suggested nothing.

The previous post was by terps.....he asked if losing Ian and Cruz, yet adding McCann would make us better.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was responding to a previous post. I suggested nothing.

The previous post was by terps.....he asked if losing Ian and Cruz, yet adding McCann would make us better.

okay sorry. and the answer is the team would be worse

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then think about it. How is this team going to get better with the same, if not lower budget? There really isn't a feasible way unless you trade ian or elvis. Trading profar would be nice, but we'd still have the issue of a very small budget. There simply is not a way to compete unless we have players have breakout years. Our pitching staff is a HUGE ? behind Darvish. Holland hasn't had two straight good years yet, perez is very promising, but young, and the rest are rehabbing.

What I'm trying to say is, trading ian or elvis seems inevitable if we want to put a great club on the field. Maybe we can get financial flexibility PLUS a good SP for one of them. Then we can use the money to help sign McCann and Cruz.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then think about it. How is this team going to get better with the same, if not lower budget? There really isn't a feasible way unless you trade ian or elvis. Trading profar would be nice, but we'd still have the issue of a very small budget. There simply is not a way to compete unless we have players have breakout years. Our pitching staff is a HUGE ? behind Darvish. Holland hasn't had two straight good years yet, perez is very promising, but young, and the rest are rehabbing.

What I'm trying to say is, trading ian or elvis seems inevitable if we want to put a great club on the field. Maybe we can get financial flexibility PLUS a good SP for one of them. Then we can use the money to help sign McCann and Cruz.

Elvis is making 6.725 MM next year. He's not being traded. It's honestly either Kinsler or Profar.

And Texas had a set rotation for the foreseeable future. They have 1-4 locked up for a while. Harrison will be back next year and be just fine. If they make a move for another starter, then the rotation will be even that much better than it already is.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis is making 6.725 MM next year. He's not being traded. It's honestly either Kinsler or Profar.

Kinsler will earn 16M next year name a team that will eat all of that. Profar is the one who could bring us Miller +

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler will earn 16M next year name a team that will eat all of that. Profar is the one who could bring us Miller +

Any team that loses out on Robinson Cano. There will be teams with money to spend that don't get Cano. He's a cheaper option.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison is gonna be just fine after sitting out an entire season? I don't agree with this. I've seen the opposite to often. I'm all for seeing the "half full" side of things but I consider everyone on the staff except yu a question mark. Holland has to put 2 good seasons in a row, cuz the last time he had a good season the following year he was awful. I think as a GM you always have to have that "prepare for the worst" mentality. That way nothing catches you off guard. Things like harry getting hurt or just being plain bad would be one of those things.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team that loses out on Robinson Cano. There will be teams with money to spend that don't get Cano. He's a cheaper option.

the only team really tied to Cano is the Yankees. they have nothing to offer unless the Rangers want nothing to return which knowing JD is the furthest thing from his mind. would he consider trading one of our MIF'ers? YES but only if he is going to get quality back in return

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison is gonna be just fine after sitting out an entire season? I don't agree with this. I've seen the opposite to often. I'm all for seeing the "half full" side of things but I consider everyone on the staff except yu a question mark. Holland has to put 2 good seasons in a row, cuz the last time he had a good season the following year he was awful. I think as a GM you always have to have that "prepare for the worst" mentality. That way nothing catches you off guard. Things like harry getting hurt or just being plain bad would be one of those things.

I completely disagree with that mindset. I get why you are being overly pessimistic and it's very pragmatic, but I just don't see it the same way. Texas pitching staff is in great shape moving forward. It's the offense that needs the attention. Trading Profar+ for Miller+ is still a smart trade though.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a GM I think you HAVE to have a half empty mindset, no? Look at last year... and the year before that. You have to make the team better than you think they will be. Anything can happen over the course of a season. Colby missed all of last year, harry did, cruz got suspended, and basically shit hit the fan. I like the trade for miller, but where do we get the rest of the money we need to improve our offense? Matt Adams is not the answer I can assure people that. What trading profar would accomplish is basically nothing on the offensive side.

Status
Not open for further replies.