• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Thread

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Rapp left New England without a deal and is headed to Cincy for a visit.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Rapp left New England without a deal and is headed to Cincy for a visit.
That was yesterday I thought. He is still in Cincinnati right now, so that is a good sign that he stayed over night in the area to speak to team officials again today.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting bit on Ford...apparently he is in the mix for the RT spot.

If they are leaving Williams as the backup for a year, and letting Carman, Collins, and Ford battle it out at RT - I don't see them taking an OT this year......

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting bit on Ford...apparently he is in the mix for the RT spot.

If they are leaving Williams as the backup for a year, and letting Carman, Collins, and Ford battle it out at RT - I don't see them taking an OT this year......
I think they have plans for Williams at RT. Could be a big year for him - If he plays really well at RT, he'd be due a big deal as a free agent. He would be a guy that could sign as a RT but also add flexibility for LT if a starter got hurt. Not many guys can do that - He could really cash in.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see them go RT early in the draft. The idea that you could pick a guy, sit him a year, and then let him take over with 4 more controlled years, would really open up the possibility that this offense can maintain stability for years.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have plans for Williams at RT. Could be a big year for him - If he plays really well at RT, he'd be due a big deal as a free agent. He would be a guy that could sign as a RT but also add flexibility for LT if a starter got hurt. Not many guys can do that - He could really cash in.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see them go RT early in the draft. The idea that you could pick a guy, sit him a year, and then let him take over with 4 more controlled years, would really open up the possibility that this offense can maintain stability for years.
Yeah, I just don't think I'd pass up a potential long-term answer at RT in the draft...Jones from OSU is really intriguing, as is the kid from Tenn. The guy from Oklahoma has some knocks on his ability with speed rushers, and we don't need another pass-pro issue at RT...So, OSU/Tenn kids are my targets.

If Meyer fell - I'd take him at this point...but to be honest, running through the PFF mock - the vast majority of times there are 3 OT's on the board, and another one that will be there in round 2 with the kid from 'Cuse who would benefit from a year behind another starter, but could be good long term.

Maybe they decide to go edge - Hendrickson is up soon, and this team desperately needs to get more pressure.

If they have the option to drop back 3-4-5 spots and pick up another late 2nd or 3rd rounder....I'd probably roll the dice with that knowing there are still a lot of options on the board, and a real need for more controllable contracts as well as ensuring you hit on enough of the draft picks. More picks = more lottery tickets....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I'm wrong.... Jonah wants out.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take a 3rd for Williams..... Maybe a high 4th. Otherwise, I'd call his bluff. He can sit out the season and try his hand at FA next offseason. He'd lose out on 12 million dollars and his final season tape would include two dislocated knees and some poor play. Simply put, he has no leverage.... And he has 12 million reasons to show up.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could also quickly move Jonah, free up 12 million the cap and go after one of the remaining options at right tackle.... Someone like Jermaine Eluemunor would be a good addition and would solidify the line.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say with his salary and lack of production he isn't worth more than a 6th rounder.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say with his salary and lack of production he isn't worth more than a 6th rounder.
I wouldn't trade him for a 6th. Too much value to keep him on this year's team.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade him for a 6th. Too much value to keep him on this year's team.
I'd take a bag of balls and a fungo bat.

Give me the 12.6M. THAT is the driver.

Williams, outside of freeing up the cap space, has zero leverage.

They have 5 guys currently vying for 2 spots without Williams.

LT - Brown/Carman
RT - Collins/Adeniji/Ford

It would be different if it were still:

LT - Williams/Carman
RT - Collins/Adeniji

Because Collins is an unknwon, and Carman is still raw at LT with only a 2 games worth of tape...but promise. So, if Williams sat, you're stuck with just 2 guys for 2 spots, and no depth at all depending on Collins....but Ford and Brown changed that equation drastically.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scharping returns on a 1 year deal. Not a bad signing. Continuity on the IOL and while he wasn't great - he's a backup for a reason.

Still would like to find some young guys at some point for backup reps to grow, but I think at this point, the Bengals are likely looking at what they've done on the OL and other than maybe a late rounder - I think they are likely going to be set with what they have and hope that Williams will come through and "see" the light about playing RT this year....if not...I'd still trade now to free up the money, but with Adeniji, Carman, and Ford in the mix at RT...someone is also going to be playing some backup guard, and all 3 also have played guard at some point....

Starting to wonder if they might look WR in round 1 depending on who falls...you grab a WR there, like Downs, and if you could land someone like LaPorta in round 2....the offense is suddenly more explosive....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scharping returns on a 1 year deal. Not a bad signing. Continuity on the IOL and while he wasn't great - he's a backup for a reason.

Still would like to find some young guys at some point for backup reps to grow, but I think at this point, the Bengals are likely looking at what they've done on the OL and other than maybe a late rounder - I think they are likely going to be set with what they have and hope that Williams will come through and "see" the light about playing RT this year....if not...I'd still trade now to free up the money, but with Adeniji, Carman, and Ford in the mix at RT...someone is also going to be playing some backup guard, and all 3 also have played guard at some point....

Starting to wonder if they might look WR in round 1 depending on who falls...you grab a WR there, like Downs, and if you could land someone like LaPorta in round 2....the offense is suddenly more explosive....
I think, at the very least, the Bengals have now raised the floor of the offensive line. Going into the season, you should have three better than average starters (LT, C, RG) and you probably feel okay with the idea of Volson being better in year 2. At RT, you have several options on the roster and you still have a chance to add in the draft. I could live with the hope that either Williams, Ford, Carmen, or Smith balls out and earns a position. The depth is certainly better than what it was.

I think best player available is definitely the play in the first round.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wouldn't put anything out of question. a decent WR gives us the ability to go ahead and trade one, or allow one like Boyd to leave via free agency. I really feel that they are planning on drafting a TE1 in the first round. we haven't even signed our backup TEs yet.

I'm good with Sharping coming back

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, at the very least, the Bengals have now raised the floor of the offensive line. Going into the season, you should have three better than average starters (LT, C, RG) and you probably feel okay with the idea of Volson being better in year 2. At RT, you have several options on the roster and you still have a chance to add in the draft. I could live with the hope that either Williams, Ford, Carmen, or Smith balls out and earns a position. The depth is certainly better than what it was.

I think best player available is definitely the play in the first round.
I think you hit the nail on the head: the floor has been raised.

Does that mean it can't get better, of course not, but I do think because of the depth they now have a flexibility in round 1 that they didn't have before....with or without Williams.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't put anything out of question. a decent WR gives us the ability to go ahead and trade one, or allow one like Boyd to leave via free agency. I really feel that they are planning on drafting a TE1 in the first round. we haven't even signed our backup TEs yet.

I'm good with Sharping coming back
At this point, my thought is that the only TE left on the board at 28 is going to be LaPorta....who is not a 1st round guy.

If they are going to bypass OT (which could still have several options on the board) then I think WR is the likely go.

Boyd is in his last year (he is a F/A next year) and at nearing 30....do the Bengals offer him a contract? Their recent run of not extending guys into years 30+ says no...but do they work a team friendly deal for him to extend and stay - maybe - but even then, adding more talent to the WR core is needed. Higgins is not a for sure thing, and Boyd, again, at nearing 30 is on the backside....adding more speed and dimension to the WR room is a must, IMO, now that OL is pretty shored up.

I think you can get LaPorta in round 2, and I think you can get a host of guys in round 4...there's also still some guys on the F/A market...I think Schultz would be a good target. 26, has some injuries so you'd still need a TE, but not pressing for one in round 1 - and if he wanted a 1 year "prove it deal" like Hurst, he could hit the market at still just 27 and reap the benefit of playing with Burrow....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, my thought is that the only TE left on the board at 28 is going to be LaPorta....who is not a 1st round guy.

If they are going to bypass OT (which could still have several options on the board) then I think WR is the likely go.

Boyd is in his last year (he is a F/A next year) and at nearing 30....do the Bengals offer him a contract? Their recent run of not extending guys into years 30+ says no...but do they work a team friendly deal for him to extend and stay - maybe - but even then, adding more talent to the WR core is needed. Higgins is not a for sure thing, and Boyd, again, at nearing 30 is on the backside....adding more speed and dimension to the WR room is a must, IMO, now that OL is pretty shored up.

I think you can get LaPorta in round 2, and I think you can get a host of guys in round 4...there's also still some guys on the F/A market...I think Schultz would be a good target. 26, has some injuries so you'd still need a TE, but not pressing for one in round 1 - and if he wanted a 1 year "prove it deal" like Hurst, he could hit the market at still just 27 and reap the benefit of playing with Burrow....
Are we ruling out the option of potentially trading up a little bit in round 1 and using our first, Williams and a 3rd to get in position for Mayer?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we ruling out the option of potentially trading up a little bit in round 1 and using our first, Williams and a 3rd to get in position for Mayer?
I don't see them trading up. I think Duke was reluctant to do it last year as it cost him draft picks..... The Brown signing just took the 3rd round comp pick for Bates off the table. The Bengals are going to need to start developing some draft picks to fill in the gaps when the big contracts start hitting. For a team that has been very hit-or-miss in the draft, the more picks we have the better chances we'll have to hit on them.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is our default TE or TE2
we'll probably sign wilcox or sample again as well

the draft seems like the way to go for TE1