• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Oscars / Academy Awards Best Picture Winners

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not disagree more.

The opening set the mindset of Captain Millers squad. This was what they all JUST went through, now they have to abandon their stated mission in order to save one kids life. Why is he worth more that them? Why is he worth more than the brothers they lost on the beach? Why is he worth more than the mission they hit the beach for?

The opening sequence was incredibly important to everything that followed.

Well we just disagree, I thought it was an average movie with an incredible but unnecessary beginning sequence.
One I feel the movie is both better and worse for having. Better because its far better than the rest. Worse because its not really part of the story.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The English Patient was not in the league of Fargo.

Forrest Gump is not in same universe as Shawshank.

Dances with Wolves is no Goodfellas.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought Rocky was Stallone's best acting job in his entire career
Have you ever seen "Cop Land"....one of the most underrated movies in a long time. Stallone did an excellent job.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slumdog Millionaire is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.

It is a genuinely terrible movie.
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I get that people don't like Crash but it worked as a movie even if people didn't like the message. Slumdog Millionaire could've been written by a 6th grader

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titanic....biggest overrated piece of shit ever. My wife and I were thrilled when Leo DeCaprio finally sank to the bottom of the Atlantic, and we could leave and go out for a drink.

Might have been a bit better if Cameron hadn't made a 3 hour movie about a sinking that took 2 hours. Not having DiCaprio in it would have helped as well.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forrest Gump is not in same universe as Shawshank.
I think this is forgivable. Personally, I think Gump is the clear #3 that year behind Shawshank and Pulp Fiction but its easy to see that people were easily persuaded by Gump's likable characters and 60s atmosphere. Imo, Forrest Gump is probably in the top 50% of winners.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we just disagree, I thought it was an average movie with an incredible but unnecessary beginning sequence.
One I feel the movie is both better and worse for having. Better because its far better than the rest. Worse because its not really part of the story.

There were plenty of great scenes in that movie. Heartbreaking, gut wrenching. Good characters.

The scene where Miller is talking to Ryan and he realizes that he's saving one of his dumbass students was great.

The end with the Air Force saving the day was something of a joke.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were plenty of great scenes in that movie. Heartbreaking, gut wrenching. Good characters.

The scene where Miller is talking to Ryan and he realizes that he's saving one of his dumbass students was great.

The end with the Air Force saving the day was something of a joke.

There was no Air Force in WWII........just sayin.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titanic beating out LA Confidential was brutal.

And I'd have gone Pulp Fiction over Gump.

But Ordinary People beating out Raging Bull let alone Elephant Man was the one that made me never waste time watching the Oscars again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing I agree, especially since it was from a comic book (sort of) and they seem to be the order of the day now.
I think, for the most part, the Academy prides itself in snubbing big box offices.

There are exceptions, of course (Avatar and Titanic come immediately to mind), but this is the general rule.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 1956 Around the World in 80 Days won Best Picture over
1) Giant
2) The King and I
3) The Ten Commandments

I have to call a BIG WTF on that.
While I enjoyed the movie that won, it in no way was better than the other 3.
Even without the benefit of hindsight, how does that movie even win.

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread can go on forever. With that, Shakespeare in Love was a very good movie, but SPR was a masterpiece that year. Hollywood hates Spielberg.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014. I liked Birdman more than Whiplash, Theory of Everything, American Sniper and Imitation Game. Didn't see Selma but it was probably a better movie than 12 years a Slave. I'm good with that

2013. Wolf on Wall St by a mile. Didn't care for Captain Phillips and Her is compelling but that type of movie probably shouldn't win.

2012. Argo and Lincoln were decent. Django was good but not the type that should win. A weaker year imo

2011. Artist was brilliant. Midnight in Paris was a bit of a ripoff but actually quite good. Descendents and Extremely Loud were both good 'feels' movies but not timeless. Pretty much everything nominated was decent. A stronger year.

2010. I liked the Social Network the most. A better Whiplash. Inception was just eye candy. Black Swan was much better than the anime it was based on. King's Speech is a real feel good movie so I don't have a problem with it winning. Winter's Bone is a sneaky good movie.

2009. Up is the most memorable, actually. In retrospect, I think it should've won. I enjoyed Up in the Air and Inglorious Basterds a lot. Hurt Locker and District 9 were in the right places at the right time. Neither are great.

2008. Ugh. They probably shouldve thrown a bone to Frost/Nixon or Dark Knight.

2007. Id be ok with There Will Be Blood getting it but No Country For Old Men is one of my favorites. Atonement is solid. I like Juno, too but not at that level.