• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will be a no

Can't imagine he won't get a two year offer from someone. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it came from us. My fear is a lone wolf will offer him 3 years and it becomes a no-brainer for us or him. He's gone.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine he won't get a two year offer from someone. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it came from us. My fear is a lone wolf will offer him 3 years and it becomes a no-brainer for us or him. He's gone.

I don't see a problem with offering Cruz a 3 year contract.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a problem with offering Cruz a 3 year contract.

My desired line would be 2 years. And it seems most "talking heads" are leaning either with a 2 or even a one year deal. But I'd make him a solid 2 year offer, and perhaps an solid option for the 3rd year.

Truth be told, we've got to find some RBIs out there from somebody, and you may be right, in that we'll have to offer 3 decent years to Cruz. And we're still a bat away.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My desired line would be 2 years. And it seems most "talking heads" are leaning either with a 2 or even a one year deal. But I'd make him a solid 2 year offer, and perhaps an solid option for the 3rd year.

Truth be told, we've got to find some RBIs out there from somebody, and you may be right, in that we'll have to offer 3 decent years to Cruz. And we're still a bat away.

That's exactly right, even if we sign Cruz we still need a solid bat, and even if we sign McCann I'm not really sure he's that bat.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two or three doesn't matter. We need him back! At this point he is our best bet IMO. Beyond Cruz we do not know what we may or not get. It's easy to imagine what we would like to have but the real world doesn't work that way. Lots of big names out there and big competition too. Lock down Cruz JD and go from there. OK say it. Shut up DT and sit down.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two or three doesn't matter. We need him back! At this point he is our best bet IMO. Beyond Cruz we do not know what we may or not get. It's easy to imagine what we would like to have but the real world doesn't work that way. Lots of big names out there and big competition too. Lock down Cruz JD and go from there. OK say it. Shut up DT and sit down.

:agree: since there are hardly any free agent power bats out there, we do need to sign him. Looks like it will take a three year deal though.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly right, even if we sign Cruz we still need a solid bat, and even if we sign McCann I'm not really sure he's that bat.

I'm not enamored with McCann to the point of outbidding some other team for his services.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No "shut-up and sit down" necessary. You've made a very solid point.

What, at least to me, is the rub is, we don't know what JD has working on trade fronts. But regardless, I think there's a place for Cruz on our club. He could play LF, back-up right, lots of DH.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not enamored with McCann to the point of outbidding some other team for his services.

Ya know I agree. I really like McCann and see his value. But I wouldn't go overboard on signing him.

I'm still not opposed to signing Ruiz. Good catcher to go along with a good catching Soto. Now this may depend on what we've got in mind for our 5th pitching spot.

And I was disappointed in the lack of optimism toward Harrison making his return. It's probably prudent to be cautious at this point, but I'm counting on him making it all the way back.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking we may pick up one via trades. Hopefully two since FA's are probably going high. I want McCann defensively but if he gives us another power bat fine. Still early yet so why am I concerning myself with the uncertainty of things?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all about signing Brian McCann. Catchers with career wRC+s of 117 that play great defense do not grow on trees. Dude would be a king in Texas.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking we may pick up one via trades. Hopefully two since FA's are probably going high. I want McCann defensively but if he gives us another power bat fine. Still early yet so why am I concerning myself with the uncertainty of things?

It seems pretty evident that the Rangers are going to trade one of our MI; or is that MIF? (joke intended)
And if this happens, it may bring all of our questions into better focus. Example: What if we get Miller from St Louis, which has been strongly rumored. Then the catching aspect becomes more important, and the need for lots of RBIs less.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No "shut-up and sit down" necessary. You've made a very solid point.

What, at least to me, is the rub is, we don't know what JD has working on trade fronts. But regardless, I think there's a place for Cruz on our club. He could play LF, back-up right, lots of DH.
No doubt we need him. Beltre is all we have now and that makes Cruz a priority. After that who knows what JD has going. If only Mitch and Kins could find that stroke again. Not likely.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all about signing Brian McCann. Catchers with career wRC+s of 117 that play great defense do not grow on trees. Dude would be a king in Texas.

Did you know that over a 162 game season, McCann averages .277 and 97 RBI? I didn't, and THAT'S impressive. Plus, plus he's a very good signal caller, leader in the clubhouse.

Maybe I should rethink on how much we offer this guy.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know that over a 162 game season, McCann averages .277 and 97 RBI? I didn't, and THAT'S impressive. Plus, plus he's a very good signal caller, leader in the clubhouse.

Maybe I should rethink on how much we offer this guy.

He also has a career OBP of .350 with a 9.5% walk rate. Career OPS of .823 and people are wondering about his offense? C'mon yall. He's a legit bat.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt we need him. Beltre is all we have now and that makes Cruz a priority. After that who knows what JD has going. If only Mitch and Kins could find that stroke again. Not likely.

And I'm tellin ya, we cannot continue to hitch our wagon to Beltre year after year. He's been a trooper for the better part of 2 decades. But he's wearing down, and Washington has not put his foot down and MADE him take time off.

Mitch is a anomaly of life to me. He started off awful last season, then became the guy we always thought we'd have for about 30 games. Gets hurt and looks like a AA player for the rest of the season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also has a career OBP of .350 with a 9.5% walk rate. Career OPS of .823 and people are wondering about his offense? C'mon yall. He's a legit bat.
Not at all opposed if we can get him better yet and one more to boot. Still like the Miller/ Adams thought to go along.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems pretty evident that the Rangers are going to trade one of our MI; or is that MIF? (joke intended)
And if this happens, it may bring all of our questions into better focus. Example: What if we get Miller from St Louis, which has been strongly rumored. Then the catching aspect becomes more important, and the need for lots of RBIs less.

i think we do trade one of our MIF'ers but i think the odds are a lot higher that it will be Profar than either Andrus or Kinsler. and i think that if we get Miller it will be because we used Profar to get it done. and i agree that the catching is the most important spect but offense makes the pitcher's job easier.

How many games did our pitchers get little or no support?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we do trade one of our MIF'ers but i think the odds are a lot higher that it will be Profar than either Andrus or Kinsler. and i think that if we get Miller it will be because we used Profar to get it done. and i agree that the catching is the most important spect but offense makes the pitcher's job easier.

How many games did our pitchers get little or no support?
Agree Scottie. The Cards want a short stop and Profar fits the bill. Question is what are they willing to give with Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.