• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a 'bro' spin on Poseidon and ocean

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...well...
From July 9th til now...glad I remembered my username and password :)

Hope everyone is doing good...

Ready for the hot stove season!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just did some reading about Napoli's hip condition. It's called avascular necrosis. Here is a little breakdown of what that means.

Avascular necrosis is the death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply. Also called osteonecrosis, avascular necrosis can lead to tiny breaks in the bone and the bone's eventual collapse.
The blood flow to a section of bone can be interrupted if the bone is fractured or the joint becomes dislocated. Avascular necrosis of bone is also associated with long-term use of high-dose steroid medications and excessive alcohol intake.
The hip is the joint most commonly affected by avascular necrosis. While avascular necrosis of bone can happen to anyone, it usually occurs in men between the ages of 30 and 60.

Avascular necrosis - MayoClinic.com

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just did some reading about Napoli's hip condition. It's called avascular necrosis. Here is a little breakdown of what that means.

Avascular necrosis is the death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply. Also called osteonecrosis, avascular necrosis can lead to tiny breaks in the bone and the bone's eventual collapse.
The blood flow to a section of bone can be interrupted if the bone is fractured or the joint becomes dislocated. Avascular necrosis of bone is also associated with long-term use of high-dose steroid medications and excessive alcohol intake.
The hip is the joint most commonly affected by avascular necrosis. While avascular necrosis of bone can happen to anyone, it usually occurs in men between the ages of 30 and 60.

Same disease that Bo Jackson had when he messed his hip up playing football and led to his hip eventually being replaced

Looks like there are a couple new techniques they are trying but none seem to work conclusively yet

That said, I'd still be comfortable with him at 1B for a couple years if he was willing to come back

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same disease that Bo Jackson had when he messed his hip up playing football and led to his hip eventually being replaced

Looks like there are a couple new techniques they are trying but none seem to work conclusively yet

That said, I'd still be comfortable with him at 1B for a couple years if he was willing to come back

I think what would worry me is that it's happening in both hips. He seems like a guy who has enjoyed a few ragers too many. Roaming the streets of Boston with no shirt and drinking heavily. Good think he and Josh never got together...would have been a nightmare.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what would worry me is that it's happening in both hips. He seems like a guy who has enjoyed a few ragers too many. Roaming the streets of Boston with no shirt and drinking heavily. Good think he and Josh never got together...would have been a nightmare.

Not sure if its both, most of what I read "seemed" to imply it was only one hip, but I can't state with certainty

Found this interesting:
"...according to John Dewan’s Fielding Bible, which tracks defensive metrics, Napoli ranks as one of the favorites in the American League, having “saved” his team 10 runs. That compares favorably to the slick-fielding Adrian Gonzalez, who saved 11 runs for the Los Angeles Dodgers this season. With Albert Pujols and Mark Teixeira both sidelined with injuries this season, and Gonzalez traded to the other league, Napoli could be a surprise winner of the award, which is voted upon by the managers and coaches in each league."

Napoli is probably not getting a long term contract due to his hip and age, but I would be a buyer at 3 years and play him at 1B and DH

Also provides insurance if there is an in game injury and he needs to finish the game at catcher, but I would NEVER start him there again

That being said, I'm betting he ends up back in Boston, but I would probably kick the tires more on him than McCann at this point

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli revealed Tuesday that he has avascular necrosis in both hips, the same degenerative condition that ended the career of two-sport star Bo Jackson.

Mike Napoli officially signs with Boston Red Sox, reveals he has degenerative hip condition - ESPN Boston

I love Nap, but I just don't see JD taking this kind of risk. We talked about this disease not that long ago, and there is no cure and no real treatment. AVN is a bitch, because you can be fine, and bam. No baseball...bigger things to worry about.

Beyond that, I wasn't surprised by the pics of him partying, (he always seemed a little wild, for lack of better terms) nor do I care...but I really think he likes it there, and I can imagine they sign him for another year contract

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget the hip, how's his beard long term?

I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but those things were freaking hideous. I like the way Rangers do things...guys are expected to look a little more...professional

(of course if growing hideous beards means a Ring, I could be persuaded to lighten up)

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, but I don't think they're going to be spenders. They have too much locked up already. I hope they trade Trumbo for a pitcher.

Angel Fans want to trade Aybar for Lynn....not going to happen. Then you wonder if Trumbo and Aybar would do it, but it's my opinion the Cards are looking for a better SS, franchise guy

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just to be clear, they aren't talking about PEDS, when they say Steroids...they are talking about patients on long term steroids like Solu-medrol, Prednisone...etc

Status
Not open for further replies.