• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we do trade one of our MIF'ers but i think the odds are a lot higher that it will be Profar than either Andrus or Kinsler. and i think that if we get Miller it will be because we used Profar to get it done. and i agree that the catching is the most important spect but offense makes the pitcher's job easier.

How many games did our pitchers get little or no support?

in answer to my question: i counted at least 10 games where our offense made no appearance and 4 of those were with Darvish, each a 1-0 Darvish loss

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all about signing Brian McCann. Catchers with career wRC+s of 117 that play great defense do not grow on trees. Dude would be a king in Texas.

I'm absolutely about signing him. And while his bat is exceptional for a catcher, I don't think he'd bring what Hamilton used to bring to the middle of the order. I want him, and I'd be willing to pay for him, but even if we sign him and Cruz, we probably still need another bat. Maybe Beltran on a 2 year deal

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know that over a 162 game season, McCann averages .277 and 97 RBI? I didn't, and THAT'S impressive. Plus, plus he's a very good signal caller, leader in the clubhouse.

Maybe I should rethink on how much we offer this guy.

I know how you feel donaldson. It is easy to go back and forth on stuff. But I think more and more of us are realizing as time goes on that we need Cruz just as you have. We can't keep thinking it is okay to let our own players walk. And if we could get McCann and deal for Miller and Boog Powell (kidding) then that would be great.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm absolutely about signing him. And while his bat is exceptional for a catcher, I don't think he'd bring what Hamilton used to bring to the middle of the order. I want him, and I'd be willing to pay for him, but even if we sign him and Cruz, we probably still need another bat. Maybe Beltran on a 2 year deal

i could live with that

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann's career OPS is .823 and Cruz is .822. Cruz out performed his career average last year and McCann under performed, but I believe both guys could be .800+ OPS guys in Texas next year. The lineup needs that over AJP kind of PAs.

And there isn't a bat out there in FA that can compare to what Hamilton did as a Ranger.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely need another bat. Beltre, as good as he is, can only do so much and can he remain healthy?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann's career OPS is .823 and Cruz is .822. Cruz out performed his career average last year and McCann under performed, but I believe both guys could be .800+ OPS guys in Texas next year. The lineup needs that over AJP kind of PAs.

And there isn't a bat out there in FA that can compare to what Hamilton did as a Ranger.

not looking for one bat to replace Hamilton, i'm looking for at least 3 bats.McCann, Cruz & Beltan would do nicely

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not looking for one bat to replace Hamilton, i'm looking for at least 3 bats.McCann, Cruz & Beltan would do nicely

Well I can nearly promise you that it won't happen. That would be more money than they can or want to spend.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would think either Adams or a couple of prospects

If it's Miller & Adams, then the trade will be much larger than just Profar, IMO.

From what I'm seeing, it seems JD doesn't want to gut the minors, so who knows.

But if we get Adams, wouldn't it be something terrible, and be an indictment on us, if Moreland went on to play very well for someone else.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's Miller & Adams, then the trade will be much larger than just Profar, IMO.

From what I'm seeing, it seems JD doesn't want to gut the minors, so who knows.

But if we get Adams, wouldn't it be something terrible, and be an indictment on us, if Moreland went on to play very well for someone else.

it happens to all teams. some players just struggle with one team and succeed with another

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I can nearly promise you that it won't happen. That would be more money than they can or want to spend.

I don't see Beltran coming here, and for me, I don't want him. He'll either be a Red Sox or Yankee. He's too old for what we're looking for I think. And you're right about the money.

Again, one mega trade and all this free agency chat takes a huge hike.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do kinda support that though... trading kinsler to dump his salary, signing mccann, cruz, and beltran (perhaps cruz or beltran can play 1st?). Plus whoever we get from the ian trade. Think about our lineup with Beltre Cruz Mccann Beltran and Rios in it every night? Jeez. But I guess a man can dream.

Truth is we don't have the $$$ or the attractiveness to sign all those guys right now. I mean, if McCann had to choose between us and the Sox, obviously he'd choose them because he fits in better PLUS they're the better team. We're going to have trouble signing a big name this winter. I don't know if we will. I truthfully think that our biggest impact this offseason will come off a trade. All signs are pointing to it. I feel like its inevitable

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it happens to all teams. some players just struggle with one team and succeed with another

But this would mean we've fail TWICE miserably on Gonzalez and Davis. Then whatever Moreland puts up, would be another nail.

The national media would absolutely roast our asses and justifiable so. Frankly, I don't know how I'd try to defend this to my buddies up there in St Louis south (Memphis).

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do kinda support that though... trading kinsler to dump his salary, signing mccann, cruz, and beltran (perhaps cruz or beltran can play 1st?). Plus whoever we get from the ian trade. Think about our lineup with Beltre Cruz Mccann Beltran and Rios in it every night? Jeez. But I guess a man can dream.

Truth is we don't have the $$$ or the attractiveness to sign all those guys right now. I mean, if McCann had to choose between us and the Sox, obviously he'd choose them because he fits in better PLUS they're the better team. We're going to have trouble signing a big name this winter. I don't know if we will. I truthfully think that our biggest impact this offseason will come off a trade. All signs are pointing to it. I feel like its inevitable

Are the Sox the better team? They cannot keep all their FAs. Napoli, Salty, and Jacoby are a huge chunk of their production.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this would mean we've fail TWICE miserably on Gonzalez and Davis. Then whatever Moreland puts up, would be another nail.

The national media would absolutely roast our asses and justifiable so. Frankly, I don't know how I'd try to defend this to my buddies up there in St Louis south (Memphis).

so do we continue to carry him just so we don't get roasted for letting him go

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so do we continue to carry him just so we don't get roasted for letting him go

No, but I don't think he has that much value in a trade. He would add depth to a trade and that's about it. He's still controllable and cheap and has decent pop. No FO should ever hold on to guys out of fear of them being good.

Status
Not open for further replies.