• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouting reports say his control is better, but his stuff is.nowhere near Darvish's. Of course, nobody's stiff is anywhere near Darvish's.

he must have fairly good stuff to go 24-0 with a 1.3 something ERA

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouting reports say his control is better, but his stuff is.nowhere near Darvish's. Of course, nobody's stiff is anywhere near Darvish's.

I've read that he's getting comparisons to Kuroda bc of his splitter, and probably bc they're both Japanese

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD has been getting calling from several teams about Moreland, does that mean that JD wants to trade Moreland?

not in my book, just that JD like any GM is willing to listen to offers but it doesn't mean he wants to move any one

Really don't want to see Mitch back at first. But it looks and sounds like he is going to be back.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't want to see Mitch back at first. But it looks and sounds like he is going to be back.
I think it's possible he won't be back. We may see a trade or two bringing in a bigger bat. 1st is one of the critical areas we're trying to fill . Sounds like that is in the wind with the Cards. Hate to see a guy like Mitch go but he has had a chance and just didn't pan out with the bat.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bid money doesn't count, just his actual contract

Thanks jta. Then I really would like for us to go for it as it still allows us to have trade pieces in place.

Jcouch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Luna where did you hear/read that 1st base was a critical area the Rangers are trying to fill? Everything I have been hearing sounds the opposite. I understand Mitch had a tough year in 2013, but is he really that horrible? I think Mitch has shown a lot of flashes and stretches of baseball that display how good he can be. While healthy he is a 20+ hr 1st baseman that has shown he can hit .260-.275. He is in his first year of arbitration allowing the rangers to use more money on Signing a LF, catcher/DH. Mitch is not going to be Chris Davis and carry the offense, but I do think he can be a solid contributor and even though he struggled in 2013 he has shown that he can be successful in MLB. I might be a shade on the optimistic side and I do agree it was frustrating to watch Mitch at the plate this year, but why give up on him now?

If the rangers are able to sign a player like McCann to DH/catch he could slide into first against lefties. I don't see any reason to give up on Mitch and watch him reach his full potential elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents. Have a great weekend!!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Luna where did you hear/read that 1st base was a critical area the Rangers are trying to fill? Everything I have been hearing sounds the opposite. I understand Mitch had a tough year in 2013, but is he really that horrible? I think Mitch has shown a lot of flashes and stretches of baseball that display how good he can be. While healthy he is a 20+ hr 1st baseman that has shown he can hit .260-.275. He is in his first year of arbitration allowing the rangers to use more money on Signing a LF, catcher/DH. Mitch is not going to be Chris Davis and carry the offense, but I do think he can be a solid contributor and even though he struggled in 2013 he has shown that he can be successful in MLB. I might be a shade on the optimistic side and I do agree it was frustrating to watch Mitch at the plate this year, but why give up on him now?

If the rangers are able to sign a player like McCann to DH/catch he could slide into first against lefties. I don't see any reason to give up on Mitch and watch him reach his full potential elsewhere.

DH,C,LF AND 1B are the areas needed to improve our offense with power bats. Critical may be strong concerning any of these positions but I'm not the only one here that doesn't want Mitch to return. He has not developed the way they had hoped he would. By the way, welcome to the board.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can understand some of your points but Mitch is not clutch. Plus he has not had a WAR above 1.0 yet. He will get on a roll then gets hurt and after that never gets it going again. Need a guy who can come up with big hits with men on base and get hot for more than 4 weeks or so a season. Too many of his RBIs seem to come when a game is out of reach one way or another. I really thought this would be the year. I was wrong. If he stays I hope he can be more of a contributor.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand some of your points but Mitch is not clutch. Plus he has not had a WAR above 1.0 yet. He will get on a roll then gets hurt and after that never gets it going again. Need a guy who can come up with big hits with men on base and get hot for more than 4 weeks or so a season. Too many of his RBIs seem to come when a game is out of reach one way or another. I really thought this would be the year. I was wrong. If he stays I hope he can be more of a contributor.
Agree. If d/h c or lf works out we could get by with Mitch but that's a big if and we certainly don't know how any of these positions will work out making 1stb a needed change.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't believe everything you hear on WEEI?

I don't believe everything I hear, but I think McCann along with a lot of other players would like to play for Boston right now. I don't even know if JD will be in on McCann when it goes over 75 million. The fact that the Yankees and Red Sox are the main competition right makes me think McCann will sign elsewhere.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe everything I hear, but I think McCann along with a lot of other players would like to play for Boston right now. I don't even know if JD will be in on McCann when it goes over 75 million. The fact that the Yankees and Red Sox are the main competition right makes me think McCann will sign elsewhere.
I kind of think you're right. I'm still liking Rev's idea of trading with the Cards and of course resigning Cruz.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is a new crop of catching Molina's when you need them?

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of think you're right. I'm still liking Rev's idea of trading with the Cards and of course resigning Cruz.

I wonder if Cruz could be serviceable at 1st base? I thought Tex should have given him a 1B mitt during that 50 game suspension

Jcouch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what positions should be upgraded for offense, but I guess we have different opinions on what is necessary to be filled. I'm not a huge fan of overpaying/over selling prospects for a position that can improve in house. If not Mitch Moreland this year then maybe Nicholas next year. I don't believe in wasting a player with Morelands power that is so cheap, when we have other holes in the line up that must be filled.

I suppose we will agree to disagree and hopefully Jon Daniels make some things happen and settles the discussion for us!!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Cruz could be serviceable at 1st base? I thought Tex should have given him a 1B mitt during that 50 game suspension
Don't know but seriously doubt it at this level unless he had playing time earlier on in his younger yrs.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know but seriously doubt it at this level unless he had playing time earlier on in his younger yrs.

Good point, considering he's not very good at the position he's played his entire life

Status
Not open for further replies.