• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training Thread

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be the best RF for the Sox in the last 7-8 years - you only have to hit .230 with double digit Hrs. I don't think the Colas transition defensively to MLB will be difficult and he has good range and instincts on D. Besides the Sox seem serious about giving Eloy access to RF frequently too.
7c6m7o.jpg

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a great memory of Jermaine Dye - turning around and running straight at me in the right field stands to catch a line drive over his shoulder about 10' from me. That game was in Anaheim.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed the Spring Training opener broadcast(other than getting outscored by San Diego.) Jason & Steve were at their best explaining the new MLB rule changes, very interesting. I would imagine the guys will get more involved in White Sox lineups and their capabilities this year(all positive I'm sure!)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed the Spring Training opener broadcast(other than getting outscored by San Diego.) Jason & Steve were at their best explaining the new MLB rule changes, very interesting. I would imagine the guys will get more involved in White Sox lineups and their capabilities this year(all positive I'm sure!)
The game wasn't broadcast out here in V-Town, but from reading the box score, it seems almost all of the damage came at the expense of pitchers out of the pen who have no chance of making the parent roster.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game wasn't broadcast out here in V-Town, but from reading the box score, it seems almost all of the damage came at the expense of pitchers out of the pen who have no chance of making the parent roster.
Yeah, Lynn got hit early but settled down and as I'm sure you saw struck out 4 in 3 inns. Offense did not have timely hitting, a common problem with this group. I think Grifol needs to, and will, figure this out. With his stats analysis background, he may be as good of a coach to do this.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice little preseason outing from the Sox regulars and top reserves today coming away with a 10-1 win. Elvis Andrus batted ninth and hit a triple - also two very nice plays at 2nd - a tag out on a base stealing attempt and a body lay out stop on a batted ball. Two hits for Vaughn and flawless play at 1st base. Romy Gonzales made a nice running catch in LF showing his versatility. Colas got a hit in his only AB.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any early predictions as to who the four pine brothers will be when the Good Guys break camp? Of course this is assuming we go with 13 positional players. I'm doubting we will. If it's only 12, then we're already set:

Gavin Sheets - Much needed LH power bat who can sub at both 1b & RF, altho the latter position somewhat questionably
Seby Zavala - Gotta have a backup catcher
Leury Garcia - He's still Mr. Versatility until someone as versatile and better at it comes along

But if there is a 13th added to the roster, who would you want. To me these would be the leading candidates:

Romy Gonzalez - Can play 2b, SS, even 3b in a pinch, possibly the one player who could supplant Garcia if the Sox only go with 12
Billy Hamilton - Solid glove & coverage in the OF, fastest player on the team, where stealing bases should return to vogue with the new rules
Jake Burger - More power for a team lacking in such, a decent sub for Moncada at 3b

My choice would be Billy H.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any early predictions as to who the four pine brothers will be when the Good Guys break camp? Of course this is assuming we go with 13 positional players. I'm doubting we will. If it's only 12, then we're already set:

Gavin Sheets - Much needed LH power bat who can sub at both 1b & RF, altho the latter position somewhat questionably
Seby Zavala - Gotta have a backup catcher
Leury Garcia - He's still Mr. Versatility until someone as versatile and better at it comes along

But if there is a 13th added to the roster, who would you want. To me these would be the leading candidates:

Romy Gonzalez - Can play 2b, SS, even 3b in a pinch, possibly the one player who could supplant Garcia if the Sox only go with 12
Billy Hamilton - Solid glove & coverage in the OF, fastest player on the team, where stealing bases should return to vogue with the new rules
Jake Burger - More power for a team lacking in such, a decent sub for Moncada at 3b

My choice would be Billy H
LSD MLB now mandates 13 position players and 13 pitchers - no flexibility.

I agree with Sheets and Zavala. Leury Garcia may start the season with the Sox, but Romy Gonzalez will have the job sometime into the season. The Sox may want Romy in AAA playing multiple positions and getting steady ABs. Garcia is no longer a plus fielder at any spot - IMO, but Romy is a plus defender most palces on the field.

Burger is in a bad spot - as a Right handed power hitting 1st baseman. Sheets will logically get the back up at 1st base - Burger is a trade bait player.

For the last spot I would also keep Hamilton for his defense, his popularity with teammates and his speed. If not Hamilton - Marisneck would be the guy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSD MLB now mandates 13 position players and 13 pitchers - no flexibility.

I agree with Sheets and Zavala. Leury Garcia may start the season with the Sox, but Romy Gonzalez will have the job sometime into the season. The Sox may want Romy in AAA playing multiple positions and getting steady ABs. Garcia is no longer a plus fielder at any spot - IMO, but Romy is a plus defender most palces on the field.

Burger is in a bad spot - as a Right handed power hitting 1st baseman. Sheets will logically get the back up at 1st base - Burger is a trade bait player.

For the last spot I would also keep Hamilton for his defense, his popularity with teammates and his speed. If not Hamilton - Marisneck would be the guy.
Ha!! Goes to show how up I am on all the latest rulings in BB!!!! What a dork. Well, at least it takes some of the drama out of who makes the squad.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha!! Goes to show how up I am on all the latest rulings in BB!!!! What a dork. Well, at least it takes some of the drama out of who makes the squad.
noun

INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
a contemptible, socially inept person.
"they're all dressed like complete dorks"

.... just sayin'

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's revisit your take on who might fill out the roster on the positional side. I'm particularly intrigued by your guess that at some point Gonzalez would eventually replace Garcia. It's obvious he'll need to at least start the season in AAA/AA or wherever to continue gaining additional experience. If he lights it up down there and Garcia subsequently goes flat, I could see the exchange taking place. I have to say tho I've long felt Leury was the perfect pine bro.....just so long as he remains primarily that. Always liked him coming off the bench and spot starting when & where needed. It's when he's thrust more into the role of an everyday starter that his game begins to sag dramatically.

And I probably should have included Marisnick in the discussion. He's a seasoned vet who brings big league experience to the table. His problem is despite some occasional pop, he can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. I see him having a tough time making the squad. Perhaps if he has a killer Spring, it could elevate his chances.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's revisit your take on who might fill out the roster on the positional side. I'm particularly intrigued by your guess that at some point Gonzalez would eventually replace Garcia. It's obvious he'll need to at least start the season in AAA/AA or wherever to continue gaining additional experience. If he lights it up down there and Garcia subsequently goes flat, I could see the exchange taking place. I have to say tho I've long felt Leury was the perfect pine bro.....just so long as he remains primarily that. Always liked him coming off the bench and spot starting when & where needed. It's when he's thrust more into the role of an everyday starter that his game begins to sag dramatically.

And I probably should have included Marisnick in the discussion. He's a seasoned vet who brings big league experience to the table. His problem is despite some occasional pop, he can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. I see him having a tough time making the squad. Perhaps if he has a killer Spring, it could elevate his chances.
Leury Garcia didn't field well last season. It just seems to me the Sox are priming Romy Gonzalez to take that Garcia slot on the team. Romy will be an upgrade defensively and seems to be a favorite of the Grifol coaching team. Leuey Garcia's best feature for staying on the roster is his ill-advised contract which guarantees 2 more years of $5 million.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday's preseason game showed how Grifol plans to manage. Two successful double steals the last one setting up the winning run. Hustle exemplified by Burger legging out a safe run to 1st to prevent the double play. Colas with only one strikeout in 16 ABs (and just one walk) even though he nearly had 30% Ks last season in the minors (hitting .435 with a 900+ OPS). Uncle Jerry is a dork - Hahn is clueless - the Sox treat their fans like gum on the sole of their shoes. but new life seems to be emerging under Grifol.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is being reported that MLB has decided that Clevinger will not receive MLB punishment for the domestic violence accusations. Clevinger has agreed to be evaluated - whatever that means.

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is being reported that MLB has decided that Clevinger will not receive MLB punishment for the domestic violence accusations. Clevinger has agreed to be evaluated - whatever that means.

I have no idea if by not receiving punishment whether or not the league sides with Clevinger. But we have to assume that since he won't face suspension or other disciplinary actions that there wasn't enough 'there' there to take action. Hopefully moving forward this will not be as big of a distraction as we all thought it would be.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of notes over yesterday's game. Encouraging to see Lynn already appearing to be in regular season form, going 4 innings of shutout ball with 5 Ks. To say he got off to a slow start last year is an understatement. But that was largely due to his ongoing recovery from surgery in the offseason. As the season wore on his outings improved dramatically and he ended the year strong. Nice to see him pretty much picking up where he left off. We'll need him to give us major innings if we're to stand any chance at fighting for the division.

I'm also impressed with Colas, who went 2-3. The kid just might be cementing his claim to start in RF. He's batting .429 and from I understand he's only fanned twice in 21 ABs. Yeah, it's only Spring Training and he probably hasn't faced a lot of frontline pitchers, if any at all. But that's still impressive. I would love to see him nail down the position and head north when the Sox break camp.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The unexpected guy who will make the Sox MLB roster appears to be Hanser Alberto. He has excelled at the plate and in the field. He is also a great teammate.