• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Thread

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, but you add to the dead money for next year....I was looking to maybe avoid that, as the Bengals typically do...but you are right...you do that and suddenly you have additional money to add up front....

The ways forward to getting just about anything, and everything, done right now are there...it's a matter of the contracts themselves and making the moves to correlate.
I get what you are saying. Probably be better to end it this year instead of push into next year.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm skeptical of the trade report from this morning. Sounds like an agent or the team trying to create a market for a Williams trade.

I just don't see how a team trades for him. Yes, the value of a left tackle with years of experience is really hard to pass up. But, you would have to evaluate the guy with several assumptions...First, that his knee will be better for the season. That should be the case because his surgery wasn't as serious as other knee injuries. But, with injuries you don't know and he certainly wouldn't be ready for a physical. Second, you have to hope his level of play is higher than it was last season when he really struggled. It's hard to justify this second point because the numbers weren't that much different than the year before. Finally, you have to have a plan for a new contract. A one year rental might make sense for a team that needs the part for a playoff run, but how many teams does this apply to? If you're a rebuilding team, you like getting a LT for the future that is only on his second deal. But if he's not very good, I don't think you've really solved anything.

Hard to see moving him for anything other than a 6th or 7th.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm skeptical of the trade report from this morning. Sounds like an agent or the team trying to create a market for a Williams trade.

I just don't see how a team trades for him. Yes, the value of a left tackle with years of experience is really hard to pass up. But, you would have to evaluate the guy with several assumptions...First, that his knee will be better for the season. That should be the case because his surgery wasn't as serious as other knee injuries. But, with injuries you don't know and he certainly wouldn't be ready for a physical. Second, you have to hope his level of play is higher than it was last season when he really struggled. It's hard to justify this second point because the numbers weren't that much different than the year before. Finally, you have to have a plan for a new contract. A one year rental might make sense for a team that needs the part for a playoff run, but how many teams does this apply to? If you're a rebuilding team, you like getting a LT for the future that is only on his second deal. But if he's not very good, I don't think you've really solved anything.

Hard to see moving him for anything other than a 6th or 7th.

I think you get a 6th or 7th if the other team is eating all of the salary.

I think you can bump it up a few rounds depending on how much the Bengals might be willing to pitch in since, regardless, they are saving money against the cap...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another team shouldn't offer anything better than a 4th round pick for him, we'd be lucky to get a 5th.
they can use a draft pick and get a decent OL who would be serviceable, and it would cost them less.

he will start for whatever team he goes to. it might not be pretty, but right now a lot of teams are desperate.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another team shouldn't offer anything better than a 4th round pick for him, we'd be lucky to get a 5th.
they can use a draft pick and get a decent OL who would be serviceable, and it would cost them less.

he will start for whatever team he goes to. it might not be pretty, but right now a lot of teams are desperate.
Rookies coming in past the 1st round, maybe 2nd, and starting at LT are going to be hardpressed to be much better than Williams has been - even if he hasn't been good. That experience is worth something.

Again - the Bengals may have to eat some of the salary as it's a 1 year deal....but thinking a team wouldn't trade a 4th because they can find the equivalent of a 4 year starter at LT is....well, not likely.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep grab washington if available. I don't see how he would be tho. I like big TEs. walk 5 yrds and take a bullet in the chest

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliot anybody? Cooper Rush?.......not too big on Elliot but who knows?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliot anybody? Cooper Rush?.......not too big on Elliot but who knows?
I would be okay with Elliott being signed, Mixon being cut, and us drafting a RB in the 3rd to 4th round this year, unless Robinson falls to #28, then I would say maximize value in that pick instead of going at weaker areas, but rather really strengthen that area for the next 5 years.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be okay with Elliott being signed, Mixon being cut, and us drafting a RB in the 3rd to 4th round this year, unless Robinson falls to #28, then I would say maximize value in that pick instead of going at weaker areas, but rather really strengthen that area for the next 5 years.
It's just a swap of ineffective RB's...chances are, if Elliot were to come here, it would likely be in some dual role with Mixon - not to replace him...just my thoughts.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a swap of ineffective RB's...chances are, if Elliot were to come here, it would likely be in some dual role with Mixon - not to replace him...just my thoughts.
Perhaps. I know it will not save us much money this year, but say Zeke is willing to take a 3 year deal for 10 million. I know that he probably won't. But if you get him to take that, cut Mixon in favor of the savings, then you save a little cap room this year and next year, instead of a 12 million dollar cap hit with Mixon, you are looking at a $3 million dollar cap hit on Zeke along with a draft pick from this year. So you just reduced your RB room from $14 million (Mixon / Perine) to $4 million (Elliott / McBride). It is a plan ahead cost reduction in the cap in ongoing years.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we're not signing Mixon, he's not as effective as he used to be

and we're not signing Zeke, per Taylor:

we will be going with:
Traveon
Evans
some draft pick

it's odd that we are now going back to looking towards the draft to fill needs again, but I think it has to do with planning for Burrow being the future highest paid player in the league, and retaining Chase, and OL, and some defensive staples.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Elliot as much as others.... By all accounts, he is a solid pass protector. If the idea is that they are going to get younger with a draft pick, I think they need a solid vet on the roster that they know can pass protect and be a veteran presence. If they were to go with Elliot, a draft pick and Williams I think they would be okay.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with keeping Mixon (beyond money) is that pairing him with a rookie is not going to work. A vet needs to be the guy they can use in difficult end of game situations or specific times when they need pass protection (2 minute drills, etc). That's not Mixon.... He's only going to be effective if he gets to be a two down runner in a more run-based offense. So, if we're planning to really bring a new guy in, I think Mixon needs to be gone and another veteran needs to be signed. Not many of those vets available.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better than a late pick (williams)....how about veteran meat for veteran meat. ready to go, flesh and bone player.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not over yet.

but they don't seem to know the bengals front office. they are fine trying to fill positions of need in the draft and just rolling with what they got.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a CB and a TE...

Like the CB guy - seems like another Apple in the way of fitting the scheme better than maybe he has in other stops, but a good depth signing.

Don't mind the TE, but he's got to show he's healthy - he's apparently got the talent...still need at least 1 more veteran, and I would still look TE in the draft in the middle rounds. I think there's some really good potential there.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irv Smith is a good pick-up. I think it's mutually beneficial to both parties...... He's a 24 year old, former 2nd round pick, playing on a loaded offense that finds itself needing options to beat the double-teams on their two outside receivers. Stay healthy, catch the passes that come your way and you are a 25 year old free agent coming off a career year.

For the Bengals, I don't think he checks all the boxes.... I'm not sure you're getting enough out of him in the run game, but as a weapon in the passing game, I think he brings as much as Hurst brought to the table. Also, with him and Asaasai in the fold, you don't have to reach in the draft. I still think we see the long-term answer somewhere in the first 3 rounds, but there won't be pressure for that player to start.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been watching Irv's career highlights. He looks like a WR instead of a TE. Hopefully he can get some blocking down. But impressed as hell with his pass catching ability.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irv is going to be good, then he's going to get injured. so we still need to draft a TE.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irv is going to be good, then he's going to get injured. so we still need to draft a TE.
Agreed. Still need a youth movement here, long term stability.

I'd be OK with re-signing Sample - solid blocker, and that would be needed with Smith being smaller more of a receiving option, IMO, than blocking.

But, I think the signing at least takes the "need" of grabbing a guy in the 1st round off the table. If a guy is there they love, great, if not...I think rounds 2-4 are going to offer up some really solid options.