• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Spring Training Thread

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea ... TEX gets anything 'somewhat' close to ML-ready for Borbon would be nice. Wouldn't even need to be a pitcher for me ... an emerging COF might be nice or a catcher.

NYY just had some catcher sent down. Can't remember the story, but saw the headline in a feed the other day. I'll try to find info on him. If he is sent down because he isn't quite ready or taking up space, maybe they would trade their "can't find room and never blossomed" guy for ours (Borbon)

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wells had an okay outing yesterday ... 5.0IP, 3H (1HR), 1ER, 4BB, 4K.

Having Holland off pitching for USA has opened more IP for TEX to make a decision on #5 and the open RP spots. I expected a better showing from a couple of non-roster veterans with Holland away and Perez out to take advantage of the opening and put up a better showing.

Neil Ramirez should be in the last group contending for an SP job yet he's in the first group sent down to minor league camp. Tepesch is the only guy that has put up the performance to knock Ross out of the lead for #5. I just don't see TEX giving the #5 SP to a guy whose 2012 was split between Myrtle Beach and Frisco to open the season. Will be interesting getting to see him against the Cubs this weekend. But I think when it shakes out he'll be at AAA to open.

Ross really ought to dig in and take the #5 spot aggressively and shut down the veteran pretenders. Maybe this whole competition for #5 is a sham. The #5 spot was going to Perez or Ross ... if TEX was really wanting a veteran to win the job they would have acquired one. Clearly they see more potential in Perez and Ross than was on the market at a price they are willing to pay.

There really isn't room for Ross back in the bullpen with as effective as Ortiz has been. Ortiz may be the best pitching story in camp.

Would like seeing TEX open in HOU with Ogando and the #5 ... then using Harrison, Darvish and Holland against LAA at home. LAA opens against CIN with three games in four days and will be mismatched to counter that TEX rotation.

If not Ross ... who else we have seen might get the #5 spot?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With just over two weeks to go and a whole bunch of spots still wide open ... what are our thoughts on what the bullpen might look like on OD? Here's my opening suggestion. Thoughts?

Nathan
Frasor
Lindblom
Lowe
Kirkman
Beliveau
Ortiz

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wells had an okay outing yesterday ... 5.0IP, 3H (1HR), 1ER, 4BB, 4K.

Having Holland off pitching for USA has opened more IP for TEX to make a decision on #5 and the open RP spots. I expected a better showing from a couple of non-roster veterans with Holland away and Perez out to take advantage of the opening and put up a better showing.

Neil Ramirez should be in the last group contending for an SP job yet he's in the first group sent down to minor league camp. Tepesch is the only guy that has put up the performance to knock Ross out of the lead for #5. I just don't see TEX giving the #5 SP to a guy whose 2012 was split between Myrtle Beach and Frisco to open the season. Will be interesting getting to see him against the Cubs this weekend. But I think when it shakes out he'll be at AAA to open.

Ross really ought to dig in and take the #5 spot aggressively and shut down the veteran pretenders. Maybe this whole competition for #5 is a sham. The #5 spot was going to Perez or Ross ... if TEX was really wanting a veteran to win the job they would have acquired one. Clearly they see more potential in Perez and Ross than was on the market at a price they are willing to pay.

There really isn't room for Ross back in the bullpen with as effective as Ortiz has been. Ortiz may be the best pitching story in camp.

Would like seeing TEX open in HOU with Ogando and the #5 ... then using Harrison, Darvish and Holland against LAA at home. LAA opens against CIN with three games in four days and will be mismatched to counter that TEX rotation.

If not Ross ... who else we have seen might get the #5 spot?

They'll open with their #1,#2 starters cause wash is old school.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With just over two weeks to go and a whole bunch of spots still wide open ... what are our thoughts on what the bullpen might look like on OD? Here's my opening suggestion. Thoughts?

Nathan
Frasor
Lindblom
Lowe
Kirkman
Beliveau
Ortiz

Nathan
Frasor
Ortiz
Kirkman
Lowe (long man)
Scheppers
Lindblom

Soria takes scheppers spot when he gets back to form unless another reliever is shitting the bed.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nathan
Frasor
Ortiz
Kirkman
Lowe (long man)
Scheppers
Lindblom

Soria takes scheppers spot when he gets back to form unless another reliever is shitting the bed.

Had another thought too ... TEX may not activate their #5 and 1) protect Borbon for a post OD trade or ... 2) go with an 8 man BP until they need to bring up the #5.

First game TEX would need its #5 would be 11 April. The #5 (ostensibly Ross) could start for Round Rock vs OMA on 6 April and then be on time for the 11 April start for TEX @ SEA.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head on over to the Texas rangers website and check out the video clip of Joey Gallo's monster bomb. :shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how far was it......the other day against the cubs he hit the wall in CF that was about 20 ft tall and was 433 feet away

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how far was it......the other day against the cubs he hit the wall in CF that was about 20 ft tall and was 433 feet away

I think they estimated it at 463 feet.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw the video......he crushed it

now we wait :D .....how far away is he only about a year or two right

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll be ready about the time Beltre's contract is up

But he really needs to work on his D over there as well

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it earlier on FSSW.... They were interviewing Ross when Gallo hit it. Was a monster shot!

Too bad he's 2-3 years out.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Didn't see it live but looked crushed. Reminded me of a similar swing plane by a recently departed TEX LH bat except with about twice the bat speed.

Actually think Moreland's ball may have gone just as far ... maybe flatter trajectory. Bost were monsters.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ross solid but posts high pitch count vs. Cubs | texasrangers.com: News

T.R.Sullivan is one of those team writers whose stuff can drive you nuts. Reading this piece you'd think that today (non-roster) Kyle McClelland was the most important key to TEX 2013 success and his lat injury warrants TEX revamping all its roster planning.

McClelland out until April means to T.R. that TEX needs to immediately focus all its energy on fixing the bullpen over filling the #5SP spot. But maybe McClelland isn't the most important piece? He already faced a pretty steep slope coming off an injury. Remind you of any past TEX signing of a pitcher coming off an injury who never made it back?

So ... instead of McClelland maybe the one guy who must be turned to to fix it all is Robbie Ross. In T.R.'s opinion TEX should terminate Ross' run for #5 and be sent back to the bullpen and TEX install Tepesch as the #5 "until Colby returns" (because we know Colby will come back strong and Colby is the most important piece).

IMO -- non roster Derek Lowe is far more important potentially than McClelland would be. If Lowe is the long guy ... then earlier projected long guy Michael Kirkman might now be given a shot at #5. Looking at his numbers this ST you have to remember his 2010 performance for OKC with 130Ks in 131IP. Maybe that guy is back? But that still does not mean Ross' campaign to take the #5 spot needs to be aborted.

TEX has a number of very interesting realistic RP options on both RH and LH side ... and Kyle McClelland isn't one of them IMO. Things got two weeks to play out. This is when it gets much more important.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as of right now....ross is the number 5 PERIOD.....who cares what some "expert" says

yu,harry,holland,ogando,ross...is how i would roll to start the season right now

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW - Maddox mentioned yesterday (during the telecast) that they were looking at Kirkman for the #5 spot as well, WMW.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
FWIW - Maddox mentioned yesterday (during the telecast) that they were looking at Kirkman for the #5 spot as well, WMW.

Yes, heard Maddox announce they were going to stretch Kirkman out. Was while Ross was still on the mound too as I remember it. TEX never gets itself into a situation where it only has a single option.

I think the likely contenders for #5 include Ross, Wells, Kirkman, Tepesch and Grimm perhaps in that order.

ESPN-Dallas had this story last night ... http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texa...4/filling-fifth-slot-opening-no-easy-decision

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know where video of the gallo HR is? I found Felix's HR, but not Gallo's.