• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Spring Training Thread

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody on the old board I think used to say that you always need double the SPs you thought you needed.

You can never have to many good arms. Our 3-5 may be a little more shaky than everybody thinks. Ogando is not looking good, Holland is always a crap shoot and who knows who will be our number 5? I'm not a fan of awarding rotation spots based on ST results, but Kirkman gets my vote. If he can throw strikes he'll be tough. His stuff is nasty when he keeps in down. It may take a while to get a handle on it but long term I like our pitching.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to worry about ogando. Things should be coming together right now.

I hope it's just a case of him working on a third pitch and not worrying about results. I don't have much faith in him being a starting pitcher with just two pitches.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can never have to many good arms. Our 3-5 may be a little more shaky than everybody thinks. Ogando is not looking good, Holland is always a crap shoot and who knows who will be our number 5? I'm not a fan of awarding rotation spots based on ST results, but Kirkman gets my vote. If he can throw strikes he'll be tough. His stuff is nasty when he keeps in down. It may take a while to get a handle on it but long term I like our pitching.

Problem with Kirkman is he's only been consistent about one thing so far in his career, being inconsistent, even more so than Holland could ever dream, I'd rather see Ross get a shot than Kirkman

And I do think Ogando's struggles relate to his working on things as a starter and not a reliever, he was bad in ST the last 2 years including the year he was a pretty solid starter most of the year

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not worried about ogando or ross....they have shown they can get mlb batters out,its just spring training but as of right now i trust them to hold down the fort until we get all of our arms back..IMO

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I can remember yesterday - Ogando was in the stretch alot yesterday. (even when there werent runners on).

Of course, that was from the Cubs broadcast...

But I agree, right about now is when they need to start showing up and stop "working" on things. Most only have 1-2 more starts.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From what I can remember yesterday - Ogando was in the stretch alot yesterday. (even when there werent runners on).

Of course, that was from the Cubs broadcast...

But I agree, right about now is when they need to start showing up and stop "working" on things. Most only have 1-2 more starts.

Would have been helpful seeing if he was working on something for pitch tracker to have reported the pitch thrown. Am finding Gameday inconsistent across different parks and frequently stalls. Don't think that's my bandwidth or browser issue (hi speed DSL and Chrome) but when you have the type pitch thrown it would have hinted what Ogando was throwing.

Based on ST performance ... I'd rather see what Kirkman has as he is out of options. He's a strikeout pitcher when he's on and right now he's definitely on. Ross will get his shot but would rather see him at RR getting regular work than on again off again work as #5 holding down a spot "until Colby returns".

If he can get stretched out and go 4-5IP I'm okay with Lowe as an SP too. You know sometime during the year it will come down to him having to make a spot start and might as well get him in the groove early.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if the Rangers and Padres are still the only two teams going after Porcello?

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have been helpful seeing if he was working on something for pitch tracker to have reported the pitch thrown. Am finding Gameday inconsistent across different parks and frequently stalls. Don't think that's my bandwidth or browser issue (hi speed DSL and Chrome) but when you have the type pitch thrown it would have hinted what Ogando was throwing.

Based on ST performance ... I'd rather see what Kirkman has as he is out of options. He's a strikeout pitcher when he's on and right now he's definitely on. Ross will get his shot but would rather see him at RR getting regular work than on again off again work as #5 holding down a spot "until Colby returns".

If he can get stretched out and go 4-5IP I'm okay with Lowe as an SP too. You know sometime during the year it will come down to him having to make a spot start and might as well get him in the groove early.

According to Gerry Fraley in todays Dallas Morning News, Nick Tepesch has the inside track on the 5th spot till Lewis and Perez are back. According to Fraley the Rangers will only need a 5th starter 4 times in 40 games through may15th.
"Robbie Ross had the best shot at the job, but the Rangers see him as a better fit in the bullpen".
That means the club is set to carry 3 lefties and 4 righties in the bullpen.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison starts Opening Night in Houston. Darvish gets the 2nd game.

Robbie Ross to the bullpen.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which means Darvish would be in line to pitch Sunday Night April 7th vs. the Angels.

Harrison will also pitch the home opener on April 5th.
Ogando April 6th?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it is a big mistake to put Robbie Ross back in the bullpen whether Tepesch, Lowe or Kirkman are given the Temp Job @ #5.

Just replicates the yo-yo TEX put Harrison and Holland through. If a guy is an SP ... leave him an SP and use him regularly at AAA. There will be opportunity soon enough for Ross to replace someone who goes down for one reason or another (toe, stomach, pillow).

Ditto Tepesch. If he has had a great ST but isn't good enough for anything more than temp duty at #5 either ... then that statement of confidence is going to play on his mind and the only thing that will happen is that he loses confidence when he overtries to hold onto his spot on the slippery slope.

As you (Al) said ... its not a lock that both #4 and #5 might be a slippery slope and TEX better be building some backup at AAA. That's where Ross and Tepesch need to be.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirkman is in the bullpen - fyi.

Kirkman, Ross, Frasor & Nathan are the 4 that have *locks* in the BP.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a big mistake to put Robbie Ross back in the bullpen whether Tepesch, Lowe or Kirkman are given the Temp Job @ #5.

Just replicates the yo-yo TEX put Harrison and Holland through. If a guy is an SP ... leave him an SP and use him regularly at AAA. There will be opportunity soon enough for Ross to replace someone who goes down for one reason or another (toe, stomach, pillow).

Ditto Tepesch. If he has had a great ST but isn't good enough for anything more than temp duty at #5 either ... then that statement of confidence is going to play on his mind and the only thing that will happen is that he loses confidence when he overtries to hold onto his spot on the slippery slope.

As you (Al) said ... its not a lock that both #4 and #5 might be a slippery slope and TEX better be building some backup at AAA. That's where Ross and Tepesch need to be.

Disagree about Harrison, his development, to me, was impacted most by his bout with thoracic outlet syndrome

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With no more starts than he will get with the Rangers, sending Tepesch to AA or AAA is probably the best move. Bringing him up for a start probably isn't etched in stone this early in the season anyhow. The only thing that concerns me is having the same thing happen to him that happened to Neil Rameriz when they jumped him from A to AAA. Not sure if the move caused him to fizzle, but he sure fell off the radar screen in a hurry.
Ross had his chance and didn't get it done. His control has been a problem since the second half of last year and if the higher ups think he's better suited for now in the BP then I guess they think he has a good enough head on his shoulders to handle it.
JMO, but getting consistent pitching from the 3 and 4 rotation spots may be a bigger concern for now.