• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

free agency thread 2018

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed haynesworth was lazy.

But...

Year one, we ran a 4-3 defense, he played in 12 games. Had 37 tackles and 4 sacks
Year two, when we switched to a 3-4.. 6 games, 16 tackles 2.5 sacks.

Part lazy yes. But also Mike Shanahan insisting on him playing Nose.

As for Wilkerson.. I think a part of him not coming might have had to do with lower salary combined with them wanting him to play nose.

Scheme does matter.

As for the cap cost, guys regularly proclaim a contract for a guy they like reasonable no matter his production. And as we have seen, when guys dont like a player.. any payment is an overpayment

Huh? Those numbers are better in the 3-4...

And as you said he played the worst possible position to put up #s.

Scheme absolutely matters. Scheme doesmt ALWAYS matter. OBJ is a stud in ANY scheme. So is Aaron Rodgers. And Trent Williams. And Suh. And Watt. Sometimes it doesn't matter. Since scheme was brought up in reference to suh...this time it was a copout. It isn't always a copout though.

For sure. Most people aren' consistent about the salary cap. You can overpay for players though. That being said, the cap is constantly going up and people shouldn't be too worried about cap numbers. They'r more flexible than most people realize.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is the Redskins play 3-4 less than 4-3. I think Suh is more suited to playing DT than nose. I am not saying he can't play nose. Guys who play nose (0 technique) or shade on either side of the center (1 technique) job is to occupy two guys. Not a lot of glory in that. Fat Albert wanted glory. I can't answer that for Suh.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want another free agent Dlineman. I do want the best run-stuffer in the draft.

I agree with you. I would like to see a competition in what we have already on the roster now. We obviously keep Allen, Ironman, Lanier, and McGee IMO. I would also likely use pick 13 on DL. That leaves one or two spots for the others.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shefter says he's on his way here to visit. DJ Swearinger is doing what he can to make it happen. Should we be excited?

Because it looks like the right thing to do...nervous!:D

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we all are asking for a lot and hoping Allen makes the smart decision :pound:and drafts a NT. We got very lucky last year that we landed the good Allen at #17. I’m spreading rumors that Barkley punched my dog in hopes he falls to us at #13.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gotta do SOMETHING at corner.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NUh ungg... cause we gots Moreau, and Norman, and Dunbar.... Phsss.. we dont need no corners man. That Fuller kid was expendable.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we are trying to sign JG. Galette will be the 4th olb offers pass rushing help

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. I would like to see a competition in what we have already on the roster now. We obviously keep Allen, Ironman, Lanier, and McGee IMO. I would also likely use pick 13 on DL. That leaves one or two spots for the others.
No thanks, we need talent, not body's. Sign a difference maker on the DL then draft best DL available to shore up this unit even more. The guys you mention above are fillers minus Allen, not starter material. Real football starts in the trenches and ours needs improvement to compete each Sunday.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need to relook at the term fourth OLB. He may be fourth in number but will come in before Anderson.

Absolutely driving me insane. Its almost like its ingenious trolling but I dont think hes witty enough for that.

Every time he proclaims Ryan Anderson the 3rd rush backer or calls Galette, murphy, whoever the 4th I die a little inside.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely driving me insane. Its almost like its ingenious trolling but I dont think hes witty enough for that.

Every time he proclaims Ryan Anderson the 3rd rush backer or calls Galette, murphy, whoever the 4th I die a little inside.

I think he is just an idiot.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks, we need talent, not body's. Sign a difference maker on the DL then draft best DL available to shore up this unit even more. The guys you mention above are fillers minus Allen, not starter material. Real football starts in the trenches and ours needs improvement to compete each Sunday.

McGee...cap hit 4.8 mil...dead cap 3.2
McClain...cap hit 4.7 mil...dead cap 7 mil

Who do you propose we bring in as a difference maker? Is he a sure fire difference maker on this team?

Ironman was having a helluva season prior to the injury to Allen and then himself.
Lanier was impressive once given a chance.
McGee was better than people give him credit for.

The pick at 13 should be a difference maker.

Getting rid of McClain seems to be a move of impatience. To get rid of him will be expensive, so why not be patient and hope he turns into what we hoped? Do I expect him to be good...no, but he is already under a bad contract. Why not allow it to play out til next season when we can get rid of him at a lower cost?

There are not any sure fire actual difference makers on the open market that I see. There are just more guys like McGee and McClain.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be honest, Anderson SHOULD be getting developed as a RUsh LB.

But as it stands, he would have been the 4th OLB on the depth chart had Murphy been resigned, and Murphy might have actually pressed Smith for the starting role if he comes back from the knee solid.

Thing that some folks are ignoring is, this team has cut bait on quite a few productive players.. and not just guys we got lucky on. Amerson was a 2nd round pick, as was Murphy.

Good teams have those 2nd and 3rd rounders on the team for more than just a rookie contract. And the fact that our guys are getting paid elsewhere suggest that they are not lacking in talent, just that our front office lacks patience and foresight. the fact that only 5 of 42 draft picks since 2010 are even still on our roster speaks volumes to the level of incompetence in our front office.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question, but the last thing they should do is rush to overpay. When you do that, it's inevitable that something better will come along - probably cheaper - and you won't be able to afford it, because you... rushed to overpay - which they're likely about to do.