• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your last place Texas Rangers return home to face the Yanks for 4 - May 17-20

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Rangers bats have a comeback win in them?

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figure we were gonna get an ugly game, just thought it'd be from Lyles

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLB Pipeline Top 10 Draft Prospects

The Top 10:
Marcelo Mayer, SS, Eastlake (CA)
Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep (TX)
Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt
Henry Davis, C, Louisville
Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vanderbilt
Brady House, SS, Winder-Barrow (GA)
Jackson Jobe, RHP, Heritage Hall (OK)
Kahlil Watson, SS, Wake Forest (NC)
Ty Madden, RHP, Texas
Colton Cowser, OF, Sam Houston

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I would post what Keith Law had to say about draft prospect Henry Davis, the Louisville catcher, last month. Law has Davis as his top draft prospect while MLB has Davis at 4.

Louisville catcher Henry Davis has an incredible eye at the plate, rarely swinging and missing, making hard contact with power, and showing a plus arm with good hands on defense.

So why the &^@$ isn’t he the top prospect in this draft class?

The assumption all spring has been that the first overall pick, held by Pittsburgh, would be one of the two Vanderbilt right-handers, Jack Leiter (No. 1 on my board) or Kumar Rocker. But the industry has long held that position players are safer picks than pitchers, and there are few more valuable position players than catchers who can hit and defend. Davis can do those things, and there aren’t many better hitters in this class at any position

Davis has an elite approach at the plate, an ideal combination of selectivity, pitch recognition, and hand acceleration, so that he just doesn’t swing and miss. I saw one swing-and-miss in 10 plate appearances over two games, and his whiff rate this season is only around 6 percent, while he reached base safely in eight of those trips to the plate via five hits and three walks. His swing is beautiful, with the aforementioned quick hands and great hip rotation to allow him to drive the ball, and he showed no problem catching up to 96-97 against UVA. Behind the plate, he receives well but needs some work with blocking, while the Cavaliers never even tested his plus arm.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Keith Law on Davis.

Two days of watching Davis gave me strong Buster Posey vibes, and Posey, who went fifth overall in the 2008 draft, should have gone first. (He was No. 2 on my draft board that year, behind Tim Beckham, who was the first overall pick and the consensus top prospect. I had it wrong.) Posey hit with the old silly bats, but his .463/.566/.879 line as a junior — with a nearly 2:1 walk to strikeout ratio — would probably look a lot like Davis’ current line of .409/.533/.678, with a BB:K ratio over 2 if Posey used the modern composite bats the NCAA requires now.

Even if you think Davis is Posey Lite, is that a more valuable player than a good No. 2 starter, which is Leiter’s projection? Would you prefer the certainty of a catcher who hits to the wider variance in outcomes for Rocker, who can show you No. 1 stuff and has a workhorse build, but lacks the command or consistency of a Leiter? Joey Bart was the No. 2 pick three years ago, with an inferior offensive profile and track record to Davis, striking out far more often. Maybe it’s time to reconsider the idea that the first pick has to be one of the Vandy boys, even if Pittsburgh is limiting its choices to college players. Davis is, at the very least, good enough to be in their decision set.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting to see how some of these lists can vary. For instance, Braden Montgomery, a high school OF, is listed at 18th on Keith Law's board, but at 60th on the MLB Pipeline board. Will Taylor, another high school OF, is listed at 15th on Law's board and 27th on MLB board.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the top 5, however that particular analyst has it, is full of guys who "have the potential to be really good." No clear cut standout. Which, to me, suggests that a team should draft based on overall need.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are loaded at the catcher position for awhile. Don’t need to draft one. We need a guy who can come in and be a solid pitcher for the next 10 years. Leiter or rocker all the way.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to pick a pitcher at the 2 slot if a position players who could be elite is available especially a catcher

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to pick a pitcher at the 2 slot if a position players who could be elite is available especially a catcher
If that kid was a Joe mauer / pudge Rodriguez type we probably would want him, but is he really that good?