• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Oscars / Academy Awards Best Picture Winners

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While going thru the list of all of the 'Best Pictures' I found that there were quite a few that I have never seen.
But some I still can't believe won 'Best Picture'.
There were years that I thought the other movies that were up for it that same year would have been a much better choice, given the test of time. But that doesn't necessarily make them bad movies.

For me, the worst "Best Movie" ever, and I have 2.
1) Annie Hall 1977 - Just a terrible movie. With Star Wars up that year, this one takes a double dip.
2) 12 Years a Slave 2013 - This movie never grabbed me. Was bored all the way thru it.

check them out here
Academy Award for Best Picture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other movies I think got robbed in their particular year:
1969 Winner - Midnight Cowboy over Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
1981 Winner - Chariots of Fire over Raiders of the Lost Ark

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Crash is one of the unanimous winners of "worst best ever". Even the director said as much lol

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another movie that got the shaft.

1983 Winner - Terms of Endearment beats out The Right Stuff

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Birdman sucked.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe movie fans should pick the winners instead of the academy.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Braveheart was a piece of crap.

I actually do think Terms Of Endearment is better than The Right Stuff, but do not think either are great movies. Terms of Endearment has some great acting performances. The Right Stuff is good but so long.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slumdog Millionaire is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.

Literally, the whole movie is a guy who coincidentally gets a bunch of questions on a game show right, and the message is that "Love overcomes all," since the guy is in love with a woman and has an epiphany. What? Why does a bunch of coincidences equal proof of fate?

And even if it did, what's the big message there? It's like calling the Blues Brothers a deep movie because their "love" for the kids conquered all. Or that every romantic comedy in history is a great movie since they wind up together and it is proof that "love conquers all." You can't just have a character have a sudden epiphany and use it as proof of a strong message. How lazy is that?

To make it even worse, the movie won because the press said it was an "underdog" because it was a small-budget film using Indian actors. Only that wasn't true. It had a fairly big budget and was directed by an A-List director. So it represents the ultimate in Hollywood hypocrisy: It won because it supposedly challenged racist and ethnocentric assumptions, but in doing so, it's backers relied on racism and ethnocentric assumptions.

It is a genuinely terrible movie. There are plenty of average movies which are considered failures as best pictures because of the movies they won over (eg Crash). But only Slumdog is legitimately on the Gigli level of true awfulness.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a travesty in 1998 when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a travesty in 1998 when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture.

I agree. Saving Private Ryan was awesome, Shakespeare? Not so much.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titanic....biggest overrated piece of shit ever. My wife and I were thrilled when Leo DeCaprio finally sank to the bottom of the Atlantic, and we could leave and go out for a drink.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't be a popular opinion, but...the only reason Rocky won was because it was a weak year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going through the recent awards...

2014 - I liked Birdman more than most did. I didn't LOVE it, but I appreciated it for the artistic takes it took. I still think Whiplash or Sniper should have won, though.

2013 - I never saw Slave, so I can't really speak to its victory. But Nebraska was an amazing movie. I would have loved to see it win.

2012 - strong year. Zero, Playbook, Djengo all could have easily won. Argo was a good choice as well, though.

2011 - never saw Artist, so I can't speak to it. Loud and Close was a powerful movie once you got past the apparent bad acting of the kid (if you paid attention, though, it wasn't bad acting). Help was also good.

2010 - another strong year, but I think they got it right with Kings Speach. Toy Story 3 is the only other, IMHO that was good enough, but I don't think it should have won over Speach.

2009 - Probably the most recent "travesty". I like war flicks. I did not like Hurt Locker. Avatar, while the story was just "meh", the production value of that movie was just awe-inspiring. To this day, the greatest SFX ever (the opening scene of Antman was amazing, though, but more on a Forrest Gump level than an Avatar level). Basterds also should have finished higher than Locker. This was the first year of the extended nomination format. I wonder if that effected the outcome?

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titanic....biggest overrated piece of shit ever. My wife and I were thrilled when Leo DeCaprio finally sank to the bottom of the Atlantic, and we could leave and go out for a drink.
And you had to wait 3 hours for that....

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, that was a weak set of nominees. Of the nominees I do think Saving Private Ryan should have won but to me it would be one of the weaker winners ever. The beginning sequence is fantastic. The rest is very average and the ending is comically melodramatic. Plus as great as the beginning is, it doesn't really fit in the movie.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that was a weak set of nominees. Of the nominees I do think Saving Private Ryan should have won but to me it would be one of the weaker winners ever. The beginning sequence is fantastic. The rest is very average and the ending is comically melodramatic. Plus as great as the beginning is, it doesn't really fit in the movie.
I could not disagree more.

The opening set the mindset of Captain Millers squad. This was what they all JUST went through, now they have to abandon their stated mission in order to save one kids life. Why is he worth more that them? Why is he worth more than the brothers they lost on the beach? Why is he worth more than the mission they hit the beach for?

The opening sequence was incredibly important to everything that followed.