• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Oscars / Academy Awards Best Picture Winners

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA. I never saw that.. To me James Cameron's best film remains Aliens with T2 second. (Titanic 3rd)

You have seen it, you just saw the non cartoon remake. You add a talking bat to Avatar and it is basically a shot for shot remake.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saving Private Ryan has a great beginning that is both the highlight of the film and the movie's downfall. Sure, its the best and most interesting part but its also needlessly there.It does little to advance the story.

Its a very average movie. All five nominees are weak.

Out of Sight is better.
Gods And Monsters is better.
Something About Mary and Rushmore are better but comedies.....

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saving Private Ryan has a great beginning that is both the highlight of the film and the movie's downfall. Sure, its the best and most interesting part but its also needlessly there.It does little to advance the story.

Its a very average movie. All five nominees are weak.

Out of Sight is better.
Gods And Monsters is better.
Something About Mary and Rushmore are better but comedies.....

I think it was much more than an average movie. :scratch:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea was stolen from the Sullivan Brothers, right?

Sullivan brothers - Wikipedia.

To me the classic Spielberg ending with the air force winning at the last second cheapened the movie somewhat but It's a great film and no Shakespeare in Love was NOT better.

I liked Shakespeare in Love. It was a fun romantic film with the Shakespeare "hook". But how many remember much about it now?

I remember telling my wife Shakespeare in Love would be nominated as we left the theater. I honestly don't remember that much about it now, though. But it was a very good movie. I'm one of those who thinks SPR is overrated aside from the opening. There was also the hand-to-hand combat scene where the one guy was finally slowly knifed to death while his alleged buddy & comrade just hid around the corner that has stayed with me over the years.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember telling my wife Shakespeare in Love would be nominated as we left the theater. I honestly don't remember that much about it now, though. But it was a very good movie. I'm one of those who thinks SPR is overrated aside from the opening. There was also the hand-to-hand combat scene where the one guy was finally slowly knifed to death while his alleged buddy & comrade just hid around the corner that has stayed with me over the years.

Agreed. Pretty painful to watch.

I think Spielberg wanted to show the American army for the type of citizen army it was.. So a lot of stories.

Like Mrs. Rachel Troubowitz or something and her multi-paneled girdle. Miller being an English teacher. etc.

I think he did a good job..

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avatar was overrated imo. Great special effects, weak story..

Sophisticated, well done special effects serve to transport the viewer into the movie space as they so brilliantly did in Avatar. Nothing has even been done like that. And you saw it throughout the movie.
It didn't need a complex, involved story that might detract from the experience. A basic good vs evil, cavalry vs the Indians theme was all that was needed to support a great visual experience even if predictable.

That's not what the Academy is about though, and why we have Oscar winners like low impact films Hurst Locker and Moonglow.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sophisticated, well done special effects serve to transport the viewer into the movie space as they so brilliantly did in Avatar. Nothing has even been done like that. And you saw it throughout the movie.
It didn't need a complex, involved story that might detract from the experience. A basic good vs evil, cavalry vs the Indians theme was all that was needed to support a great visual experience even if predictable.

That's not what the Academy is about though, and why we have Oscar winners like low impact films Hurst Locker and Moonglow.
I thought Hurt Locker was Great. Id watch Renner's character post service, in whatever that guy might be doing.

Avatar tried to make me feel guilty to be a human. It didn't work.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Hurt Locker was Great. Id watch Renner's character post service, in whatever that guy might be doing.

Avatar tried to make me feel guilty to be a human. It didn't work.

Good comment. I was rooting for the natives all that way. Screw those greedy human pricks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010 Avatar was robbed of the Oscar by a film that only earned a measly $21 million globally, Hurt Locker, because it was time for a woman to get Best director. Perhaps also somehow to pay tribute to our troops in Iraq. Political bullshit.

Avatar was an expertly done really bad movie. It showed all of James Cameron's gaping flaws in storytelling.