• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

free agency thread 2018

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tweet from Hogs Haven (@HogsHaven)
Hogs Haven (@HogsHaven) Tweeted:
Rumor: the Redskins have inquired about Tyrann Mathieu through his agent

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan and Honey Badger and then to the draft. We would then need RB, LG staters and DL and ILB depth. Not sure we have the cap for it though. We are running out of cap room fast. Anybody know how much Brown and Richardson are costing toward the cap. Gkekoa is good at breaking the actual numbers down.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan and Honey Badger and then to the draft. We would then need RB, LG staters and DL and ILB depth. Not sure we have the cap for it though. We are running out of cap room fast. Anybody know how much Brown and Richardson are costing toward the cap. Gkekoa is good at breaking the actual numbers down.

We currently have 25 million in cap space and that counts Alex Smith at a 17 mil hit this season but his final numbers are not in. This includes a 4 mil hit for Paul Richardson, but does not include the numbers for Brown. It also includes the money required to sign our current draft pool.

Washington Redskins 2018 Salary Cap

So we really have about 20 million in space. Bennie Logan is going to cost at least 8 mil/season with a cap hit near 5. Honey badger I expect to cost at least 10/season with 6 mil hit. That would leave one more good player or two decent ones with all the holes that follow.

We need the following in my eyes:

RB. We can debate starter or depth.

WR. I just don’t see anything in FA worth getting and we can’t use our first on one because I don’t think any warrant it.

LG starter.

Backup C/G.

NT starter. I have a funny feeling the FO thinks we are fine with what we have. You know my opinion of their opinions.

OLB depth. We really have zero backups right now.

ILB starter/depth. We need a guy that can at least push Foster for the starting position.

CB starter/depth. At worst, we need somebody that can push FM and QB.

S starter/depth. At worst, we need somebody that can push both our current starters.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently have 25 million in cap space and that counts Alex Smith at a 17 mil hit this season but his final numbers are not in. This includes a 4 mil hit for Paul Richardson, but does not include the numbers for Brown. It also includes the money required to sign our current draft pool.

Washington Redskins 2018 Salary Cap

So we really have about 20 million in space. Bennie Logan is going to cost at least 8 mil/season with a cap hit near 5. Honey badger I expect to cost at least 10/season with 6 mil hit. That would leave one more good player or two decent ones with all the holes that follow.

We need the following in my eyes:

RB. We can debate starter or depth.

WR. I just don’t see anything in FA worth getting and we can’t use our first on one because I don’t think any warrant it.

LG starter.

Backup C/G.

NT starter. I have a funny feeling the FO thinks we are fine with what we have. You know my opinion of their opinions.

OLB depth. We really have zero backups right now.

ILB starter/depth. We need a guy that can at least push Foster for the starting position.

CB starter/depth. At worst, we need somebody that can push FM and QB.

S starter/depth. At worst, we need somebody that can push both our current starters.

Thanks!

I fear that the FO thinks we are ok at NT as well or else they have the 1st rounder pegged for the pick. I agree with your summary.
I agree with the names on this list:
Still Plenty of Quality Free Agent Options Left for Redskins (updated)

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheme matters, if you don't think so you don't really know the game. It is one (not the only one) reason for so many situation substitutions. I am not talking about any one player while saying this, just saying scheme matters for some players or in how they are used.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOu mean like people use salary as a primary reason for not wanting guys when all else fails and they cant explain their hate??

Scheme fit is sort of a real thing though. Just look at how Haynesworth went from average, to flat garbage when we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. NOt the greatest example. BUt the reality is, some guys are better suited for a role than other guys in a particular scheme.

Ehh. Yes people use the cap to justify what they want. But the cap is a real concern too. Both are true.

Haynesworth failed cuz he was a lazy POS who didn' put in ANY effort at all once he got paid. We honestly have no idea whether he would have fit the scheme because he just didn't care.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheme matters, if you don't think so you don't really know the game. It is one (not the only one) reason for so many situation substitutions. I am not talking about any one player while saying this, just saying scheme matters for some players or in how they are used.

Nobody is arguing scheme doesn't matter. But people will use scheme as an excuse to argue against players they don' like here. If you think suh couldn' fit the scheme here you don' really know the game.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh. Yes people use the cap to justify what they want. But the cap is a real concern too. Both are true.

Haynesworth failed cuz he was a lazy POS who didn' put in ANY effort at all once he got paid. We honestly have no idea whether he would have fit the scheme because he just didn't care.

Agreed haynesworth was lazy.

But...

Year one, we ran a 4-3 defense, he played in 12 games. Had 37 tackles and 4 sacks
Year two, when we switched to a 3-4.. 6 games, 16 tackles 2.5 sacks.

Part lazy yes. But also Mike Shanahan insisting on him playing Nose.

As for Wilkerson.. I think a part of him not coming might have had to do with lower salary combined with them wanting him to play nose.

Scheme does matter.

As for the cap cost, guys regularly proclaim a contract for a guy they like reasonable no matter his production. And as we have seen, when guys dont like a player.. any payment is an overpayment

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust Keim and he's been saying for a while that they like Payne. They also chased Logan last year. Gotta think someone is brought in at nose.

We need a starting RB. With Quick back in the fold, not sure what they are thinking at WR. Wouldn't bother me to see a WR taken in the 4th.

Corner is the biggest concern at this point. We lost Breeland and Fuller. If Norman goes down, we would have Dunbar and Moreau on the outside with Holsey in the slot. We would get torched.

Honey Badger at S on 1st and 2nd and move him into the slot on 3rd and bring in Nicholson on passing downs. Still waiting to see on the DRC situation.

With a Nseke getting a 2nd round tender, is he a possibility at LG. Hernandez @44 if there?

I think they are pushing their chips in on Anderson. I expect him to sink or swim this year. Galette should be contacted though.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust Keim and he's been saying for a while that they like Payne. They also chased Logan last year. Gotta think someone is brought in at nose.

We need a starting RB. With Quick back in the fold, not sure what they are thinking at WR. Wouldn't bother me to see a WR taken in the 4th.

Corner is the biggest concern at this point. We lost Breeland and Fuller. If Norman goes down, we would have Dunbar and Moreau on the outside with Holsey in the slot. We would get torched.

Honey Badger at S on 1st and 2nd and move him into the slot on 3rd and bring in Nicholson on passing downs. Still waiting to see on the DRC situation.

With a Nseke getting a 2nd round tender, is he a possibility at LG. Hernandez @44 if there?

I think they are pushing their chips in on Anderson. I expect him to sink or swim this year. Galette should be contacted though.

Said it before and I will say it again..

They need to sign some one for the D-line and STILL draft Payne or Vea. Fix the front seven goes a long way towards fixing the defense long term.

Sure HB checks off a few boxes.. some I like.. couple I dont. But it would also leave us to take BPA in the 2nd or trade down instead of possibly forcing the pick.

And I like TY at LG.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was with you Shark on fixing the line with two guys, but with all the holes, not sure we can still do that. A bunch of guys jumped on the first thing smokin outta here. I hope that was our decision and not theirs.

I'm at the point wi th Bruce and Dan where it would almost be better if this team just bottomed out if that's what it would take to move Allen upstairs or get rid of him......but Dan would just find himself a new Vinny/Bruce.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue what this says about Tress Way. Simply competition?

What the Sam Hill are they doing???

Actually, I think the Skins need to improve at punter. Tress has the leg, but he is awful at getting punts inside the 10.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tweet from Hogs Haven (@HogsHaven)
Hogs Haven (@HogsHaven) Tweeted:
Rumor: the Redskins have inquired about Tyrann Mathieu through his agent
Shefter says he's on his way here to visit. DJ Swearinger is doing what he can to make it happen. Should we be excited?

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said it before and I will say it again..

They need to sign some one for the D-line and STILL draft Payne or Vea. Fix the front seven goes a long way towards fixing the defense long term.

Sure HB checks off a few boxes.. some I like.. couple I dont. But it would also leave us to take BPA in the 2nd or trade down instead of possibly forcing the pick.

And I like TY at LG.
I don't want another free agent Dlineman. I do want the best run-stuffer in the draft.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want another free agent Dlineman. I do want the best run-stuffer in the draft.

I want both. The McBoys as Dean calls them, are rotation guys at best. I like Ion, but we need at minimum two starters for the D-line in addition to Allen and Ion.

7 Dline total

Right now Allen, Richardson or Poe, Ion, Payne or Vea, one of the McNugs, Hood, and Lanier... and I really wouldnt mind if some one pushed Hood and both Nuggets off the roster.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want both. The McBoys as Dean calls them, are rotation guys at best. I like Ion, but we need at minimum two starters for the D-line in addition to Allen and Ion.

7 Dline total

Right now Allen, Richardson or Poe, Ion, Payne or Vea, one of the McNugs, Hood, and Lanier... and I really wouldnt mind if some one pushed Hood and both Nuggets off the roster.

We should have signed Beau Allen. Could have gotten him for a little over 5 per year.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shefter says he's on his way here to visit. DJ Swearinger is doing what he can to make it happen. Should we be excited?

Link? I couldn't find it

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7 Dline total

I called them the Big Macs in one of my early posts here and got verbally eviscerated for it, but as Kirk Cousins always says sometimes, it's all in the delivery. I'd like to see Preston Smith play up front on passing downs. I believe he led the team in QB hurries, and his length/agility combo can cause... havoc. Free Preston Smith!

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be huge. Help ease the pain of losing Fuller.